British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Back Home (https://britishexpats.com/forum/back-home-158/)
-   -   A Place to Visit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/back-home-158/place-visit-888448/)

scot47 Dec 4th 2016 1:15 pm

A Place to Visit

On a recent trip to Inverness I went on my first visit to Culloden Battlefield. To my surprise I found it very moving - depsite the hundreds of touristst. Needless toi say hundreds from South nof the Bordewr and Over the Pond and hardly a Scots voice to be heard !

Of late I have been reflecting on my preconceptions and prejudices about Scorttish and Brirtish History. Suffice it to say that I now have a more positive attitude to those who died for the Stuarts. Mt Whigish and Covenanting prejudices are morphing into a respect for "The King Over The Water".

Editha Dec 6th 2016 7:07 am

Re: A Place to Visit

It is many decades since I visited Culloden, but my experience then was similar to yours.

robin1234 Dec 6th 2016 7:28 am

Originally Posted by scot47 (Post 12120963)
On a recent trip to Inverness I went on my first visit to Culloden Battlefield. To my surprise I found it very moving - depsite the hundreds of touristst. Needless toi say hundreds from South nof the Bordewr and Over the Pond and hardly a Scots voice to be heard !

Of late I have been reflecting on my preconceptions and prejudices about Scorttish and Brirtish History. Suffice it to say that I now have a more positive attitude to those who died for the Stuarts. Mt Whigish and Covenanting prejudices are morphing into a respect for "The King Over The Water".

I've had a similar gradual evolution of political preconceptions. Suffice it to say that, born in 1950 and studying history at A level and university, the Whig version of history was unchallenged and my teachers were Marxists - the orthodoxy of the time. Now, I still have a soft spot for Oliver Cromwell but I also think of King Charles I as a saint and martyr. It's partly a result of visiting medieval churches and seeing the vandalism and destruction wrought by the iconoclasts.

I think the Hanoverian Kings were more or less the right thing at the right time ... But I suppose I'm looking at them through an English rather than a Scottish lens.

Editha Dec 6th 2016 10:17 pm

Robin, if your teachers were Marxists, then surely they must have challenged the Whig view of history? Or they wouldn't have been Marxists, would they?

robin1234 Dec 7th 2016 8:04 am

Originally Posted by Editha (Post 12123159)
Robin, if your teachers were Marxists, then surely they must have challenged the Whig view of history? Or they wouldn't have been Marxists, would they?

True but I think back in the 1960s Marxists and Whigs agreed on the perfectibility of man, especially after a few drinks.

Novocastrian Dec 7th 2016 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by robin1234 (Post 12123467)
True but I think back in the 1960s Marxists and Whigs agreed on the perfectibility of man, especially after a few drinks.

It seems improbable that Whigs and Marxists ever had a drink together. You never know though. We may live in a multiverse.

The Whigs weren't great champions of the working class either, largely because it hadn't been invented back then.

robin1234 Dec 8th 2016 7:47 am

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 12123956)
It seems improbable that Whigs and Marxists ever had a drink together. You never know though. We may live in a multiverse.

The Whigs weren't great champions of the working class either, largely because it hadn't been invented back then.

Well, the Whigs I'm talking about definitely lived in the twentieth century, and I'm pretty sure some of them sipped sherry in the SCR with Marxists!

The Whig Tradition — Faculty of History

Editha Dec 8th 2016 9:05 am

G.M. Trevelyan is regarded as the last great historian of the Whig tradition. He died in 1903. His life of Garibaldi, and his three volume social history of England are still worth reading.

robin1234 Dec 8th 2016 9:46 am

Originally Posted by Editha (Post 12124289)
G.M. Trevelyan is regarded as the last great historian of the Whig tradition. He died in 1903. His life of Garibaldi, and his three volume social history of England are still worth reading.

He died in 1962. I actually remember reading (or hearing on the radio) that he'd died.

Editha Dec 8th 2016 10:15 am

I beg your pardon. Oh well, he was around long enough to have had a drink with E.P. Thompson and Christopher Hill.

Novocastrian Dec 8th 2016 11:36 am

Originally Posted by Editha (Post 12124289)

I'm not sure that being a historian of the Whig tradition is the same thing as being a Whig. A historian of the whig tradition is just a mouthy old fogey eulogising Victorian Britain (and ignoring it's obvious faults).

scot47 Dec 9th 2016 9:19 am

Mary Queen of Scots

That is not just for those who look to "The King over the Water".

Editha Dec 9th 2016 10:58 am

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 12124361)
I'm not sure that being a historian of the Whig tradition is the same thing as being a Whig. A historian of the whig tradition is just a mouthy old fogey eulogising Victorian Britain (and ignoring it's obvious faults).

Clearly you haven't read the whig historians.

Novocastrian Dec 9th 2016 11:35 am

Originally Posted by Editha (Post 12125252)
Clearly you haven't read the whig historians.

Actually I have read Trevelyan's English Social History (admittedly 40 years ago).

I think The Archers do better at producing maudlin rubbish.

scot47 Dec 9th 2016 6:09 pm

The Whigs I am referring to were the political and religious tendency in `17th and 18th century. Not the ghastly Establishment Historians of Oxford !