Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Back Home
Reload this Page >

Why did I not love this country before???????

Why did I not love this country before???????

Old Dec 5th 2018, 2:50 pm
Forum Regular

Caroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why did I not love this country before???????

scot47 - very interesting article. Thanks for sharing.
Old Dec 7th 2018, 9:05 pm
Forum Regular

Sammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of light

Love the thread hopefully heading back to England after 30 years in USA once hubbys spousal visa is approved. I love cockles and the fact that you can walk so much in the UK. I will also miss many things about the USA it has been my home for over half my life and I am so glad I had this opportunity.
Old Dec 10th 2018, 2:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

https://bellacaledonia.org.uk/2018/1...j753j6wUrXPgnQ

Another alternative view of what has been happening. Guaranteed to have the Blimps and Kippers raging !
Old Dec 10th 2018, 3:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
Another alternative view of what has been happening. Guaranteed to have the Blimps and Kippers raging !
Any chance that an independent Scotland would have its own King again, Scot? Are there any descendants of MacBeth among the living?
Old Dec 10th 2018, 10:56 am
Forum Regular

Jensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond repute

Hello All
it's a mild morning here in Folkestone; a bit of sunshine, a few whitecaps out there on the Channel and the fragrance of other peoples' breakfasts wafting through my window. I'm enjoying my second cup of coffee and thought I would revisit my post and give an update.

I read all the new posts and here is a message to all those who are abroad and are longing to return home: make a plan, keep at it and you WILL come home. Having a plan is important. It keeps one focused.Write it down and revisit it often. In the meantime, work hard, save and make the most of what your present country of residence can provide. All your experiences will be brought back with you and will ultimately make the UK a richer and more vibrant place.

I brought back a wholeheartedly optimistic, can-do attitude from my time in the States. Nothing is impossible; anything can be accomplished.
It irritates a lot of people especially those who think that their lot in life is someone else's fault, all ways has been someone else's fault and always will be someone else's fault. The EU's fault. The fault of the immigrants. Especially it's the government's fault.
Take responsibility for your lives people!

How many years, decades, did I long to be able to visit my sister on a regular basis? Now, Senior Railcard in hand, and a 2 hour and 10 min train journey later, she meets me at the station. We spend the next 48 hours lunching and laughing, shopping and laughing, crafting and laughing, sitting in front of the fire and reminiscing and laughing....
I left at 21 and she was 35. We are now 63 and 77. Athough there have been illnesses and deaths, marriages and divorces, remarriages and children, grandchildren and great grands in those 42 years between, it's like I left yesterday. We have become older but far more wiser and ultimately better friends..

Christmas is almost upon us and I have to say, after experiencing the excesses surrounding US holidays, UK retail excesses top the lot.
So much Christmas ... STUFF.
Perhaps it's the result of a more secular society that it has swapped Christian worship for retail worship? Perhaps it's because there is so much more disposable income now than there's ever been? Perhaps I notice because Christmas in the US is secondary to Thanksgiving but here Christmas is the year's MAIN EVENT? And it's mostly made of plastic or plastic wrapped.
For a country the complains it's drowning in plastic, recycles like the Dickens and prohibits giving away supermarket plastic bags.......it certainly seems hell bent on using more of the stuff.

Someone asked how I kept fit after retirement? Not having a car, I walk. E v e r y w h e r e.

Cafe Society. Folkestone has a plethora of wonderful cafes and eateries. And I have discovered that some of these offer my new favourite bevvy. Coffee with liqueur. After a hard days shopping in Asda, browsing books in Waterstones and picking up a pound of Battle of Britain sausages at the butcher's requires a pick-me-up at The Commons....a latte with a brandy added. A winter warmer, although it's hardly winter with these mild temperatures. Remember, I lived in Vermont....if its above 0C, its mild.

So, all going well thus far.

Last edited by Jensmate; Dec 10th 2018 at 11:13 am.
Old Dec 11th 2018, 1:02 am
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the update. Glad to know everything is working out fine.
Old May 31st 2019, 10:14 am
Just Joined

happy-go-lucky-lass is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jensmate
Hello All
it's a mild morning here in Folkestone; a bit of sunshine, a few whitecaps out there on the Channel and the fragrance of other peoples' breakfasts wafting through my window. I'm enjoying my second cup of coffee and thought I would revisit my post and give an update.

I read all the new posts and here is a message to all those who are abroad and are longing to return home: make a plan, keep at it and you WILL come home. Having a plan is important. It keeps one focused.Write it down and revisit it often. In the meantime, work hard, save and make the most of what your present country of residence can provide. All your experiences will be brought back with you and will ultimately make the UK a richer and more vibrant place.

I brought back a wholeheartedly optimistic, can-do attitude from my time in the States. Nothing is impossible; anything can be accomplished.
It irritates a lot of people especially those who think that their lot in life is someone else's fault, all ways has been someone else's fault and always will be someone else's fault. The EU's fault. The fault of the immigrants. Especially it's the government's fault.
Take responsibility for your lives people!

How many years, decades, did I long to be able to visit my sister on a regular basis? Now, Senior Railcard in hand, and a 2 hour and 10 min train journey later, she meets me at the station. We spend the next 48 hours lunching and laughing, shopping and laughing, crafting and laughing, sitting in front of the fire and reminiscing and laughing....
I left at 21 and she was 35. We are now 63 and 77. Athough there have been illnesses and deaths, marriages and divorces, remarriages and children, grandchildren and great grands in those 42 years between, it's like I left yesterday. We have become older but far more wiser and ultimately better friends..

Christmas is almost upon us and I have to say, after experiencing the excesses surrounding US holidays, UK retail excesses top the lot.
So much Christmas ... STUFF.
Perhaps it's the result of a more secular society that it has swapped Christian worship for retail worship? Perhaps it's because there is so much more disposable income now than there's ever been? Perhaps I notice because Christmas in the US is secondary to Thanksgiving but here Christmas is the year's MAIN EVENT? And it's mostly made of plastic or plastic wrapped.
For a country the complains it's drowning in plastic, recycles like the Dickens and prohibits giving away supermarket plastic bags.......it certainly seems hell bent on using more of the stuff.

Someone asked how I kept fit after retirement? Not having a car, I walk. E v e r y w h e r e.

Cafe Society. Folkestone has a plethora of wonderful cafes and eateries. And I have discovered that some of these offer my new favourite bevvy. Coffee with liqueur. After a hard days shopping in Asda, browsing books in Waterstones and picking up a pound of Battle of Britain sausages at the butcher's requires a pick-me-up at The Commons....a latte with a brandy added. A winter warmer, although it's hardly winter with these mild temperatures. Remember, I lived in Vermont....if its above 0C, its mild.

So, all going well thus far.
I just want to say I love your posts and your wonderfully upbeat writing style. Thank you -I visited this thread many times when I was feeling low and homesick, and it always made me smile. I can't wait to come 'home' and scoff BBQ hoola-hoops and get up at dawn to hear the birds' singing. x
Old May 31st 2019, 1:55 pm
Forum Regular

Jensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by happy-go-lucky-lass
I just want to say I love your posts and your wonderfully upbeat writing style. Thank you -I visited this thread many times when I was feeling low and homesick, and it always made me smile. I can't wait to come 'home' and scoff BBQ hoola-hoops and get up at dawn to hear the birds' singing. x
Hello hgll
Ah! Homesick and low....I'm so very sorry and I can empathize having been there too. I cant speak for the Hula Hoops but I can assure you that, when the time comes, those birds will be singing for you too. I hope your plan is in place and that you can see the light (home) at the end of the tunnel.
Best wishes.
Old May 31st 2019, 8:57 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Hello hgll
Ah! Homesick and low....I'm so very sorry and I can empathize having been there too. I cant speak for the Hula Hoops but I can assure you that, when the time comes, those birds will be singing for you too. I hope your plan is in place and that you can see the light (home) at the end of the tunnel.
Best wishes.

Old Sep 8th 2019, 3:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Irish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to behold

Oh that made me smile each time we go back to the U.K. for holidays, my hubby and me do just that get the front seats on the bus and close our eyes sometimes, but love every minute 😊😊😊
Old Sep 8th 2019, 2:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

How did I miss this thread? Beautiful opening post and sentiments that match our own. In 1977 my wife and I graduated from university and started our working careers. In 1987 we moved to Texas with our 2 young children looking for adventure and a better life. We had an excellent 29 years there but once we had retired the tension in life’s bungee cord anchoring us to England increased, and visits back just made it stronger until 7 years after retiring we moved back, leaving the 2 children in Texas and California.

We absolutely love being back, but the surprising thing for us is that our son moved back about 18 months after we did. He was only 5 when we left so really has very few memories of his former life. (We have moved back to the small town he was born in.) He has now been back 2 years and also loves the culture, being able to walk everywhere, the seasons and the weather. He still has a distinctive American accent and when folks discovered that he voluntarily left Texas to come work in Yorkshire they are gob-smacked.
Old Sep 17th 2019, 3:48 am
Forum Regular

Rorypens is an unknown quantity at this point

​​​​​​
Anyway, 41 years of water under the bridge and I'm thrilled to be home. Unlike many Brits who completely lose accents, settle and become truly American I never assimilated. Rather like Herdwick sheep, I am hefted to this countryside and this country. My accent and inflections do give me away and I find that embarrassing but given time they will fade.

So true, I am way for 36 years now and having just retired I spent 2 months of this summer in UK and I ABSOLUTELY loved it. I was so surprised how much Having been quite "never will go back" for the last 36 years I really shocked myself.
Old Sep 17th 2019, 9:15 am
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rorypens
So true, I am way for 36 years now and having just retired I spent 2 months of this summer in UK and I ABSOLUTELY loved it. I was so surprised how much Having been quite "never will go back" for the last 36 years I really shocked myself.
Very interesting how surprised at yourself you were—and will you, Rorypens, like Jensmate and so many others, come back for good, do you think?

Jensmate, your posts are wonderful. Thank you for them. I love the way you celebrate the joy of your return but you also credit your time in the USA for much that was good, like the "can-do" optimistic attitude. It's an attitude I—despite growing up in the UK!—have always had, so on that front I felt at home in the USA. On many other fronts, I didn't; like you, I was always "hefted to this landscape" and I just missed it more and more.

Durhamlad, your words, too, are clear and evocative and resonate with me, especially your image of the bungee-cord linking you to UK and the way it becomes tighter and tighter as time goes on....

I am so glad to be back here and I try, as jensmate does in the second post, not to take it for granted even though it's five and a half years now, and to remind myself of how much I longed to do the things I now can do easily. Be with my siblings and mother, have meals together or just pop in for a cuppa, visit an ancient church or Cathedral, sit in an English park, enjoy the countryside by bus rides hither and yon (we too are living without a car), go for walks in town or country, and just the general Englishness/ Britishness of everything. Even silly things like the bad puns in newspaper headlines. Even a respectable broadsheet had as headline, after the theft of that piece of artwork (?!), a lavatory made of solid gold, from an exhibit in Blenheim Palace: "Solid gold toilet stolen...police have nothing to go on."

Ok that is silly and I hope you don't think it reflects my general level of intellect!!!! But seriously, there's a widespread love of language, puns, and wordplay here that I missed in the USA.

Unlike jensmate, I did love this country before. But being young, loving languages, and naturally wanting to explore, I left after college to live in Italy, for what I thought would be two years. I loved living there, and met and married my USC husband there, so ended up there for five years. At the end of that time I was feeling homesick for the UK and beginning to recognise that, but now married and with a child and with DH the wage-earner, couldn't even think of going back there, as our lives pointed to his career in the US; so I went for love, not for an idea of a better life.

All these expat stories are so interesting! This is a great forum to share experiences.
Old Sep 17th 2019, 9:28 am
Forum Regular

Rorypens is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by between two worlds
Very interesting how surprised at yourself you were—and will you, Rorypens, like Jensmate and so many others, come back for good, do you think?

Thats a very interesting question. The truth is probably no BUT I am considering returning for the summer months - I don't think the winter months would be my thing. I definitely see me 2 or 3 months a year there though which is a big change from my prior poor attitude towards my home country. If the summers were longer I would stay longer. Having come from a very blue collar dark and depressing northern mining town I seem to have developed an insatiable desire to have a summer cottage in the south west ;+) Maybe its age?

Old Sep 17th 2019, 4:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rorypens
Thats a very interesting question. The truth is probably no BUT I am considering returning for the summer months - I don't think the winter months would be my thing. I definitely see me 2 or 3 months a year there though which is a big change from my prior poor attitude towards my home country. If the summers were longer I would stay longer. Having come from a very blue collar dark and depressing northern mining town I seem to have developed an insatiable desire to have a summer cottage in the south west ;+) Maybe its age?
I too come from a very blue collar dark and depressing northern mining town, and my wife grew up in the dark satanic mills of Lancashire in a very blue collar family

We also planned to just spend summers here and actually set everything up and started the process, with a home in Texas and one in Yorkshire. It lasted all of one summer and we are so happy to be back! To be fair we had spent the previous 6 years living outside of Texas during the summers but during every Texas winter, frost and snow free though it was, we found ourselves desperate to leave again. The long summers away included various other US States, Canada, Australia and Ireland. Over 3 years back here and every day still feels like we are on holiday.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.