Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Back Home
Reload this Page >

One Year back in the UK: My Reflections

One Year back in the UK: My Reflections

Old Jun 8th 2008, 6:42 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: One Year back in the UK: My Reflections

Originally Posted by LizaJane
you should get your facts right before you get so patronizing
If you have an issue with a Moderator's post please take it up by pm with the Mod concerned.

Nasty comments are not wanted on BE, and I would have said so myself, had Rete not got there first. There has been more than one offender in this thread, they should ALL take a step backwards and a deep breath.
Old Jun 8th 2008, 6:55 am

Triboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pollyana
If you have an issue with a Moderator's post please take it up by pm with the Mod concerned.

Nasty comments are not wanted on BE, and I would have said so myself, had Rete not got there first. There has been more than one offender in this thread, they should ALL take a step backwards and a deep breath.
Disagree there Polly. What your saying is a mod can call someone out in public, but any recourse has to be in private?
Old Jun 8th 2008, 6:58 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Triboy
Disagree there Polly. What your saying is a mod can call someone out in public, but any recourse has to be in private?
I didn't write the ruls, and thats what the rules say.
Old Jun 8th 2008, 7:00 am

Triboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I didn't write the ruls, and thats what the rules say.
oh ok. I didn't know it was a rule (yeah yeah I know I should read em one day )
Old Jun 8th 2008, 10:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Pugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Rete
In all fairness you do not know the OP. However, you were quick to jump on him as were all the others who don't share his opinion.

Because he has an angry looking avatar (which btw is a ref who is always angry) you attribute that emotion to him.

Time to realize that you are inflicting your emotions to his words. He didn't come across angry and the name calling started with others and not with him.

Suggestion: Pull back, take a breath and go play elsewhere.
Rete
SM
Are you serious? If you are then yes, I do have an issue with your post. Take a look at my posts and that of others then take a look at the OP'S use of offensive sexual profanity (including his original rant) and then try being fair, hey?
Old Jun 8th 2008, 11:24 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pugsy
Are you serious? If you are then yes, I do have an issue with your post. Take a look at my posts and that of others then take a look at the OP'S use of offensive sexual profanity (including his original rant) and then try being fair, hey?

I read the entire thread before posting and while I perhaps should have not singled you out (for which I publicly apologize) there are many of you on this thread who are apparently newbies and are quick to jump on the back of others who do not share your thoughts and emotions.

Again, I ask that you (the collective "you") take a step back, a deep breath and relax. NJDave is entitled to his opinion as are those who believe otherwise.
Old Jun 8th 2008, 11:40 am
BE Enthusiast

LizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Rete
I read the entire thread before posting and while I perhaps should have not singled you out (for which I publicly apologize) there are many of you on this thread who are apparently newbies and are quick to jump on the back of others who do not share your thoughts and emotions.

Again, I ask that you (the collective "you") take a step back, a deep breath and relax. NJDave is entitled to his opinion as are those who believe otherwise.
I hope this also applies to OP? This all seems a little one sided, OP was very offensive to posts not in agreement.
Old Jun 8th 2008, 12:07 pm
Forum Regular

bramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to behold

Blimey! What's happened to this forum

I haven't visited here for a while and I thought that I would pop in and give an update.

Not a chance now though, too frightened of saying the wrong thing and getting rocks thrown at me
Old Jun 8th 2008, 5:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

chance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NJ_Dave
On May 10th of last year, I touched down at Heathrow having spent the past two years living in the USA. Although I left New Jersey a little prematurely (as far as I'm concerned) for personal reasons (yes, that means you -whore!) I guess it's time to reflect on the past year an talk about what I've learnt from my experiences. So let's start off with the classic British moan: the weather. When I left Newark airport last year, the weather was sunny and pushing into the 80's in terms of temperature. I came back to the UK to experience one of the coldest and wettest summers on record. So that's 1-0 USA so far! Another thing that struck me was the expense of everything here as opposed to America. Whether it be TV subscriptions, internet access or even basic consumer goods (televsions, etc.) the UK is a very expensive place to live. When I left the UK a pint of lager in my local was £2.35 and now it's £2.70. However the minimum wage doens't seem to have increased all that much. Don't even get me started on fuel prices here. It's embarrassing to even suggest a comparison to fuel prices in the USA. Even for New Jersey, which has some of the highest fuel prices in the USA, it still looks cheap in comparison the the UK. Sad things is that a lot of the cost of petrol in the UK is tax. Which is another thing: what's going on with taxes in the UK? Well the newspapers published several MP's expense claims, so I guess we know now. Crime in the UK: at least in the USA there were no go areas, and you knew not to go there. But in the UK, the gangs of feral chavs seem to be everywhere causing bother. And the police don't seem to bother doing anything about them, as they're too busy picking on motorists and people who overfill their wheelie bins! Knife crime seems to be the big thing in the news at the moment (and yes, I mean the news in general. Not just the usual scaremongering newspapers). Why do so many people carry knives these days, I though this was a civilised country. But when so many people are going out 'tooled up' we look more like some tin-pot banana republic. Then there is the welfare dependancy. Note, I'm not getting at everyone on benefits. The great thing about the UK is that it offers a safety net to those who are down on their luck. But the system was never designed as a long term means of support for people. So it makes me mad as fook when I have to work my arse off to pay for people who have never worked and have no intention of working, to sit around smoking and popping out more little chav babies (who, inevitably I'll end up paying for). But one good thing about the UK is the cost of education. I'm paying a little over £3000 a year to go to law school here, whereas if I was still in the USA I dare not even hazard a guess at what it would cost me. Another plus for the UK is the countryside. Not much of that in the Tristate Area, lol. But on the flip side you can hardly compare Newcastle and Durham to New York City in terms of sights and things to do (although they are still a good night on the piss!). So in conclusion, if you're ever lucky enough to get out of the UK: don't come back. Your initial issues with the place will not only still be there, but they will seem a whole lot worse having been away for a while. And that is why I waited a year to reflect properly in regards to my return. No knee-jerk reactions, just expereinces from a re-adjusted former ex-pat.............
Ok, im going to try to get back to the OP, have skirted over the last few pages, of which there’s nothing really worth commenting on.

I’ve been back a couple of years now and can see why OP sees things the way he does.
For the most part it’s true – BUT it’s not a British phenomenon. The thing is, when there is crap, crime, useless laws and we are not settled – we personalise all that’s wrong. Please be honest – referring to your OP…..have you personally been a victim of knife crime in the last year? Has your local policeman stopped the binmen emptying your bin? Do all youths really go out tooled up all the time? (I always find it interesting when people slag off teenagers except their nieces, children, friends kids etc. Bit like saying I’m not racist – I talk to my next door neighbour who’s black) You’re off to Amsterdam in a bit – is there really nothing to do? Do you know anyone who can’t get a job because a Pole has it (or do they really think working for Tesco is beneath them?)

I take it you aren’t as personally affected by all you say as it sounds………However, although we can agree that violence and crime is a worldwide, not a British problem, you are in Britain so you will slag Britain off. Just as those unhappy in US/OZ will slag off their host country as they are living there and don’t want to be.

What I’m trying to say is you have to try to be pragmatic. The WORLD is a violent, sometimes terrifying place – but what also makes us human is that it is also good and kind. It’s hard to see that (though I appreciate you tried in your post) when you’re not where you want to be. Take a few minutes to think about what you have and what is good. You are getting free education. You are off to Amsterdam. Presumably you will have some good banter there. You may be going with some British people (again –are they all right only cos they’re your friends/family/neighbours?)

A year in the UK, I felt like you sound. I go through periods of being very angry with myself for coming back. This year, the difference is I am not so arrogant to assume the UK should be Utopia to help me settle back. It owes me nothing. It’s a place, like any other. The real strength of character is found when however low you get, you can see that you are still a rich person in many ways. You have family, friends, health, a roof over your head, an education. Whether you stay or go, there will be knife crime wherever you live – you can’t alter this alone. All you can do is live the life you have to the fullest and best you can.

No-one should be so arrogant to suggest somewhere is better than somewhere else as though it were a fact. The fact is, you should live wherever you can cope with the global breakdown of society best. For some it’s the UK, with its “warts and all” familiarity and comforts, for others the challenge of the new. If you are someone who would prefer “the new”, go for it but remember – when you get down to the nitty gritty, its no Utopia anywhere and deal with it.

Equally, when people get upset when others moan about their new country and expect it owes them something, I get upset when people come back to the UK thinking it owes them something. It doesnt. You, and you alone, owe it to yourself to make the best life possible you can, and deserve to live where you want to. But its not the country's fault you are there and unhappy. Thats yours. For the most part (I dont know your cicumstances) people choose to come home. Then get on with it. Be that by having a glass full attitude or by focusing your energy for the next move.

I genuinely wish you well with your plans to leave again.

C

Last edited by chance to be; Jun 8th 2008 at 5:43 pm.
Old Jun 8th 2008, 7:38 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LizaJane
you should get your facts right before you get so patronizing
It's her job to monitor this place 24x7

http://redwing.hutman.net/~mreed/warriorshtm/nanny.htm
Old Jun 8th 2008, 7:49 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B
It's her job to monitor this place 24x7
Wouldn't that be the definition of Super Moderator?
Old Jun 8th 2008, 8:00 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
Wouldn't that be the definition of Super Moderator?
No, we daren't joke about a Super Moderator.. http://redwing.hutman.net/~mreed/warriorshtm/admin.htm
Old Jun 8th 2008, 8:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bramblebush
Blimey! What's happened to this forum

I haven't visited here for a while and I thought that I would pop in and give an update.

Not a chance now though, too frightened of saying the wrong thing and getting rocks thrown at me
Nah, dont let the kids squabbling in the corner bother you, no one is going to throw rocks at you. We always like a good update.
Old Jun 8th 2008, 8:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

ezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond repute

Who moderates the Super Moderator...is there a 'Super-Dooper Moderator'?

Originally Posted by Danny B
No, we daren't joke about a Super Moderator.. http://redwing.hutman.net/~mreed/warriorshtm/admin.htm
Old Jun 8th 2008, 9:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ezzie
Who moderates the Super Moderator...is there a 'Super-Dooper Moderator'?
Shades of Dr Seuss - with all the watch watchers watch watchering watch

Ugh the sun must have gone to my head

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.