Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Back Home
Reload this Page >

One Year back in the UK: My Reflections

One Year back in the UK: My Reflections

Old Jun 11th 2008, 7:44 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: One Year back in the UK: My Reflections

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
Ah yes. Beans and rice. and curly hair.
and steaks!!! Did you see the size of the steaks he used to post. Hokey smokes.
Old Jun 11th 2008, 7:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud of

Well, glad that Spain is not in the mix here. All it's got going for it is the weather and when that's all, believe me, it ain't enough.
Old Jun 11th 2008, 8:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

chance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
You're not trying to continue an argument that has blown over, are you?
Not - not at all - and if you care to read any of my previous posts you will see that Im not in the business of stirring things up.
I actually really take offence to that. I didnt take part in, if you bother to read any of what wrote, ANY of the squabbling/arguing/bickering that went on with anyone.
In fact I got back to the OP, and responded sole to that - encouraging him to get into some sort of dialogue since thats the point of threads

Nothing I said was condesending, argumentative etc and as a mod, I would expect you should reread my post and apologise

BTW - I said thank you because I am polite

What gets me - you hardly input into this part of the forum at all, allow loads of crap to go on and on then blame me.
Old Jun 11th 2008, 10:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve1903
To gain the necessary qualifications to get a visa would mean I'd need to study for a couple of years minimum but I'm getting too long in the tooth for that. Besides I'm not "career ambitious". Just a cabbie who would be happy plodding along if I didnt hate what is all around me.
It's never too late to learn. If you are serious about wanting to move out then you have to do something towards it.
Old Jun 11th 2008, 10:49 pm
Forum Regular

meols12 has much to be proud ofmeols12 has much to be proud ofmeols12 has much to be proud ofmeols12 has much to be proud ofmeols12 has much to be proud ofmeols12 has much to be proud ofmeols12 has much to be proud ofmeols12 has much to be proud ofmeols12 has much to be proud ofmeols12 has much to be proud ofmeols12 has much to be proud of

Get off your high horse. Chance's comment didn't come across at all as being argumentative to me.

I would seriously question the impartiality of some of the moderators' comments in this thread. Very disappointed.
Old Jun 11th 2008, 10:54 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chance to be
Not - not at all - and if you care to read any of my previous posts
No, I don't. I asked a question. You seem to be reading more into it than was there.
Old Jun 11th 2008, 11:09 pm
itchy feet again!

Jay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond repute

No, I don't. I asked a question. You seem to be reading more into it than was there.
chance-to-be's comment didn't come across as argumentative to me either........if anyone's reading something into nothing it's.....ahem......you
Old Jun 12th 2008, 12:03 am
BE Enthusiast

LizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Pugsy
Actually, you sound very similar to me, your issues with NZ are the same as mine in Spain. I like Spain and we have a 'great lifestyle' here (perhaps if I was retired I'd appreciate it, but I'm only young and it's too darn boring!). For me the UK ticks most of the boxes so we'll be headed back there next year as secondary approaches for the sprogs. Our area is lovely and we still have our house, so I'm really looking forward to it.
where are you heading to?
Old Jun 12th 2008, 12:33 am
BE Enthusiast

LizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to all

Hmm, criticisms of the UK dont go down well at all I see.
Of those who referred to my post, here's my return reply.

quoll: asks why not join police, army, be a nurse or generally do something to make the place I live a better place?

well the army is a non starter as its not so much "go to war for queen and country" more like go to war on the whim of some poxy corrupt politician with his own political agenda.
On the community side I coached kids football for over 20 years so I think I've contributed, certainly more than any scumbag politician has.

oldbag says i wont escape the corrupt politicians and high costs elsewhere
my biggest bugbear on cost is petrol. There is absolutely no excuse whatsoever for our petrol to cost almost £6 a gallon. When i hear Americans squeal that its gone over $4...well you just want to try it when its nearer $12. And now you pay £8 just for driving into London on any given day. glad I'm nowhere near there or the Mayor would be lucky still to be breathing.

LizaJane asks where do i want to go and at least the police there show up
well have tried Oz and NZ and got a firm no to those so trying Canada but so far not being given much encouragement.
As of the police showing up, well no quite often they dont. Recent case in the papers here was a guy who dialled 999 and told them a gang were burgling his house at that moment and threatening him and his family (young kids) with machetes and hammers but was told sorry we are too busy.

crystal23 asked what the reaction would be if i said similar about Oz at a barbie.
well being Scottish if I had an opinion to give them I wouldnt keep it to myself.

A couple of points from Sally Redux
Work in the EU. I have to give you that one, I suppose I qualify for that but I really want to be where English is first language. (exception to that would be Thailand which I love but again i dont have the qualifications to earn a good living there)
As for join a political party. I'll tell you straight. I'm too honest for that so I'd never get elected and telling people the truth would get me kicked out.
To gain the necessary qualifications to get a visa would mean I'd need to study for a couple of years minimum but I'm getting too long in the tooth for that. Besides I'm not "career ambitious". Just a cabbie who would be happy plodding along if I didnt hate what is all around me.

Auntie Wolf
Healthcare in the US may be a disaster but over here IT IS NOT FREE. We pay our weekly contributions and if you do get sick that fact that you have paid all your life means nothing if they decide your treatment is too costly. Over here they will deny you treatment and let you die just as they do there.

Finally. Yes I know I will find corrupt greedy good for nothing politicians where ever I go but in any other country its not really going to feel the same.
Eg. If Canada vote for some no marks who all but ruin the country I may be sad but I would not feel the same anger that I do here. Its not my business who the Canadians vote for. I'm a guest and if I dont like it they are within their rights to tell me to bugger off (if they let me in in the first place).

and if I do find Utopia

NB
did i mention i hate the weather here?
point taken on the police...apologises but it does happen everywhere.

Hope you find what you are looking for , like everyone a better life??

Focus on what you want rather than what you don't...wish you luck
Old Jun 12th 2008, 3:48 am
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
My favorite troll: Uncle George

Troll with best pictures: Raise The Dead
Oh yes, Gregory Ainsworth and his wonder boy golfer, I wonder if he's still around?

Hmm, criticisms of the UK dont go down well at all I see.
Of those who referred to my post, here's my return reply.

crystal23 asked what the reaction would be if i said similar about Oz at a barbie.
well being Scottish if I had an opinion to give them I wouldnt keep it to myself. Crystal meant 'The Barbie', which is a forum in the Australian section of this site, where some posters cannot accept any criticism of Oz but slag off the UK 'til the cows come home.

Auntie Wolf
Healthcare in the US may be a disaster but over here IT IS NOT FREE. We pay our weekly contributions and if you do get sick that fact that you have paid all your life means nothing if they decide your treatment is too costly. Over here they will deny you treatment and let you die just as they do there.Now that is nonsense.

Finally. Yes I know I will find corrupt greedy good for nothing politicians where ever I go but in any other country its not really going to feel the same.
Eg. If Canada vote for some no marks who all but ruin the country I may be sad but I would not feel the same anger that I do here. Its not my business who the Canadians vote for. I'm a guest and if I dont like it they are within their rights to tell me to bugger off (if they let me in in the first place).

NB
did i mention i hate the weather here?
...and you want to go to Canada?

Chrissy (CtB) isn't like that, far from it infact.

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
It's never too late to learn. If you are serious about wanting to move out then you have to do something towards it.
My thoughts exactly Sally. If you want something bad enough then work for it, whether that means study or hard manual grafting. Why should another country accept someone who has nothing to offer it?
Old Jun 12th 2008, 3:59 am
Forum Regular

auntie_wolf has much to be proud ofauntie_wolf has much to be proud ofauntie_wolf has much to be proud ofauntie_wolf has much to be proud ofauntie_wolf has much to be proud ofauntie_wolf has much to be proud ofauntie_wolf has much to be proud ofauntie_wolf has much to be proud ofauntie_wolf has much to be proud ofauntie_wolf has much to be proud ofauntie_wolf has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
Cos Dave has a robust personality and Auntie wolf is a newby with unknown robustness and who was quite tentative, so we didn't want to slate her in her first 30 posts
Whew, I am so glad to hear that! Thanks everyone!
*Note to self* Do not post anything past 29!

Ozzidoc,I have read elsewhere on BE that some congratulations are in order!
Well done, and best of luck!

I do want to add a thought or two, just to clarify. I know the NHS isn't free. Nothing is in life. The benefit to having the NHS is that it is accessable. I wouldn't presume to speak to the quality of care everyone receives as I have no first hand knowledge. It seems most are grateful for it, but wish it was managed better.

As trottytrue pointed out (forgive me, I don't know how to insert a quote in the middle of a post. I have copied and pasted.)-

"Health care in the US is great I have no moans about it. But then my husband works his old rear end off to make sure we have it. We pay like you do in the UK a set amount each month for the privilage of it. When I hear it said on the news that health care is free in the UK I seem to remember that we all paid into it.

Over the passed year I have made quite a few visits to our local hospital and as you enter the building there is a sign that says "NO one will be turned away regardless of their ability to pay" and that happens in most hospitals here. Thats why on the border of the US with Mexico there are lots of hospitals running in the red. We also have alot of preventive care my doctors have you in every year for a physical and women are called in the all the checkups they need."

The quality of care in the US is very good. It's a question of having access. Many hospitals do have those signs posted. A hospital must stabalize a person in an acute situation. Bleeding, labor, heart attack are some examples. But they are not required to go past that. The person who receives the care is also required to pay for that care. And the cost is VERY high! That is why hospitals at the border are in the red. The people who jump the border do not always pay their hospital bills.

I know you were not meaning to imply anything, but many people "work their rear ends off" and still do not have insurance or access to care. I have 2 possible sources, work and school. My school policy is a major medical only. In the case of a life threatening emergency, I will have minimal coverage. It is better than nothing, but I could not afford to enroll and pay my tuition/books/fees. It also does not include preventative care, prescriptions, or doctors office care. It also excludes pre-exsisting conditions.

My other possible sourse would be work. In the service industry, many companies offer full-time employees HMO coverage. To be considered full-time, one must work over 35 hours a week. My company keeps everbody outside of salaried managment at 33 hours or less.

Ok, I fear I have wandered too far from the original topic, so I will go back to listening and learning from all the people here. Thank you for indulging a newbie!

Last edited by auntie_wolf; Jun 12th 2008 at 4:43 am. Reason: Clarity!
Old Jun 12th 2008, 9:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Pugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by LizaJane
where are you heading to?
The Gower area, South Wales. It's a real laid back surfy kind of place and the local water people do not let the wind and rain interfere with a spot of surfing! No way, if the waves are right, out they go! Plus great shopping in nearby Swansea and Cardiff, movies (in english-yay!) and Starbucks, what more can one say! Really good sports facilities for the kids and excellent schools.

Like I said, it's got a bit of everything and ticks the boxes for us. I've just convinced myself all over again, LOL! Spain's a bit toooooo much of some things and not enough of others, not a good balance for us. I'm just thankful that we have a choice and that it is based upon nothing but happiness and what we want and need. So many people get stuck don't they and end up angry because they're pushed and pulled a certain way for more complex reasons.
Old Jun 12th 2008, 9:44 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by auntie_wolf
Well, like I said I am just beginning the process. Right now, I am actually looking at an ancestry tie I have to the Uk to see if it gets me anywhere as far as immigration. My paternal grandfather was from England. I'm not sure if that will benefit me yet.

I would like to perhaps land in Manchester, and possibly head to the University of Manchester. They have a degree in theology/anthropology that is quite hard for me to resist. Actually, I am not that "religious" but I do love to study the different God options out there!

The areas outside the major cities appeal to me, as well. Villages, if I'm not mistaken. But I might need to ease into that, after having spent all my life in Chicago.

Really, there are a lot of different areas I would love to live in, in my day dreams. Scotland, Wales...but I have to actually check them out before I move.

AW, I looked into the descent aspect of immigrating after I met my DH and had planned on moving to the UK. It seems that it is a one generational thing rather than two.
Old Jun 12th 2008, 10:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pugsy
The Gower area, South Wales. It's a real laid back surfy kind of place and the local water people do not let the wind and rain interfere with a spot of surfing! No way, if the waves are right, out they go! Plus great shopping in nearby Swansea and Cardiff, movies (in english-yay!) and Starbucks, what more can one say! Really good sports facilities for the kids and excellent schools.

Like I said, it's got a bit of everything and ticks the boxes for us. I've just convinced myself all over again, LOL! Spain's a bit toooooo much of some things and not enough of others, not a good balance for us. I'm just thankful that we have a choice and that it is based upon nothing but happiness and what we want and need. So many people get stuck don't they and end up angry because they're pushed and pulled a certain way for more complex reasons.
sounds great hope it all works out. Here's to having a life again!!!
Old Jun 12th 2008, 10:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
AW, I looked into the descent aspect of immigrating after I met my DH and had planned on moving to the UK. It seems that it is a one generational thing rather than two.
There's an ancestry visa, and that's how I came to the UK. My granny was born in England. However, it seems that it's only for Commonwealth citizens.

http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/howtoap...inf9ukancestry

Last edited by Ozzidoc; Jun 12th 2008 at 11:00 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.