Two weeks back

Old Mar 21st 2016, 2:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Two weeks back

We had been talking of returning for a month or two and had got as far as putting the house on the market and getting the dog his rabies jab.

We assumed we would probably move around May time. I had started to look at job opportunities and 3 weeks ago was asked to have a skype interview. Well, that went well and I was offered the role. Onloy catch, they needed me to start a week later!

So, in a week, we sold or gave away all our possessions except 8 boxes of personal items that are currently in a move cube and booked tickets for me, my wife and dog. The later two had to wait a week after me while the dogs 21 day vaccine period finished.

I arrived Sunday 8th and started work two days later. My wife has been here a week now.

We initially stayed in an Air BnB. Which was fantastic. At the weekend we moved into an apartment on a 6 month lease in Windsor. Not ideal with a dog, but we didn't have a lot of time to secure somewhere as the Air BnB was going to run out. It is though very close for work.

We have also managed to get the essentials - gumtree and family have been great.

Impressions - Not a lot has changed in 8 years, though it feels more multi cultural, which is a positive to us.

The weather has been good (I hated the heat and love cooler climates). Had a fair bit of sunshine and cold nights. Perfect walking weather.

The job is great and a very good boss - already secured a day at Ascot in the Royal Box via him.

Finding most things a lot cheaper - except for rent which is extortionate, but that is Windsor and we will be looking for somewhere a fair way out for longer term. Looking at south Oxfordshire villages

Family and friends have been great and lots of people desperate to catch up and spend time with us and lots of things booked. Off to a good restaurant in London next weekend and took the dog for his first trip to a pub. Had to make it a good one so did The Hinds Head in Bray (Hestons Pub). (Note to Australian publicans - if dogs can be allowed in a Michelin starred pub, you need to think about why they not allowed in the hovels that count as pubs there)

Already planning a little holiday for late summer and going to take use of the pet passport and the three of us are going off to France.

So, overall, a wonderful return.
Old Mar 22nd 2016, 12:35 am
wish I wasn't here!

Sparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Two weeks back

Sounds great and just what i needed to read, as we are returning in May and it is happening a lot faster than my husband expected, but i have a job offer and they will wait until the end of may thankfully. Good luck.
Old Mar 24th 2016, 6:43 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

You will be fine. Where are you headed to?

If you need short term accommodation, I strongly recommend Air BnB
Old Mar 24th 2016, 6:58 am
wish I wasn't here!

Sparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by verystormy
You will be fine. Where are you headed to?

If you need short term accommodation, I strongly recommend Air BnB
My job offer is with plymouth uni, so somewhere between there and exeter. Will look at airbnb, did use it last year when we stayed in LA and was excellent

Cheers
Old Mar 30th 2016, 6:37 am
BE Forum Addict

You will be fine. Plymouth and Exeter are Uni towns and the students will have just finished up - most finish mid May and so landlords start getting desperate to fill places. The weather will also be warming up nicely.

Although to be honest, we are nicely surprised with the weather - had a couple of rain days, but most have been bright sunshine. In fact I am at work at the moment and had to pull some of the office blinds down because it is too sunny!
Old Mar 30th 2016, 9:58 pm
wish I wasn't here!

Originally Posted by verystormy
You will be fine. Plymouth and Exeter are Uni towns and the students will have just finished up - most finish mid May and so landlords start getting desperate to fill places. The weather will also be warming up nicely.

Although to be honest, we are nicely surprised with the weather - had a couple of rain days, but most have been bright sunshine. In fact I am at work at the moment and had to pull some of the office blinds down because it is too sunny!
That is sounding good. Only 7 weeks I think until we are over and am looking forward to it.
Old Mar 31st 2016, 10:28 am
BE Forum Addict

If you want any practical help let me know.

Some things I have experienced or others I know have:

1. Getting a long term rental was easy - even where we are near London.
2. We found opening a bank account was easy, though some have found it hard. If you have a UK bank account still that will be a plus. One of the things you can do if the bank need proof of address is get your UK drivers license with the address on it. Mine came within a few days of ordering on line. The other is to ask the council for an interim council tax bill.
3. Are you bringing any pets? If so I can waffle on about this as we brought our Chihuahua and would say it was a positive experience though I couldn't believe how jet lagged he was!
4. Doctors - we have found it easy to register with a GP, though are a bit shocked at how long you can wait for an appointment. I dropped my registration forms in yesterday and asked for an appointment as I need medication. They are currently offering mid April appointments!!! But, that may just be where we are.

Let me know if you want to know anything.
Old Mar 31st 2016, 7:35 pm
wish I wasn't here!

Thanks verystormy for the information, really appreciate it.

Thankfully we do still have a bank account, although not the greatest account it will do for now.
Good to hear rental was easy to find even with a dog, as we have a toy poodle who is travelling back with us. I found in NZ it was a huge problem to find decent accommodation.
Poor poodle might be jet lagged too, she will be almost 12 when she travels.
GP - so no change there in the wait times - you have to book in advance just in case you are unwell! But I suppose that is the pay off for not having to spend $56 for every visit.

If there is anything I will be sure to give you a shout and good luck, it sounds like it is going well.