Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Back Home
Reload this Page >

Three years back today - still happy!

Three years back today - still happy!

Old May 30th 2016, 7:14 am
BE Enthusiast

aries has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Three years back today - still happy!

Originally Posted by MissBetty
Hello my Phish Food loving friend ha ha! Yes nearly three years for you too isn't it? Most days I feel like I've never been away, I'm reallly happy and totally settled here now.

A good friend of mine was over from Oz recently and I met his new fiancée, she's a really lovely girl and we got on famously. They have invited me to their wedding in Qld next year and, I'm sorry to say, I have no intention of going. I am so happy for them as its a 'late in life' relationship but I just hate the thought of going back, it holds no appeal for me whatsoever.

Well I'll be looking out for your update in a few weeks then, great to hear from you x
I'm wondering if going back for the wedding will be something more pleasing to associate Oz with compared with your other experiences. I know what you went through and I don't blame you for being bitter, but your friends are different.

I was invited to a family wedding in Adelaide last year, unfortunately I couldn't attend because of health reasons, and the bride's father (my niece's husband) has since died from cancer. He was younger than me, a quiet but a true blue Aussie, it shows that we never know what life has in store.
Old May 30th 2016, 7:19 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Good to hear from you again, it's funny but I was only thinking we hadn't heard from you for a while about a month ago. Glad everything seems to be coming together for you and that you are getting over the toxic time you had in OZ.
Old May 30th 2016, 8:04 am
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hello my Phish Food loving friend ha ha! Yes nearly three years for you too isn't it? Most days I feel like I've never been away, I'm reallly happy and totally settled here now.

A good friend of mine was over from Oz recently and I met his new fiancée, she's a really lovely girl and we got on famously. They have invited me to their wedding in Qld next year and, I'm sorry to say, I have no intention of going. I am so happy for them as its a 'late in life' relationship but I just hate the thought of going back, it holds no appeal for me whatsoever.

Well I'll be looking out for your update in a few weeks then, great to hear from you x

I love the Ben & Jerry's Nutella core ice cream too now

As aries says....it may be an idea to attend the wedding as it will be a good memory of OZ for you, rather than a hurtful memory of toxic colleagues.

I am not adverse to visiting Canada again, in fact I am ready now and could probably quite enjoy a couple of weeks there. I had no issues of toxic colleagues like yourself, I just didn't feel at home and was bored of Nova Scotia. My hubby on the other hand is not ready to return as he didn't want to leave, he was happy there. Likewise we do not want to take my youngest back yet for fear it would set her back settling here.

Oh and there's something I forgot to say! Do you all remember when my Dad got cancer and I asked for time off to look after him and the offshore company I worked for let me go?
Well how's this for karma - they went BANKRUPT!!!!! Just goes to show eh?!!

KARMA is a bitch!
Old May 30th 2016, 9:43 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Great !

Glad it's all good.

I was wondering where you had got to. Thanks for the update.

You went through hell at a certain level in Aus.

Now you're back and despite riding the highs and lows you've got your life back.

Yeah, karma regarding the crappy company that 'let you go' when your Dad had cancer and only had a year left to live.

(There was a front page article in our local paper here in NZ that several posts in the local authority are being cut, with the name and job title of each person affected. (New Chief Executive started earlier this year, I guess that's what his brief was.) One of the posts affected, which is the personnel guy that has been on every interview panel regarding a job I was being interviewed for there, as is standard practice. His name is on the list, publicly named and 'shamed' well, effectively having your redundancy notice on the front page of the local paper, can't be great. Gee that's just to bad.) Yeah, karma.

Last edited by Snap Shot; May 30th 2016 at 9:45 am. Reason: grammar
Old May 30th 2016, 12:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Hello M! Wow not long for you now, so pleased for you as I know it's been such a long process!

It's funny isn't how nasty people can be and for no reason, it seems so many people mistake kindness for weakness, they think they can treat you like crap and get away with it. That's why I love working with my elderly patients, they're so stoic, polite, grateful and generally just lovely - they have a wicked sense of humour too!!!! There will never be another generation like them - sadly!

Like I said before, even though it was an awful experience it made me quit that job and place and, like you, it's the best thing I could have done. I got to spend that last year with my Dad and now my life is pretty good while they're all still there, bitching, fighting and being evil to my replacement. I'm still in touch with Gay Boss and he tells me all the news, nothing's changed and I'm so glad to be away from all those toxic people!!!

Good luck with everything I'll be looking out for your news
I am still in touch with a few of my old work mates. One tells me that the atmosphere is toxic for her to. She needs to work until December and then she starts work as a teacher. She can't wait to get out of there. Makes you wonder how Gay Boss has stuck it out this long. Anyway, it seems that my health was taking a hit being there, so now I am in much better shape - and I have recovered my sanity, haha!

I have been volunteering with some older folk and I love them too. Of course, I am not far away from them age-wise, and OH is already there! I plan on continuing to do that in the UK. Am on all kinds of charity Twitter accounts for the elderly and following along with the good stuff they do over there. DD works a lot with the elderly in her job as a cvicu nurse. They are her favs too.

Getting excited about packing up and leaving. Would like to be out of here before election day
Old May 30th 2016, 12:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorry1
KARMA is a bitch!
+1
Old May 30th 2016, 5:04 pm
Practical Paramedic

MissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aries
I'm wondering if going back for the wedding will be something more pleasing to associate Oz with compared with your other experiences. I know what you went through and I don't blame you for being bitter, but your friends are different.

I was invited to a family wedding in Adelaide last year, unfortunately I couldn't attend because of health reasons, and the bride's father (my niece's husband) has since died from cancer. He was younger than me, a quiet but a true blue Aussie, it shows that we never know what life has in store.
I see what you're saying and you make a good point, I'd be happy to go back to Perth - where I grew up - to see family and friends for a holiday it's I just never want to set foot in Qld ever again! I love Perth, such an amazing pretty city, I have such fond memories of growing up there and I love spending time there. If I'd have gone to Perth I do think things might have panned out very differently but then again, who knows?

I did go back 5 months after I arrived in the UK for work and stayed on for a few weeks with friends in Qld but I didn't enjoy it. I'd just resent spending thousands of pounds of my hard earned money to go somewhere I don't like, I'd rather spend the money on a trip to Japan or something!
Old May 30th 2016, 5:05 pm
Practical Paramedic

MissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Good to hear from you again, it's funny but I was only thinking we hadn't heard from you for a while about a month ago. Glad everything seems to be coming together for you and that you are getting over the toxic time you had in OZ.
Hi Mike! Yes I'm still around, pop in now and then for a quick catch up! Thanks for the good wishes, hope all is good with you too
Old May 30th 2016, 5:12 pm
Practical Paramedic

Originally Posted by Lorry1
I love the Ben & Jerry's Nutella core ice cream too now

As aries says....it may be an idea to attend the wedding as it will be a good memory of OZ for you, rather than a hurtful memory of toxic colleagues.

I am not adverse to visiting Canada again, in fact I am ready now and could probably quite enjoy a couple of weeks there. I had no issues of toxic colleagues like yourself, I just didn't feel at home and was bored of Nova Scotia. My hubby on the other hand is not ready to return as he didn't want to leave, he was happy there. Likewise we do not want to take my youngest back yet for fear it would set her back settling here.

KARMA is a bitch!
Nutella ice cream?!!!! Sign me up lol! I see what your saying but, like I said to Aries, I wouldn't mind going back to Perth to see my friends and family I just don't want to go back to Qld ever again. I just have no interest in going back to that particular part of Oz and I'd resent spending thousands of pounds that I'd rather spend on something I really want to do. I only work part time so I have to be very careful with my money. I could earn a lot more but tbh my time is far more precious to me these days, a trip to Perth might be on the cards next year - never say never!
Old May 30th 2016, 5:19 pm
Practical Paramedic

Originally Posted by Snap Shot
Great !

Glad it's all good.

I was wondering where you had got to. Thanks for the update.

You went through hell at a certain level in Aus.

Now you're back and despite riding the highs and lows you've got your life back.

Yeah, karma regarding the crappy company that 'let you go' when your Dad had cancer and only had a year left to live.

(There was a front page article in our local paper here in NZ that several posts in the local authority are being cut, with the name and job title of each person affected. (New Chief Executive started earlier this year, I guess that's what his brief was.) One of the posts affected, which is the personnel guy that has been on every interview panel regarding a job I was being interviewed for there, as is standard practice. His name is on the list, publicly named and 'shamed' well, effectively having your redundancy notice on the front page of the local paper, can't be great. Gee that's just to bad.) Yeah, karma.
Hi mate and yes karma won in the end! Actually my Dad died only 6 weeks after he was diagnosed so to lose my job as well at the same time was such a blow. Couldn't believe it when I saw it in the papers that they'd gone under and yes, I did laugh my a*** off!!!!

I'm not a vindictive person but it's nice to see them and that guy you mentioned get their comeuppance - faith in the universe restored

Yes all good here now, quite settled, just finished work for the week not back in til Sunday now so this week am going dog walking, lunching and reading my latest library book. Might even go to the pics this week, 'Me Before You' is out, I may go alone with my hanky as I know I will blubber - the book was a real tear jerker lol!!! Plus I've got a night out Fri dancing, it's been a while but I'll give it a go!

Great to hear from you hope all is well with you and your hubby
Old May 30th 2016, 5:25 pm
Practical Paramedic

Originally Posted by Perth
I am still in touch with a few of my old work mates. One tells me that the atmosphere is toxic for her to. She needs to work until December and then she starts work as a teacher. She can't wait to get out of there. Makes you wonder how Gay Boss has stuck it out this long. Anyway, it seems that my health was taking a hit being there, so now I am in much better shape - and I have recovered my sanity, haha!

I have been volunteering with some older folk and I love them too. Of course, I am not far away from them age-wise, and OH is already there! I plan on continuing to do that in the UK. Am on all kinds of charity Twitter accounts for the elderly and following along with the good stuff they do over there. DD works a lot with the elderly in her job as a cvicu nurse. They are her favs too.

Getting excited about packing up and leaving. Would like to be out of here before election day
Ooh yes Election Day - best off out of there me thinks!

Gay Boss never gets any hassle, he's been in the job 30 years, has loads of friends in high places and he's a senior officer. I lost my rank and some of my advanced skills when I went to Oz even though I've got 20 years in, I didn't mind but it made me an easier target than him.

Yes things are easier now, I like being part time, I've taken a drop in money but I don't 'spend it like Beckham' now because I'm happy and don't need to comfort shop. I've learnt to save up for things and manage my money better, the alternative would be to go back to work full time but there no way I'd want to do that unless I had no choice whatsoever!
Old May 31st 2016, 11:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Ooh yes Election Day - best off out of there me thinks!

Gay Boss never gets any hassle, he's been in the job 30 years, has loads of friends in high places and he's a senior officer. I lost my rank and some of my advanced skills when I went to Oz even though I've got 20 years in, I didn't mind but it made me an easier target than him.

Yes things are easier now, I like being part time, I've taken a drop in money but I don't 'spend it like Beckham' now because I'm happy and don't need to comfort shop. I've learnt to save up for things and manage my money better, the alternative would be to go back to work full time but there no way I'd want to do that unless I had no choice whatsoever!
I'm with you there. I have an aversion to collecting stuff. I was a minimalist before it became fashionable. We tend to spend our money on experiences instead. All money right now being saved for the trip over though. We are buying business class tickets since the flight is so long. OH is 6ft 4in and needs a little more leg room. Me - I just need a bit more space in general between me and a bunch of strangers if we have to be confined for longer than a couple of hours
Old May 31st 2016, 1:57 pm
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

Nutella ice cream?!!!! Sign me up lol! I see what your saying but, like I said to Aries, I wouldn't mind going back to Perth to see my friends and family I just don't want to go back to Qld ever again. I just have no interest in going back to that particular part of Oz and I'd resent spending thousands of pounds that I'd rather spend on something I really want to do. I only work part time so I have to be very careful with my money. I could earn a lot more but tbh my time is far more precious to me these days, a trip to Perth might be on the cards next year - never say never!
I know what you mean. Although I am ready to visit Canada again, TBH I would rather spend my time & money over here visiting the different Countries of Europe.