We made it

Old Jan 19th 2014, 5:06 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: We made it

Originally Posted by feelbritish
A friend said to me to get a CRB check before I even leave Canada but I am not sure it is possible. It apparently can take anything from 8 weeks to 3 months to get one done! Wonder if it is possible?
The NHS does their own CRB/DBS, so no control over it. Mine did only take about 3.5 weeks to finally get done, it was getting the appointment to go in with all your evidence and also getting an Occupational health appointment all takes time.
Didn't help that the person who offered me the job went off sick the next day for two weeks, so nothing was mailed out to me to get those things done until she got back to work.
Old Jan 19th 2014, 9:10 pm
Forum Regular

Choccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond repute

Had a great day out today - Covent Garden, Trafalgar Square, National Portrait Gallery, Buckingham Palace, pie and mash and a clear blue sky. Just wandering around the gallery made me realise how much I had missed that kind of thing. Did keep thinking all the time "hubby would have liked that" Oh well will just have to do it all again when he gets here.
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 12:41 am
Forum Regular

Lestergirl will become famous soon enoughLestergirl will become famous soon enough

Well done Choccie on getting home and I hope it all falls into place soon. I had a CRB done and got it back in 10 days..I moved to UK from USA and had it done to work with Children. I didnt have to provide anything except a photo ID and copy of birth cert.
Old Jan 29th 2014, 9:27 pm
Forum Regular

Choccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond repute

I wish it was the same for my CRB they have had birth certificate, passport and a letter from solicitor but are still insisting on an opening statement from the bank which had to be requested from head office and has so far not turned up 10 days later. Oh well I will have to be patient I guess.

At least someone wants to employ me here which is more than can be said for when I was in NZ.
Old Jan 29th 2014, 10:25 pm
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Choccie
Had a great day out today - Covent Garden, Trafalgar Square, National Portrait Gallery, Buckingham Palace, pie and mash and a clear blue sky. Just wandering around the gallery made me realise how much I had missed that kind of thing. Did keep thinking all the time "hubby would have liked that" Oh well will just have to do it all again when he gets here.
Did you take your son on this outing? If so, did he enjoy it? I'm curious how you're entertaining your teen as I'll be in the same boat in a couple of months. I just hope mine gets a job or into a course asap to meet people otherwise I suspect there will be challenges.
Old Jan 30th 2014, 8:22 am
Forum Regular

Hi

Yes son did come along and really enjoyed it. Having his sister there helps with the embarrassment of being with Mum and Auntie I'm sure!

We haven't had any luck getting him into school or college so he will have to wait till September. He has joined a basketball team and applied for a couple of jobs so fingers crossed something comes up soon as he is getting a tad on the bored side now. No Xbox at the moment either so that's not helping matters.

Hoping to get him to join the gym then at least that will give him something else to do during the day.

Apart from that I can only really wait until he gets soooo bored he'll take any old job

Where are you heading back to? Will it just be you and son for a while?
Old Jan 30th 2014, 10:46 am
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Yes son did come along and really enjoyed it. Having his sister there helps with the embarrassment of being with Mum and Auntie I'm sure!

We haven't had any luck getting him into school or college so he will have to wait till September. He has joined a basketball team and applied for a couple of jobs so fingers crossed something comes up soon as he is getting a tad on the bored side now. No Xbox at the moment either so that's not helping matters.

Hoping to get him to join the gym then at least that will give him something else to do during the day.

Apart from that I can only really wait until he gets soooo bored he'll take any old job

Where are you heading back to? Will it just be you and son for a while?
Yes, hopefully in April. I thought we would just travel around for a while but I've now been told by my teen that "stability" is more desirable so I guess if I've any chance of making it work we'll have to pick a home base asap.

I grew up in Kent and have family in Surrey and want to have a look at Oxfordshire/Gloucestershire. I want to have chickens in the country and everyone else wants to commute to London. Talk about making it hard.
Old Feb 18th 2014, 8:25 pm
Forum Regular

Hi all

Hubby arrived safely on Valentine's morning (best Valentine's pressie ever!)

We have bought a car and pick it up tomorrow. I start my new job on Monday. No date for exchanging contracts yet so will keep chasing them. Our boxes have been shipped and dogs will be following soon. The cat is very happy in her new home apparently.

Feeling very settled at the moment just wish we could get into our own place. Have been busy looking at furniture. Loving all the choice.

The nights are not so dark now and there are daffs appearing so roll on Spring.
Old Feb 18th 2014, 9:06 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds better and better.
Old Feb 18th 2014, 10:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Karrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya Choccie,

Congrats on the move and thank you for sharing your journey with us. Can I ask you about the basketball thing? My son is basket ball mad and we're planning a move back in two years. He'll be twelve and he's really involved in playing basketball. I'm a bit nervous as nobody played it when I was a kid. Is the sport growing for youth?
Thank-you!
Old Feb 19th 2014, 8:29 am
Forum Regular

Hi

Basketball seems to be growing here. There was a more local team to us but they had been going a while so we opted for one further away that is getting established just so as my son wouldn't be the only new one and make it easier for him to slot in.

The local college also have a team and an accelerated programme that he is hoping to get on to - they have asked him to sign up already and if accepted they get extra conditioning training ect. It helps with him being so tall - I'm sure he's grown since we got back - mind you he is loving all the choice of food on offer so that's probably what's done it!
Old Feb 22nd 2014, 9:47 am
Forum Regular

glemo is a glorious beacon of lightglemo is a glorious beacon of lightglemo is a glorious beacon of lightglemo is a glorious beacon of lightglemo is a glorious beacon of lightglemo is a glorious beacon of lightglemo is a glorious beacon of lightglemo is a glorious beacon of lightglemo is a glorious beacon of lightglemo is a glorious beacon of lightglemo is a glorious beacon of light

Interesting to read your threads, many thanks.
I haven't lived and worked proper in the UK since 1978. Presently in the US and making plans to return with US spouse.
Still at least somewhat hesitant , still have a couple of years to work before hanging up coat. Some issues on possible downsizing and handling changes in the UK.
Old Mar 18th 2014, 8:18 pm
Forum Regular

Hi all

A bit more of an update for you. We are still waiting to move into our house - seems to be a really slow process and has caused us to delay flying the dogs over 4 times now.

I have started work and am adjusting to shift work.

Hubby was over for 4 weeks and is now back in NZ. he has given his notice in so will be back mid May (counting the days already)

Son seems to be fairly settled and has a place for college in September. Still hoping to get a job in the meantime. He's obviously getting a bit bored and missing his Dad. He has his sisters visit to look forward to and then it will only be 4 weeks until his Dad is back.

Eldest daughter and bf will be here in about 2 weeks so really looking forward to seeing them.

I'm in love with Superdrug - all their own brand products are vegetarian/vegan and cruelty free - all at really great prices.

Haven't been to the theatre yet but it's great not having to squeeze everything in to a couple of weeks.

Still very happy to have made the move but will feel even better once we are in our own place and we are all together again.

Hope everyone else making the move is doing well.
Old Mar 20th 2014, 11:29 am
Forum Regular

Well we finally have a date to move into our house. The day before our daughter and bf arrive - which makes it rather a rush and panic to get sorted especially with shift work. Have been out and organised one bed and a lounge suite (the shop are lending us one until ours is made) so at least that's a start!

Dogs can finally leave on 31st March.

All coming together finally.
Old Mar 22nd 2014, 2:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Brigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud of

I'm in love with Superdrug - all their own brand products are vegetarian/vegan and cruelty free - all at really great prices.

Sold on the vegan choices. Good to know that there are other placed to get vegan items other than Whole Foods