Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Back Home
Reload this Page >

One Year back in the UK: My Reflections

One Year back in the UK: My Reflections

Old Jun 6th 2008, 1:19 pm
Forum Regular

tonyandwendy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 457 vias

hi we r in the process of getting a 457 visa to oz but read if you have no work for a mth etc you will have to leave oz traght away? also how long dose it take to get permint resedents on this visa.
Old Jun 6th 2008, 1:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Honest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: 457 vias

Originally Posted by tonyandwendy
hi we r in the process of getting a 457 visa to oz but read if you have no work for a mth etc you will have to leave oz traght away? also how long dose it take to get permint resedents on this visa.
Wendy/Tony,

You should ask the question on the Australia part of the forum, more help here I should imagine
Old Jun 6th 2008, 1:25 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: One Year back in the UK: My Reflections

Originally Posted by Honest_H
Don't think Grayling is having a go at Oz, think he's saying the he has a lot of experience living in UK, so is well qualified to say that Dave's rant isn't an accurate perception of life in GB.

Its got nothing to do with Oz.
Ermmm - I know full well what Grayling's about thanks. He's the only person I know of who despite having shown all the signs of an Oz hater - still emigrated here. You couldn't make it up.

I lived in the UK for nearly 40 years - does that qualify me to agree with the OP - or should I have remained there for another 20 years, thus clocking up 60 years (with time off for good behaviour) before my comments would be considered to have merit? My father lived there for 65 years prior to emigrating here - do his views somehow take presidence over the Graylings?
Old Jun 6th 2008, 1:32 pm
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Hutch
Ermmm - I know full well what Grayling's about thanks. He's the only person I know of who despite having shown all the signs of an Oz hater - still emigrated here. You couldn't make it up.

I lived in the UK for nearly 40 years - does that qualify me to agree with the OP - or should I have remained there for another 20 years, thus clocking up 60 years (with time off for good behaviour) before my comments would be considered to have merit? My father lived there for 65 years prior to emigrating here - do his views somehow take presidence over the Graylings?
wot about me, am 83
Old Jun 6th 2008, 1:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Honest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of light

Jesuz, sorry I offended, I just thought you'd got the wrong end of the stick. Maybe you've read other posts of Graylings, I haven't, so in no position to comment on his issues, but in this thread, he doesn't mention Oz at all!

This thread seems to be getting everyones back up!

Dave, close it please! before it gets v nasty!!
Old Jun 6th 2008, 1:35 pm
Account Closed

Jesuz, sorry I offended, I just thought you'd got the wrong end of the stick. Maybe you've read other posts of Graylings, I haven't, so in no position to comment on his issues, but in this thread, he doesn't mention Oz at all!

This thread seems to be getting everyones back up!

Dave, close it please! before it gets v nasty!!
Ave read lots of Graylings post and i have missed something along the line, where the hell does he live, uk or oz or both, is he a cashed up retired person
Old Jun 6th 2008, 1:38 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Now come on Hutch.......I have never hated Oz....I just think it is not really anything special.

I moved to fulfill a committment to my son, does that not mean anything these days?

I will spend time in Australia and I will also spend time back in civilisation.

In fact I will be back in the UK for July and August

Then I will be back here to do some fishing and spend time on the motor yacht

Seems a reasonable balance for a poor old pensioner like me.

G
Old Jun 6th 2008, 1:39 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Margaret3
Ave read lots of Graylings post and i have missed something along the line, where the hell does he live, uk or oz or both, is he a cashed up retired person
Yes

G
Old Jun 6th 2008, 1:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Margaret3
Margaret, I have no idea. This thread has gone nuts.
Old Jun 6th 2008, 1:41 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Grayling
Yes

G
you lucky, lucky barsteward
Old Jun 6th 2008, 2:03 pm
Account Closed

Margaret, I have no idea. This thread has gone nuts.
its the drink
Old Jun 6th 2008, 8:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NJ_Dave
No shit? I'll have to remember that one in case it comes up in the next pub quiz......
So why is it no longer "great", seeing as it is approximately the same size as it always was, give or take some coastal erosion?
Old Jun 6th 2008, 11:50 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
So why is it no longer "great", seeing as it is approximately the same size as it always was, give or take some coastal erosion?
Derivation of 'Great'

After the Old English period, Britain was used as a historical term only. Geoffrey of Monmouth in his pseudohistorical Historia Regum Britanniae (circa 1136) refers to the island of Great Britain as Britannia major ("Greater Britain"), to distinguish it from Britannia minor ("Lesser Britain"), the continental region which approximates to modern Brittany.

The term Britain re-surfaces in Early Modern period, in the context of efforts towards an unification of England and Scotland. In 1604, James I was proclaimed "King of Great Britain".

Sources such as the New Oxford American Dictionary (NOAD) define Great Britain as "England, Wales, and Scotland considered as a unit" and Britain as "an island that consists of England, Wales, and Scotland."

Thus, Britain is the name of the island, while Great Britain is the name of the geopolitical unit. NOAD advises that while Britain "is broadly synonymous with Great Britain ... the longer form is usual for the political unit." However, in the United Kingdom itself, "Britain" is usually taken to be synonymous with the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

In Irish, Wales is referred to as An Bhreatain Bheag which means, literally, Little Britain, although a truer translation would be Britain Minor. On the other hand, the closely-related language, Scottish Gaelic, uses the term, A'Bhreatainn Bheag, to refer to Brittany.

Use of the term Great Britain

"Great Britain" is often used to mean the "United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland" (UK). However, Great Britain is only the largest island within the United Kingdom; still within the United Kingdom, but not on the island of Great Britain are several much smaller surrounding islands, as well as Northern Ireland in the island of Ireland. In the introduction to his history book The Isles, Norman Davies explains how confusion persists about what "Great Britain" and the "United Kingdom" actually denote in even some eminent educational institutions.

Terms associated with Great Britain – such as Britain or British – are generally used as short forms for the United Kingdom or its citizens respectively.

Great Britain and its abbreviations GB and GBR are used in some international codes as a synonym for the United Kingdom, largely due to potential confusion with "UA" or "UKR" for Ukraine. Examples include: Universal Postal Union, the International Olympic Committee, international sports teams, NATO, the International Organization for Standardization, and other organisations. (See also country codes, international licence plate codes, and technical standards such as the ISO 3166 geocodes GB and GBR.)

On the Internet, .uk is used as a country code top-level domain for the United Kingdom. A .gb top-level domain was also used to a limited extent in the past, but this is now effectively in abeyance because the domain name registrar will not take new registrations. Ireland has its own separate Internet code, .ie, which can be used in both Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland.
Old Jun 7th 2008, 1:38 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by Danny B
Derivation of 'Great'

After the Old English period, Britain was used as a historical term only. Geoffrey of Monmouth in his pseudohistorical Historia Regum Britanniae (circa 1136) refers to the island of Great Britain as Britannia major ("Greater Britain"), to distinguish it from Britannia minor ("Lesser Britain"), the continental region which approximates to modern Brittany.

The term Britain re-surfaces in Early Modern period, in the context of efforts towards an unification of England and Scotland. In 1604, James I was proclaimed "King of Great Britain".

Sources such as the New Oxford American Dictionary (NOAD) define Great Britain as "England, Wales, and Scotland considered as a unit" and Britain as "an island that consists of England, Wales, and Scotland."

Thus, Britain is the name of the island, while Great Britain is the name of the geopolitical unit. NOAD advises that while Britain "is broadly synonymous with Great Britain ... the longer form is usual for the political unit." However, in the United Kingdom itself, "Britain" is usually taken to be synonymous with the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

In Irish, Wales is referred to as An Bhreatain Bheag which means, literally, Little Britain, although a truer translation would be Britain Minor. On the other hand, the closely-related language, Scottish Gaelic, uses the term, A'Bhreatainn Bheag, to refer to Brittany.

Use of the term Great Britain

"Great Britain" is often used to mean the "United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland" (UK). However, Great Britain is only the largest island within the United Kingdom; still within the United Kingdom, but not on the island of Great Britain are several much smaller surrounding islands, as well as Northern Ireland in the island of Ireland. In the introduction to his history book The Isles, Norman Davies explains how confusion persists about what "Great Britain" and the "United Kingdom" actually denote in even some eminent educational institutions.

Terms associated with Great Britain – such as Britain or British – are generally used as short forms for the United Kingdom or its citizens respectively.

Great Britain and its abbreviations GB and GBR are used in some international codes as a synonym for the United Kingdom, largely due to potential confusion with "UA" or "UKR" for Ukraine. Examples include: Universal Postal Union, the International Olympic Committee, international sports teams, NATO, the International Organization for Standardization, and other organisations. (See also country codes, international licence plate codes, and technical standards such as the ISO 3166 geocodes GB and GBR.)

On the Internet, .uk is used as a country code top-level domain for the United Kingdom. A .gb top-level domain was also used to a limited extent in the past, but this is now effectively in abeyance because the domain name registrar will not take new registrations. Ireland has its own separate Internet code, .ie, which can be used in both Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland.
It's just plain ole England to me...
Old Jun 7th 2008, 3:28 am
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonyandwendy
Were you p*ssed when you typed this?

Oh now come on Hutch, there was no call for that whatsoever and you know it. Bang out of order.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.