Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Back Home
Reload this Page >

One Year back in the UK: My Reflections

One Year back in the UK: My Reflections

Old Jun 11th 2008, 8:22 am
BE Enthusiast

LizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to all
Default Re: One Year back in the UK: My Reflections

Originally Posted by auntie_wolf
Well, like I said I am just beginning the process. Right now, I am actually looking at an ancestry tie I have to the Uk to see if it gets me anywhere as far as immigration. My paternal grandfather was from England. I'm not sure if that will benefit me yet.

I would like to perhaps land in Manchester, and possibly head to the University of Manchester. They have a degree in theology/anthropology that is quite hard for me to resist. Actually, I am not that "religious" but I do love to study the different God options out there!

The areas outside the major cities appeal to me, as well. Villages, if I'm not mistaken. But I might need to ease into that, after having spent all my life in Chicago.

Really, there are a lot of different areas I would love to live in, in my day dreams. Scotland, Wales...but I have to actually check them out before I move.
One thing is for sure you will have variety so I would go check out the uni and then have a scout around...keep us informed
Old Jun 11th 2008, 8:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bramblebush
I am taking a big risk here for saying this, I have seen how people react if they don't like what they hear.

Howcome NYDave got jumped on for his opinion but Auntie wolf didn't.

Maybe it was because Dave was slagging off England and Auntie wolf wasn't, simple as that.

I'm not agreeing with either of them and I don't want to offend either of them, everyone is entitled to their opinion, Or are they?
Cos Dave has a robust personality and Auntie wolf is a newby with unknown robustness and who was quite tentative, so we didn't want to slate her in her first 30 posts
Old Jun 11th 2008, 8:48 am
BE Enthusiast

LizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
Cos Dave has a robust personality and Auntie wolf is a newby with unknown robustness and who was quite tentative, so we didn't want to slate her in her first 30 posts
nothing to do with his opinion...Dave was abusive, rude and obnoxious!!
Old Jun 11th 2008, 8:52 am
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LizaJane
nothing to do with his opinion...Dave was abusive, rude and obnoxious!!
I didn't find him that rude. I took him to be a guy at the end of what had been a significantly upsetting time for him.
Old Jun 11th 2008, 9:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by busterboy
I didn't find him that rude. I took him to be a guy at the end of what had been a significantly upsetting time for him.
I agree with you thats how I took it on the opening post but a couple of posts in and he took exception to someones comments and was extremely offensive..it was all down hill from there.
Old Jun 11th 2008, 9:17 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I am taking a big risk here for saying this, I have seen how people react if they don't like what they hear.

Maybe it was because Dave was slagging off England and Auntie wolf wasn't, simple as that.

I'm not agreeing with either of them and I don't want to offend either of them, everyone is entitled to their opinion, Or are they?
Something to do with his attitude in posts like THIS maybe
Old Jun 11th 2008, 9:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

It wasnt his opinion that Dave got jumped on for it was the way he said it. Bear in mind too that this forum is fair game for trolls and if one pops up that looks like a troll they do tend to be treated as such. There are ways of saying things that other people dont agree with - I am sure that none of us agrees with every one of the others - the world would be a boring place if we did. Dave was rather injudicious in his use of language and his response when someone did dare to question his assertions. He was basically rather immature and could have got his point across equally powerfully without being offensive and IMHO hypocritical. He intended to stir and he has done so. That is the difference.
Old Jun 11th 2008, 9:27 am
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Oh come, come, you lot are too sensitive. What's wrong with ranting that someone's a moron?...tssht, tssht, what a bunch of ladies.
Old Jun 11th 2008, 9:59 am
Forum Regular

bramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Pollyana
oh, I see what you mean
Old Jun 11th 2008, 10:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Pugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud of

Well, I am a lady, so that's probably why, lol! I should change my nickname to something more becoming of me... no suggestions, please! (lest we go off thread again)

I actually think alot to do with what makes someone happy in a country is all to do with other factors, like money, family, love, career, etc. I'm pretty sure that with a really good income and nice home life, one can be happy anywhere*, because one can afford a nice area, with all the perks that one needs, ie whether that's vibrant shopping, good healthcare, historical thingies, excellent schools, whatever.

*Of course with the exeption of war zones, some third world countries and South Africa (which is a mixture of both!)
Old Jun 11th 2008, 10:55 am
Failed Expat ;-)

NJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
It wasnt his opinion that Dave got jumped on for it was the way he said it. Bear in mind too that this forum is fair game for trolls and if one pops up that looks like a troll they do tend to be treated as such. There are ways of saying things that other people dont agree with - I am sure that none of us agrees with every one of the others - the world would be a boring place if we did. Dave was rather injudicious in his use of language and his response when someone did dare to question his assertions. He was basically rather immature and could have got his point across equally powerfully without being offensive and IMHO hypocritical. He intended to stir and he has done so. That is the difference.
I took exception to accusations/assumptions about me, and I let them know that. I've said a whole lot worse to people on this forum who have pissed me off. (God I can't believe this thread is still going on. Mods, please put it out of its misery.)
Old Jun 11th 2008, 10:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pugsy
Well, I am a lady, so that's probably why, lol! I should change my nickname to something more becoming of me... no suggestions, please! (lest we go off thread again)

I actually think alot to do with what makes someone happy in a country is all to do with other factors, like money, family, love, career, etc. I'm pretty sure that with a really good income and nice home life, one can be happy anywhere*, because one can afford a nice area, with all the perks that one needs, ie whether that's vibrant shopping, good healthcare, historical thingies, excellent schools, whatever.

*Of course with the exeption of war zones, some third world countries and South Africa (which is a mixture of both!)
hi Pugsy, I sort of agree with that...most places are alot better and easy to live in if you can afford the 'lifestyle', however...we do have the 'lifestyle' and very nice it is too but NZ has nothing else for us, certainly not shopping, history/culture or good schools...very bland, very samey so we are going back to the UK.

Some would choose 'lifestyle' over the other things, but they are or were part of my life and are not something I can compromise on any longer.

I do understand the problems in the UK and as most of us are aware there really is no 'utopia'...just a place called home,wherever that maybe.
Old Jun 11th 2008, 11:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NJ_Dave
I took exception to accusations/assumptions about me, and I let them know that. I've said a whole lot worse to people on this forum who have pissed me off. (God I can't believe this thread is still going on. Mods, please put it out of its misery.)
and you are?????
Old Jun 11th 2008, 11:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Pugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud of

hi Pugsy, I sort of agree with that...most places are alot better and easy to live in if you can afford the 'lifestyle', however...we do have the 'lifestyle' and very nice it is too but NZ has nothing else for us, certainly not shopping, history/culture or good schools...very bland, very samey so we are going back to the UK.

Some would choose 'lifestyle' over the other things, but they are or were part of my life and are not something I can compromise on any longer.

I do understand the problems in the UK and as most of us are aware there really is no 'utopia'...just a place called home,wherever that maybe.
Actually, you sound very similar to me, your issues with NZ are the same as mine in Spain. I like Spain and we have a 'great lifestyle' here (perhaps if I was retired I'd appreciate it, but I'm only young and it's too darn boring!). For me the UK ticks most of the boxes so we'll be headed back there next year as secondary approaches for the sprogs. Our area is lovely and we still have our house, so I'm really looking forward to it.
Old Jun 11th 2008, 11:30 am
Failed Expat ;-)

NJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond repute

and you are?????
Maybe I'm a troll, or maybe I'm just a Brit guy who lived abroad, came back and thought, "what the hell is wrong with my country?".

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.