Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Back Home
Reload this Page >

One Year back in the UK: My Reflections

One Year back in the UK: My Reflections

Old Jun 11th 2008, 11:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Honest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: One Year back in the UK: My Reflections

Originally Posted by Steve1903
Hi,

new here and dont mean to butt in to an ongoing argument but just had an answer to one of the posts.
Am on here reading various posts primarily coz i want to get out of Britain - desperately!.
Anyhow, one post asked "if all these people want to leave Britain why dont they just go then?".
Well I'm one of those folks and the reason am not gone yet is that I dont really qualify for a visa to work elsewhere and I suspect many many are in the same boat as myself. Dont really know why many jumped down Dave's throat for expressing his opinion but i really do know how he feels.
I agree with all points he made. I HATE being here now. If only I could get a visa, although I am sorely tempted just to get on a plane with a tourist visa and work as an illegal. ANYTHING to get out of here.

Why? Well its mostly been covered before and I am aware that the politics of other countries will probably do my head in just as much but at least the newness (is that a word?) of it all may take some time to overwhelm my mood to the extent that everything here currently does. I think the best way to portray my thoughts is to say that when I see a newspaper the only headline I want to see is "MP Dies". Dont care about the party or sex or any of it, just knowing that one of the scum has got what he/she deserves brightens my day no end.
I want to live somewhere that for example, if someone stabs me with a knife and i punch him before he runs away that when the police come they will look for that person rather than handcuff me to an ambulance and charge me with assault. For thats the way it is here now.
I despise the Labour lot we have just now but know that the next ones up will be Little Lord Fauntleroy (Cameron) and his corrupt gang. I have the feeling I will despise them even more and I've had enough.
Everything here is shit. From house prices, petrol prices, NHS rundown, corrupt politicians, corrupt lazy police, political correctness on a crazy scale, schools and hospitals starting to be privatised, neds running riot and nobody doing eff all about it, and..........oh I cant be arsed. You get the point.

Oh back to the point. Yes, people here are not all leaving coz we dont all qualify. Simple as that.
Steve,

There are plenty of countries that you can move to that don't require Visa's.

Also...based on living in Cyprus

house prices, on the up everywhere

petrol prices, nearly on par with UK, remembering that it was half the price of the UK 3 years ago

NHS rundown, wish we had a rundown NHS here, no free healthcare

corrupt politicians, its not what you know its who you know here

corrupt lazy police, all the seem to do is issue speeding fines.

political correctness on a crazy scale, don't have this really, but we have outright, in your face racism/discrimination

schools and hospitals starting to be privatised, if you want a decent education or healthcare, you have to go private here, no choice really.

Just be careful where you choose, I don't think there is a bed of roses in any country. From my experiences here, I can see that the UK isn't a bed of roses either, but I can't wait to get back.
Old Jun 11th 2008, 2:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
It wasnt his opinion that Dave got jumped on for it was the way he said it. Bear in mind too that this forum is fair game for trolls and if one pops up that looks like a troll they do tend to be treated as such. There are ways of saying things that other people dont agree with - I am sure that none of us agrees with every one of the others - the world would be a boring place if we did. Dave was rather injudicious in his use of language and his response when someone did dare to question his assertions. He was basically rather immature and could have got his point across equally powerfully without being offensive and IMHO hypocritical. He intended to stir and he has done so. That is the difference.
The nice thing about opinions is that we all have them.
Old Jun 11th 2008, 2:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NJ_Dave
Maybe I'm a troll, or maybe I'm just a Brit guy who lived abroad, came back and thought, "what the hell is wrong with my country?".
Hardly a troll......
Old Jun 11th 2008, 3:07 pm
itchy feet again!

Jay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe I'm a troll, or maybe I'm just a Brit guy who lived abroad, came back and thought, "what the hell is wrong with my country?".
Thing is, Dave, you'd only been away two years.....hardly a lifetime. The negative things you've noticed on your return were there before you left.....maybe you just didn't see them clearly.

I've been away (this time) almost 4 years, but have been back for holidays three times and have actually noticed improvements each time.
Old Jun 11th 2008, 3:08 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

My favorite troll: Uncle George

Troll with best pictures: Raise The Dead
Old Jun 11th 2008, 3:14 pm
Failed Expat ;-)

NJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by oldbag
Thing is, Dave, you'd only been away two years.....hardly a lifetime. The negative things you've noticed on your return were there before you left.....maybe you just didn't see them clearly.

I've been away (this time) almost 4 years, but have been back for holidays three times and have actually noticed improvements each time.
Trouble is that when you go somewhere on holiday (even if it is back to your former home), it's a lot different to moving back permanently. And that is precisely why I waited a year to post my observations, instead of after 2 or 3 weeks. For example I just had a cracking weekend in Amsterdam, but if I lived there for a year I'd probably notice plenty of faults.
Old Jun 11th 2008, 3:15 pm
Failed Expat ;-)

NJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
My favorite troll: Uncle George

I didn't think Uncle George was really a troll. Just a pissed off member wanting some attention. Now Balushi and Dan Marsden, they were trolls
Old Jun 11th 2008, 3:39 pm
itchy feet again!

Jay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond repute

Trouble is that when you go somewhere on holiday (even if it is back to your former home), it's a lot different to moving back permanently. And that is precisely why I waited a year to post my observations, instead of after 2 or 3 weeks. For example I just had a cracking weekend in Amsterdam, but if I lived there for a year I'd probably notice plenty of faults.

Glad you had a good week in Amsterdam.....
I agree to a certain extent....holidays are different, but I was going home, not to some exotic far-flung place. I went regularly enough to see, again, the good and bad, and to actually notice certain improvements.
The point I'm making is that during your two year absence there cannot have been such sudden and dramatic changes....it was probably there all along, but now you notice it more. While you were in the US, you obviously enjoyed a completely different lifestyle, and I wonder if the loss of that and all it encompassed is perhaps colouring your view of things.

BTW - I like the new avatar.........very savage!
Old Jun 11th 2008, 3:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

We are spending a holiday in the UK in August before we make the move home. I just want to make sure I know what I am doing. Not that you can ever be certain. I know things have changed. I have been in the US for nearly 30 years. But to me when I come home its like putting that old pair of slippers on that feel really comfortable. I am sure there will be things I dont like but those will be overcome by those things I do like.

Politics I think are much the same the world over. Once people get in power they forget about those that put them in a position of trust and go there own way.

Health care in the US is great I have no moans about it. But then my husband works his old rear end off to make sure we have it. We pay like you do in the UK a set amount each month for the privilage of it. When I hear it said on the news that health care is free in the UK I seem to remember that we all paid into it.

Over the passed year I have made quite a few visits to our local hospital and as you enter the building there is a sign that says "NO one will be turned away regardless of their ability to pay" and that happens in most hospitals here. Thats why on the border of the US with Mexico there are lots of hospitals running in the red. We also have alot of preventive care my doctors have you in every year for a physical and women are called in the all the checkups they need.

I am not expecting things to be as they were when I left the UK all those years ago but then living here in the US has changed a great deal over the past years.

Honest H. If you are expecting anything different when you move to another country regarding all those things you mentioned then you are going to be sadly mistaken . Political correctness is big in the US so you had better not come here. I don't think its as bad as the UK (well according to your newpapers you cannot breath without someone is watching you). In the US they would not be able to put up all those CT camera's it would be an invasion of privacy. Here they are not allowed to listen in to terrorists phone calls without jumping those loops to do it.

When you make blanket statements about people you dont think about those who are honest and work very hard. I am sure there are some politicians that are good and do try as there are many policeman who are honest I know that because many members of my family are in the police and I dont know why they bother. They have to put up with so many rules and regulations and the criminal is always right.

If we want to blame anyone blame the press for a great deal of harm its done over the years, to read the newspapers you would think that the UK is such a terrible place to live. when I get onto the BBC Website I read stories about things going on the US and I wonder where they got their information from. In the US the press is so far to the left you cannot get a true story out of them. If they dont like someone they will just hammer at them in the newpapers or on the news till the person is gone. But let them like someone and they will go crazy over them. I have yet to find a paper that just gives the facts and lets you make your own mind up on the rights and wrong.
Old Jun 11th 2008, 4:24 pm
Just Joined

Steve1903 is just really niceSteve1903 is just really niceSteve1903 is just really niceSteve1903 is just really niceSteve1903 is just really niceSteve1903 is just really niceSteve1903 is just really niceSteve1903 is just really niceSteve1903 is just really nice

Hmm, criticisms of the UK dont go down well at all I see.
Of those who referred to my post, here's my return reply.

quoll: asks why not join police, army, be a nurse or generally do something to make the place I live a better place?

well the army is a non starter as its not so much "go to war for queen and country" more like go to war on the whim of some poxy corrupt politician with his own political agenda.
On the community side I coached kids football for over 20 years so I think I've contributed, certainly more than any scumbag politician has.

oldbag says i wont escape the corrupt politicians and high costs elsewhere
my biggest bugbear on cost is petrol. There is absolutely no excuse whatsoever for our petrol to cost almost £6 a gallon. When i hear Americans squeal that its gone over $4...well you just want to try it when its nearer $12. And now you pay £8 just for driving into London on any given day. glad I'm nowhere near there or the Mayor would be lucky still to be breathing.

LizaJane asks where do i want to go and at least the police there show up
well have tried Oz and NZ and got a firm no to those so trying Canada but so far not being given much encouragement.
As of the police showing up, well no quite often they dont. Recent case in the papers here was a guy who dialled 999 and told them a gang were burgling his house at that moment and threatening him and his family (young kids) with machetes and hammers but was told sorry we are too busy.

crystal23 asked what the reaction would be if i said similar about Oz at a barbie.
well being Scottish if I had an opinion to give them I wouldnt keep it to myself.

A couple of points from Sally Redux
Work in the EU. I have to give you that one, I suppose I qualify for that but I really want to be where English is first language. (exception to that would be Thailand which I love but again i dont have the qualifications to earn a good living there)
As for join a political party. I'll tell you straight. I'm too honest for that so I'd never get elected and telling people the truth would get me kicked out.
To gain the necessary qualifications to get a visa would mean I'd need to study for a couple of years minimum but I'm getting too long in the tooth for that. Besides I'm not "career ambitious". Just a cabbie who would be happy plodding along if I didnt hate what is all around me.

Auntie Wolf
Healthcare in the US may be a disaster but over here IT IS NOT FREE. We pay our weekly contributions and if you do get sick that fact that you have paid all your life means nothing if they decide your treatment is too costly. Over here they will deny you treatment and let you die just as they do there.

Finally. Yes I know I will find corrupt greedy good for nothing politicians where ever I go but in any other country its not really going to feel the same.
Eg. If Canada vote for some no marks who all but ruin the country I may be sad but I would not feel the same anger that I do here. Its not my business who the Canadians vote for. I'm a guest and if I dont like it they are within their rights to tell me to bugger off (if they let me in in the first place).

and if I do find Utopia

NB
did i mention i hate the weather here?
Old Jun 11th 2008, 4:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

kelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond repute

quoll: asks why not join police, army, be a nurse or generally do something to make the place I live a better place?

well the army is a non starter as its not so much "go to war for queen and country" more like go to war on the whim of some poxy corrupt politician with his own political agenda.
On the community side I coached kids football for over 20 years so I think I've contributed, certainly more than any scumbag politician has.

oldbag says i wont escape the corrupt politicians and high costs elsewhere
my biggest bugbear on cost is petrol. There is absolutely no excuse whatsoever for our petrol to cost almost £6 a gallon. When i hear Americans squeal that its gone over $4...well you just want to try it when its nearer $12. And now you pay £8 just for driving into London on any given day. glad I'm nowhere near there or the Mayor would be lucky still to be breathing.

LizaJane asks where do i want to go and at least the police there show up
well have tried Oz and NZ and got a firm no to those so trying Canada but so far not being given much encouragement.
As of the police showing up, well no quite often they dont. Recent case in the papers here was a guy who dialled 999 and told them a gang were burgling his house at that moment and threatening him and his family (young kids) with machetes and hammers but was told sorry we are too busy.

crystal23 asked what the reaction would be if i said similar about Oz at a barbie.
well being Scottish if I had an opinion to give them I wouldnt keep it to myself.

A couple of points from Sally Redux
Work in the EU. I have to give you that one, I suppose I qualify for that but I really want to be where English is first language. (exception to that would be Thailand which I love but again i dont have the qualifications to earn a good living there)
As for join a political party. I'll tell you straight. I'm too honest for that so I'd never get elected and telling people the truth would get me kicked out.
To gain the necessary qualifications to get a visa would mean I'd need to study for a couple of years minimum but I'm getting too long in the tooth for that. Besides I'm not "career ambitious". Just a cabbie who would be happy plodding along if I didnt hate what is all around me.

Auntie Wolf
Healthcare in the US may be a disaster but over here IT IS NOT FREE. We pay our weekly contributions and if you do get sick that fact that you have paid all your life means nothing if they decide your treatment is too costly. Over here they will deny you treatment and let you die just as they do there.

Finally. Yes I know I will find corrupt greedy good for nothing politicians where ever I go but in any other country its not really going to feel the same.
Eg. If Canada vote for some no marks who all but ruin the country I may be sad but I would not feel the same anger that I do here. Its not my business who the Canadians vote for. I'm a guest and if I dont like it they are within their rights to tell me to bugger off (if they let me in in the first place).

and if I do find Utopia

NB
we may contribute to our nhs but it is there for all. in oz for example you pay a medicare levy and then you still pay towards it! No free dentist for kids or prescriptions, no discount, nada!

you even have to have ambulance cover, as the cost of an ambulance in victoria emergency or otherwise is $2000. Basically they take off you every which way.

The government gets rich while the people get poorer.

They even change the speed limits during holiday season to cash in on that too......
Old Jun 11th 2008, 4:52 pm
itchy feet again!

and if I do find Utopia

NB
Hi Steve
How do you know you're not going to feel the same anger in a different country? You cannot know that until you have lived elsewhere. And why wouldn't you feel the same anger......you would presumably, be paying taxes in your host country, and would want to feel you're getting good value for that money, wouldn't you? The increase in the stupid bureaucracy in Canada infuriates me. I personally find it's every bit, if not worse in some aspects, than the UK. It's all too easy to feel isolated here; because the country is so huge you often don't feel a part if it.
You hate the weather? Don't make me laugh..... the weather goes from one extreme to another where I live.......brutal winters and unbearable summers. Out of a twelve month year there are roughly three months when it is pleasant enough to actually enjoy being outside......but that's a personal thing, and one of the few things we can do nothing about. I used to be a really "oudoorsy" person, but not now in these conditions.

It's not so much criticism of the UK that is unpopular on this particular thread......it was, as has been already said by several people, the OP's offensive manner.
Old Jun 11th 2008, 5:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs

Ah yes. Beans and rice. and curly hair.
Old Jun 11th 2008, 7:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

chance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dee_dee
#chance to be ...take a bow, fab post!!!
Why - thank you DeeDee

NJ_Dave - Im very put out. You have responded so eloquently to everyone elses posts and chose to ignore mine

C
Old Jun 11th 2008, 7:40 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chance to be
Why - thank you DeeDee

NJ_Dave - Im very put out. You have responded so eloquently to everyone elses posts and chose to ignore mine

C
You're not trying to continue an argument that has blown over, are you?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.