Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Back Home
Reload this Page >

Why did I not love this country before???????

Why did I not love this country before???????

Old Sep 17th 2019, 4:54 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why did I not love this country before???????

Originally Posted by durham_lad

I too come from a very blue collar dark and depressing northern mining town, and my wife grew up in the dark satanic mills of Lancashire in a very blue collar family

We also planned to just spend summers here and actually set everything up and started the process, with a home in Texas and one in Yorkshire. It lasted all of one summer and we are so happy to be back! To be fair we had spent the previous 6 years living outside of Texas during the summers but during every Texas winter, frost and snow free though it was, we found ourselves desperate to leave again. The long summers away included various other US States, Canada, Australia and Ireland. Over 3 years back here and every day still feels like we are on holiday.
Off topic, but as a durham_lad who's travelled in Canada, did you know that there's a village in Co. Durham (near Barnard Castle) called Toronto?
Old Sep 17th 2019, 6:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Off topic, but as a durham_lad who's travelled in Canada, did you know that there's a village in Co. Durham (near Barnard Castle) called Toronto?
Certainly do, in fact we were very close to it on Saturday when we went to Kynren at 11 Arches in Bishop Auckland.

Did you know that George Washington’s family is from Durham and their family coat of arms is above one of the doorways in Durham Cathedral? The Washington coat of arms of Stars and Stripes was said to have inspired the US flag.
Old Sep 17th 2019, 8:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

There's one called Quebec as well.
Old Sep 17th 2019, 9:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by curleytops
There's one called Quebec as well.
I did not know that! I see that it is almost exactly a 1hr drive from where I live now, just to the west of Durham City.
Old Sep 17th 2019, 11:41 pm
Forum Regular

kateg60 is an unknown quantity at this point

Ha, describes me to a T. Hope I can return soon; 32 years and counting.
Old Sep 18th 2019, 8:13 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Certainly do, in fact we were very close to it on Saturday when we went to Kynren at 11 Arches in Bishop Auckland.

Did you know that George Washington’s family is from Durham and their family coat of arms is above one of the doorways in Durham Cathedral? The Washington coat of arms of Stars and Stripes was said to have inspired the US flag.
Ah. Kynren was how we stumbled across it too. We've visited Washington Old Hall as well and of course, the Cathedral.
Old Sep 18th 2019, 8:16 am
Born again atheist

I did not know that! I see that it is almost exactly a 1hr drive from where I live now, just to the west of Durham City.
Nor did I. @curlytops, do you know the origin of the name?
Old Sep 18th 2019, 8:52 am
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

Nor did I. @curlytops, do you know the origin of the name?
No, you've got me stumped there Novo.
Old Sep 18th 2019, 12:25 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by curleytops
No, you've got me stumped there Novo.
Wikipedia suggests that the names were applied by local landlords to their property - Quebec to farmland and Toronto to a mine - inspired by the Canadian cities and the villages that grew up around them took them on. Really quite interesting given we’re so used to the reverse happening.
Old Sep 18th 2019, 12:43 pm
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Wikipedia suggests that the names were applied by local landlords to their property - Quebec to farmland and Toronto to a mine - inspired by the Canadian cities and the villages that grew up around them took them on. Really quite interesting given we’re so used to the reverse happening.
That is (roughly) the case for Toronto Durham. The whole story i was told is that the farmer who owned the fields near there travelled to Canada in the 1880s(?) to visit a brother who had emigrated and while he was there he received a cable/telegram informing him that a rich coal vein had been discovered on his property. When he returned he founded a colliery and called it Toronto Colliery. He also built houses for the colliery workers which were the beginnings of Toronto Village.
Old Sep 25th 2019, 12:34 pm
Just Joined

Dianepatricia is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jensmate
Backstory...left UK in 1977 for Pennsylvania, Florida and Vermont. Retired and came back five months ago after 41 years.

I love this country! I love walking down to Folkestone Harbour, buying a £2 pot of cockles, dousing them in vinegar and eating them while watching the fishing boats dip and sway in the tides.
I love the fact that I can walk to anything I need: doctors surgery, optometrist, library, bus station, Folkestone Centrai railway station, Boots, Debenhams, TK Maxx, Bon Marche ,Sainsburys, Asda, Lidls, , WH Smiths, Waterstones...especially Waterstones!
I love the fact that I don't need....nor do I want....a car.
I love going apple and plum picking on a sunny afternoon.
I love sharing an allotment and eating my own butternut squash, Blue Lake beans, Pink Fur Apple spuds, red and blackcurrants and rhubarb
i love sitting on the top deck of the bus and seeing the Kent countryside, the sheep, orchards, woods and meadows on the way to and from Canterbury.
I love the fact that Ottinge Court Farm has a machine that dispenses raw milk into one's own containers for £1.00 per liter!!!!!!!!
I even love the seagulls who, nightly, roost on my apartment roof, preen, pull out their loose feathers and spit them with deadly accuracy onto my bedroom balcony.
But why did I not love this country before I left?

The callousness of youth. Not seeing the wood for the trees and thinking that the grass was greener......

I missed a lot. I missed seeing a pessimistic country mired in gloom, strikes, power cuts and mismanagement bloom into a country that is, for all it's faults, pretty forward thinking, efficient (in it's its own wierdly inefficient ways) and, despite the shadow of Brexit, thriving.
In a huge number of ways the grass in the US was greener on 1977. I went to a country that was forward thinking, optimistic, and happy. I went to a country that was inclusive; which fostered the belief that anyone could get an education and achieve anything they wanted if they worked hard. I lived in a country that had such promise only to watch it slowly disintegrate into the realm of racism, sexism, homophobism and third world ideas governed by a lunatic that is the US today.
​​​​​​
Anyway, 41 years of water under the bridge and I'm thrilled to be home. Unlike many Brits who completely lose accents, settle and become truly American I never assimilated. Rather like Herdwick sheep, I am hefted to this countryside and this country. My accent and inflections do give me away and I find that embarrassing but given time they will fade.

Well this all got a bit deep, didn't it?
Time for more tea and Hobnobs......
Welcome home! I am trying to make the same decision to move back to Scotland having been in Boston, Massachusetts for 20 years. Never really felt I fitted in but have adult kids here. Can you tell me how long it took to make the move back home in terms of finding a place to stay in England, moving your possessions overseas, etc. Off to tge,supermarket to the international section to buy hob nobs!!