Two years ago today...

Old Jul 1st 2017, 2:51 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Two years ago today...

...was the day I retired from the job I'd done for 22 years in Toronto. It was also the day after we completed the sale of our house in Richmond Hill which we'd occupied for all of those 22 years and two days before we got on a plane back to the UK, arriving there on July 4th. What a wonderful day to be leaving North America after a total of 31 years there on and off since 1977 (the rest of the years were in Germany).

We'd owned a house in France (from which I'm posting) since 2007/8 and it was the original plan to retire there, but in the end we decided to buy another home (an apartment in a low rise complex on the bank of the River Tyne in Newcastle).

There were two strands of thought in that decision, one was the bureaucratic confusion between EU citizenship and EU residency and the other, more important one, was that my FIL in Newcastle was in need of assistance and care and we both thought that we should do our bit to help.

We did just that and we know that it made a huge difference to the last year and 8 months of his life, which ended in February this year.

At the moment, we have no plans to change our circumstances: we love living in Newcastle and we love living in Normandy. Six months per year in each is ideal.

I have two sisters (and matching BILs) who we've seen a lot of since we came back, my wife has a sister (and I have a 3rd BIL) who we've seen even more of.

We're currently arranging a celebration of my FIL's life on July 24th here in France, which would have been his 90th birthday. we will scatter his ashes where his wife's were scattered 5 years ago, in a place they both loved.

We left 2 adult sons in Canada who will be at the event later this month and, as an unexpected bonus, the eldest is travelling on a one way ticket. He's coming back to Europe too.

Life is good.
Old Jul 1st 2017, 6:34 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Two years ago today...

Has it really been 2 years since your farewell get together? I could have sworn it was only last summer.

Thanks for the update...sounds like you are enjoying retirement.
Old Jul 2nd 2017, 3:53 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Two years already. Erm .... where has that time gone. I better get me skates on if time is going to move that fast.

I'm very pleased for you that life is good and working out so well.

One son down. One to go.
Old Jul 2nd 2017, 8:07 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Has it really been 2 years since your farewell get together? I could have sworn it was only last summer.
It took me the best part of a year to shake off the hangover after that.
Old Jul 2nd 2017, 8:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
...was the day I retired from the job I'd done for 22 years in Toronto. It was also the day after we completed the sale of our house in Richmond Hill which we'd occupied for all of those 22 years and two days before we got on a plane back to the UK, arriving there on July 4th. What a wonderful day to be leaving North America after a total of 31 years there on and off since 1977 (the rest of the years were in Germany).

We'd owned a house in France (from which I'm posting) since 2007/8 and it was the original plan to retire there, but in the end we decided to buy another home (an apartment in a low rise complex on the bank of the River Tyne in Newcastle).

There were two strands of thought in that decision, one was the bureaucratic confusion between EU citizenship and EU residency and the other, more important one, was that my FIL in Newcastle was in need of assistance and care and we both thought that we should do our bit to help.

We did just that and we know that it made a huge difference to the last year and 8 months of his life, which ended in February this year.

At the moment, we have no plans to change our circumstances: we love living in Newcastle and we love living in Normandy. Six months per year in each is ideal.

I have two sisters (and matching BILs) who we've seen a lot of since we came back, my wife has a sister (and I have a 3rd BIL) who we've seen even more of.

We're currently arranging a celebration of my FIL's life on July 24th here in France, which would have been his 90th birthday. we will scatter his ashes where his wife's were scattered 5 years ago, in a place they both loved.

We left 2 adult sons in Canada who will be at the event later this month and, as an unexpected bonus, the eldest is travelling on a one way ticket. He's coming back to Europe too.

Life is good.
Glad it worked out ! No place like home.

Old Jul 2nd 2017, 8:26 am
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

Life is good.

The same day we left almost 4 years ago
Glad you are still loving it as much as we are Novo. Heres to many more good years
Old Jul 2nd 2017, 8:30 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

I'm glad it's working out well for you Novo. All the best...
Old Jul 2nd 2017, 1:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

NiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond repute

Lovely to hear how well things are going and that you got to have that time with your FIL.
Old Jul 2nd 2017, 5:18 pm
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by Lorry1
Glad you are still loving it as much as we are Novo. Heres to many more good years
Originally Posted by Editha
I'm glad it's working out well for you Novo. All the best...
Originally Posted by NiHao
Lovely to hear how well things are going and that you got to have that time with your FIL.
Thanks for these kind comments.

It hasn't always been plain sailing though. Health problems that would or could have happened anywhere have been in play, especially for my OH. I've mentioned elsewhere that in October last year she tripped over her own feet and fractured both her elbows. She has also since been diagnosed with osteoporosis which is no doubt not unconnected.

She worked hard at rehab and has regained essentially full range of movement in her elbows and takes great care now in preventing further injury.

Time marches on for all of us but (fingers crossed) I've escaped with no problems so far. Astonishingly, given certain previous lifestyle choices.
Old Jul 5th 2017, 10:26 am
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for these kind comments.

It hasn't always been plain sailing though. Health problems that would or could have happened anywhere have been in play, especially for my OH. I've mentioned elsewhere that in October last year she tripped over her own feet and fractured both her elbows. She has also since been diagnosed with osteoporosis which is no doubt not unconnected.

She worked hard at rehab and has regained essentially full range of movement in her elbows and takes great care now in preventing further injury.

Time marches on for all of us but (fingers crossed) I've escaped with no problems so far. Astonishingly, given certain previous lifestyle choices.
Sorry to hear of your OH's health problems, Novo. Other than that, I'm glad all is well for you in England & France (you lucky git! )
Old Jul 6th 2017, 5:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Two years I can't quite believe that. Sounds like a fab and worthwhile and well plannned exit. Best wishes for everything, sounds ideal in many ways.
Old Jul 6th 2017, 7:38 am
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for update both the good and the bad because it gives a balanced view of being back home. You sound like you are blessed with a good balanced lifestyle in your retirement.
Old Jul 6th 2017, 9:15 pm
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by feelbritish
Thanks for update both the good and the bad because it gives a balanced view of being back home. You sound like you are blessed with a good balanced lifestyle in your retirement.
Thank you, although I bridle a bit at the word blessed. Hard work and solid planning play a role, but neither of those have much to do in staving off health issues
Old Jul 7th 2017, 8:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Life is good.

What a lovely outcome to a sad (your FIL passing) / happy (your settled and enjoying living in Europe and a son joining you) story. My father passed away after suddenly loosing his sight and for two years we were able to spend time caring for my Dad and I would not of missed that time with him for the world and what a lovely sentiment to your in laws, I hope all goes well for you "celebrations" in France.
Old Jul 7th 2017, 8:28 pm
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by brits1
What a lovely outcome to a sad (your FIL passing) / happy (your settled and enjoying living in Europe and a son joining you) story. My father passed away after suddenly loosing his sight and for two years we were able to spend time caring for my Dad and I would not of missed that time with him for the world and what a lovely sentiment to your in laws, I hope all goes well for you "celebrations" in France.
He was, I suppose, "only" my father-in-law, but I knew him and respected him for more than the 45 years since I asked him for his daughter's hand in marriage. My own father died when I was 38 years old and I didn't respect him much at all. Such is life.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.