Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Back Home
Reload this Page >

One Year back in the UK: My Reflections

One Year back in the UK: My Reflections

Old Jun 7th 2008, 7:39 am

Triboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: One Year back in the UK: My Reflections

[QUOTE]Oh now come on Hutch, there was no call for that whatsoever and you know it. Bang out of order.[/QUOTE

he's good at that.
Old Jun 7th 2008, 7:53 am
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Well hello stranger, how are you?
Old Jun 7th 2008, 8:48 am

Originally Posted by St.Georges Girl
Well hello stranger, how are you?
I'm ok thanks. Been mentally busy with IronMan triathlon stuff, but am just cycle racing over winter so I have a bit more time now. Been having some fun on the Just Annoyed thread as well

How are you going?
Old Jun 7th 2008, 10:02 am
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Triboy
I'm ok thanks. Been mentally busy with IronMan triathlon stuff, but am just cycle racing over winter so I have a bit more time now. Been having some fun on the Just Annoyed thread as well

How are you going?
I haven't seen that thread, I'll have to take a peek.

When does the Iron Man competition start?
Old Jun 7th 2008, 10:39 am

Originally Posted by St.Georges Girl
I haven't seen that thread, I'll have to take a peek.

When does the Iron Man competition start?
Well I was doing the Rydges Half IM again this year (Yeppoon, QLD), but I've decided against it, so the next serious hit out will either be Canberra Half IM in Dec or IronMan NZ (Taupo) next March.

Next big things cycle racing wise are the Cootamundra Handicap (120km) at the end of Aug, then the 207km Fitz' Epic (ACT) at end Oct, then when we return from our Xmas in Vegas and SF I have the 200km Alpine Classic in Bright (Vic) at the end of Jan.

busy busy
Old Jun 7th 2008, 11:05 am
'In limboland'

Well I was doing the Rydges Half IM again this year (Yeppoon, QLD), but I've decided against it, so the next serious hit out will either be Canberra Half IM in Dec or IronMan NZ (Taupo) next March.

Next big things cycle racing wise are the Cootamundra Handicap (120km) at the end of Aug, then the 207km Fitz' Epic (ACT) at end Oct, then when we return from our Xmas in Vegas and SF I have the 200km Alpine Classic in Bright (Vic) at the end of Jan.

busy busy
I'll say and you must be super fit too.
Old Jun 7th 2008, 11:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

busy busy
Geez, glutton for punishment aren't you! The Canberra Half IM is pretty challenging - is that the one that does the 3 lake swims and several local mountains as well. Most of the entrants do it as part of a team, there arent that many individuals.
Old Jun 7th 2008, 12:12 pm

I'll say and you must be super fit too.
Nah if I was really fit I wouldn't need to do all this training At 43 it gets a bit harder each year

Geez, glutton for punishment aren't you! The Canberra Half IM is pretty challenging - is that the one that does the 3 lake swims and several local mountains as well. Most of the entrants do it as part of a team, there arent that many individuals.
No, I think you might be thinking of the Sri Chinmoy LD adventure race (which is swim, mtb ride, run, swim, mtb etc) They are a different kettle if fish (very hard also) and can be done as a team or individual.

The Half Ironman is 1.9km swim, 90km bike (done on a time trial bike which has a more stretched out position than a normal bike) and a 21km run. It can be done as a team (not all of them can, but Canberra allows it). I always do them as an individual.

The full Ironman is double those distances and in general don't allow teams, but a couple in the US allow it.

Like most things, its relatively easy to do (just train, train, train) but very hard to do well (a good time for my age group is about 5hrs30 for the Half IM and sub 11hrs for the Full IM).
Old Jun 7th 2008, 9:16 pm
Forum Regular

zerohero is a splendid one to beholdzerohero is a splendid one to beholdzerohero is a splendid one to beholdzerohero is a splendid one to beholdzerohero is a splendid one to beholdzerohero is a splendid one to beholdzerohero is a splendid one to beholdzerohero is a splendid one to beholdzerohero is a splendid one to beholdzerohero is a splendid one to beholdzerohero is a splendid one to behold

[QUOTE=hotel44;6437534]

you mention virtually nothing of the wonderful sides to Britain- the culture, galleries, theaters, nightlife, bustling cities, rolling hills, cultural awareness (i.e. the world doesnt simply consist of Australians/Americans) the constant opportunities to develop and better yourself, the proximity to Europe, the desire as a nation to see and experience other places. I could go on.

for every negative side of our country there are 5 positives and the fact that these issues are by no means exclusively British. Many of the negative things that you say about Britain are not solely a British problem but exist to varying degrees in many places; yes Britain (and most of the world) has a knife-crime issue, but every other bleeding American is packing a gun!!! And while what you say about the problems with people claiming benefits in the UK can be frustrating, no system in any country is foolproof, and i'd rather live in a country that has a system that offers help to people when they need it, because you never know where you'll find yourself one day.

(QUOTE]

This is spot on
Old Jun 7th 2008, 9:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Nah if I was really fit I wouldn't need to do all this training At 43 it gets a bit harder each year

No, I think you might be thinking of the Sri Chinmoy LD adventure race (which is swim, mtb ride, run, swim, mtb etc) They are a different kettle if fish (very hard also) and can be done as a team or individual.

The Half Ironman is 1.9km swim, 90km bike (done on a time trial bike which has a more stretched out position than a normal bike) and a 21km run. It can be done as a team (not all of them can, but Canberra allows it). I always do them as an individual.

The full Ironman is double those distances and in general don't allow teams, but a couple in the US allow it.

Like most things, its relatively easy to do (just train, train, train) but very hard to do well (a good time for my age group is about 5hrs30 for the Half IM and sub 11hrs for the Full IM).
Ah yes that would be it - dont you fancy doing the adventure race then? I did a tri once in the dark ages - it was the Sri Chinmoy baby one and I am still quite proud of it and I didnt come last (quite!). Let us know if you do the Canberra one and I will come and cheer!
Old Jun 7th 2008, 11:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

ezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond repute

Crikey Quoll...a woman of many talents...and there's me just summoning up the energy to walk the dog! Just ate a pack of chocky biscuits (therapy for frustration to find hubby STILL hasn't done anything about getting his CV together - not exactly the man with no brain, but certainly the man with no initiative - sorry all, just letting off steam - otherwise I have to eat the other pack too!!!)

Originally Posted by quoll
Ah yes that would be it - dont you fancy doing the adventure race then? I did a tri once in the dark ages - it was the Sri Chinmoy baby one and I am still quite proud of it and I didnt come last (quite!). Let us know if you do the Canberra one and I will come and cheer!
Old Jun 8th 2008, 12:12 am
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ezzie
Crikey Quoll...a woman of many talents...and there's me just summoning up the energy to walk the dog! Just ate a pack of chocky biscuits (therapy for frustration to find hubby STILL hasn't done anything about getting his CV together - not exactly the man with no brain, but certainly the man with no initiative - sorry all, just letting off steam - otherwise I have to eat the other pack too!!!)
We appear to be married to te same man.

Aaah, so that's where he has been when he says 'he's off to work'.
Old Jun 8th 2008, 12:51 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pugsy
I never said I knew you. Totally don't want to either. Actually you're the most unbalanced, nasty poster I've ever read on here, but you're entitled to be, so hey carry on...! I won't be reading it though, life is too short and apparently a heatwave in Spain today. Sunbathing to do... and the Polo's on, that's me sorted.

P.S Newsflash: You didn't rattle any cages by critisizing the UK. Swearing and name calling usually do it. And this is you being happy???? Wow.

In all fairness you do not know the OP. However, you were quick to jump on him as were all the others who don't share his opinion.

Because he has an angry looking avatar (which btw is a ref who is always angry) you attribute that emotion to him.

Time to realize that you are inflicting your emotions to his words. He didn't come across angry and the name calling started with others and not with him.

Suggestion: Pull back, take a breath and go play elsewhere.

Rete
SM
Old Jun 8th 2008, 2:45 am
BE Forum Addict

ezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, a regular Walter Mitty. Mine currently believes there's no need to expend any energy in all that silly 'planning and organising stuff', he's far more content acting out the life of a lap dog, to be pampered and pandered over. Finished the biscuits AND half a family bag of crisps!

Originally Posted by busterboy
We appear to be married to te same man.

Aaah, so that's where he has been when he says 'he's off to work'.
Old Jun 8th 2008, 6:31 am
BE Enthusiast

LizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Rete
In all fairness you do not know the OP. However, you were quick to jump on him as were all the others who don't share his opinion.

Because he has an angry looking avatar (which btw is a ref who is always angry) you attribute that emotion to him.

Time to realize that you are inflicting your emotions to his words. He didn't come across angry and the name calling started with others and not with him.

Suggestion: Pull back, take a breath and go play elsewhere.

Rete
SM
you should get your facts right before you get so patronizing

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.