Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Back Home
Reload this Page >

One Year back in the UK: My Reflections

One Year back in the UK: My Reflections

Old Jun 10th 2008, 9:13 am
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: One Year back in the UK: My Reflections

Originally Posted by markallwood
Hi trottytrue, this forum is largely populated by those who, for one reason or another, have already decided to return to the UK. More often than not, you will find that the real reason people post here is simply to re-affirm their decision to themselves.

As such, when you post an opinion that does not sit well with this reaffirmation process, it will be set upon by the masses (as has happened in this thread).

As you are unlikely to receive a balanced view, don't rely solely on this forum.

cheers
Mark
By the masses, that's hilarious. Some in the barbie attack like a pack of wolves the very second anything anti Oz is said, whether it be true or not. Oh purlease.......
Old Jun 10th 2008, 9:43 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
Well its his insight that I'm referring to....aren't we all entitled to that?
only if it agrees with the opinion of the reader.
Old Jun 10th 2008, 10:23 am
BE Enthusiast

LizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to all

Originally Posted by quoll
I doubt anyone would rely solely on this forum - as I see it, the role of this forum is to empower people to make their own decisions about where it is they want to spend the rest of their days. For some, the mere fact that their gut feelings are affirmed by others is enough for them to shake the shackles of whatever is holding them wherever they may be and allow them to take steps to remedy their problems. They may not have that "support" in real life and it comes as a real eye opener that they are not mad or indeed even very unusual in failing to see the Utopia of their chosen country.

I am sure that there are many features of the OP post that we all, to some extent, agree with. The welfare dependency for example is something that I abhor - it was a good idea at the time but is now in need of a solid overhaul. IMHO it is one thing that is holding UK back for the very reasons he mentioned - if you provide for people then they have no initiative to provide for themselves. Carrying knives - yup, it does seem to be a gang culture thing these days but for the past 30 odd years I have carried a knife (or two) until I have found there are altogether too many xray machines to go through (Swiss army pocket knives fulfil a multitude of roles!!!) My DH was a knife carrier for even longer than I was but he too now abstains because it could be construed as breaking the law (it's a bugger trying to snip the ends of your needlework without one!). However, I can say that I have never been bothered by anyone carrying a knife on any of my trips to UK nor, AFAIK has my son had any problems and he was a special in the Met for several years.

I doubt anyone would disagree that the government is failing miserably and the price of fuel is causing huge headaches to the man in the street - heavens knows about the imact of a pint of Newcastle Brown, that would probably be a killer! However, those price increases are international not just UK and one cannot directly compare UK with US or Aus for that matter because they are all coming from a different baseline.

However there was more than a little gloat in there that he was back to "use" the free/cheap education system (what happened to the 3 year residence rule I wonder?) and there was perhaps some injudicious use of language - one generally doesnt start out by proclaiming someone a whore. I guess it was what it was, a post by a somewhat immature person who will, once his law degree is finished, probably write in a more socially acceptable manner. One could be forgiven for thinking it was a stir up as the forum seems to be a prime target for stirrers however, on reflection, it was probably just the unusal writing style of someone who is reflecting his age.
well said, hoorah!!
Old Jun 10th 2008, 10:26 am
BE Enthusiast

LizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to all

Originally Posted by markallwood
Hi trottytrue, this forum is largely populated by those who, for one reason or another, have already decided to return to the UK. More often than not, you will find that the real reason people post here is simply to re-affirm their decision to themselves.

As such, when you post an opinion that does not sit well with this reaffirmation process, it will be set upon by the masses (as has happened in this thread).

As you are unlikely to receive a balanced view, don't rely solely on this forum.

cheers
Mark
Eerh! Have you had a difference of opinion with any post in the NZ forum??....do not enter unless prepared!
Old Jun 10th 2008, 10:56 am
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LizaJane
well said, hoorah!!
I agree, a well thought out post Quoll, but then we should expect nothing less from you eh. Totally agree that the NHS is in desperate need of a complete overhaul, but I doubt it'll happen in my life time, sadly. It's taken many a government to bring it to this poor state, but I still believe it's one of the best systems in the world, if only it were run properly.

As for the OP, his post didn't bother me in the slightest as I saw it for what it was. What did bother me was his downright rudeness and nastiness towards another member when it was so uncalled for....
Originally Posted by NJ_Dave View Post
Listen to me carefully, moron as I dont like repeating myself. I lived in the UK for 24 years, moved to the USA and experienced life over there for 2 years and have now been back in the UK for a year. If that's not the way to come to a balanced, objective opinion then I don't know what is. Sometimes the truth hurts; but at least you always have the option of burying your head in the sand and pretending that the UK is still a great place to live. If you think you know me from a few posts that you don't like, then think again. Don't ever patronise me you bloody prick!
Nice.
Old Jun 10th 2008, 7:33 pm
Just Joined

Steve1903 is just really niceSteve1903 is just really niceSteve1903 is just really niceSteve1903 is just really niceSteve1903 is just really niceSteve1903 is just really niceSteve1903 is just really niceSteve1903 is just really niceSteve1903 is just really nice

Hi,

new here and dont mean to butt in to an ongoing argument but just had an answer to one of the posts.
Am on here reading various posts primarily coz i want to get out of Britain - desperately!.
Anyhow, one post asked "if all these people want to leave Britain why dont they just go then?".
Well I'm one of those folks and the reason am not gone yet is that I dont really qualify for a visa to work elsewhere and I suspect many many are in the same boat as myself. Dont really know why many jumped down Dave's throat for expressing his opinion but i really do know how he feels.
I agree with all points he made. I HATE being here now. If only I could get a visa, although I am sorely tempted just to get on a plane with a tourist visa and work as an illegal. ANYTHING to get out of here.

Why? Well its mostly been covered before and I am aware that the politics of other countries will probably do my head in just as much but at least the newness (is that a word?) of it all may take some time to overwhelm my mood to the extent that everything here currently does. I think the best way to portray my thoughts is to say that when I see a newspaper the only headline I want to see is "MP Dies". Dont care about the party or sex or any of it, just knowing that one of the scum has got what he/she deserves brightens my day no end.
I want to live somewhere that for example, if someone stabs me with a knife and i punch him before he runs away that when the police come they will look for that person rather than handcuff me to an ambulance and charge me with assault. For thats the way it is here now.
I despise the Labour lot we have just now but know that the next ones up will be Little Lord Fauntleroy (Cameron) and his corrupt gang. I have the feeling I will despise them even more and I've had enough.
Everything here is shit. From house prices, petrol prices, NHS rundown, corrupt politicians, corrupt lazy police, political correctness on a crazy scale, schools and hospitals starting to be privatised, neds running riot and nobody doing eff all about it, and..........oh I cant be arsed. You get the point.

Oh back to the point. Yes, people here are not all leaving coz we dont all qualify. Simple as that.
Old Jun 10th 2008, 7:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

jonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve1903
Hi,

new here and dont mean to butt in to an ongoing argument but just had an answer to one of the posts.
Am on here reading various posts primarily coz i want to get out of Britain - desperately!.
Anyhow, one post asked "if all these people want to leave Britain why dont they just go then?".
Well I'm one of those folks and the reason am not gone yet is that I dont really qualify for a visa to work elsewhere and I suspect many many are in the same boat as myself. Dont really know why many jumped down Dave's throat for expressing his opinion but i really do know how he feels.
I agree with all points he made. I HATE being here now. If only I could get a visa, although I am sorely tempted just to get on a plane with a tourist visa and work as an illegal. ANYTHING to get out of here.

Why? Well its mostly been covered before and I am aware that the politics of other countries will probably do my head in just as much but at least the newness (is that a word?) of it all may take some time to overwhelm my mood to the extent that everything here currently does. I think the best way to portray my thoughts is to say that when I see a newspaper the only headline I want to see is "MP Dies". Dont care about the party or sex or any of it, just knowing that one of the scum has got what he/she deserves brightens my day no end.
I want to live somewhere that for example, if someone stabs me with a knife and i punch him before he runs away that when the police come they will look for that person rather than handcuff me to an ambulance and charge me with assault. For thats the way it is here now.
I despise the Labour lot we have just now but know that the next ones up will be Little Lord Fauntleroy (Cameron) and his corrupt gang. I have the feeling I will despise them even more and I've had enough.
Everything here is shit. From house prices, petrol prices, NHS rundown, corrupt politicians, corrupt lazy police, political correctness on a crazy scale, schools and hospitals starting to be privatised, neds running riot and nobody doing eff all about it, and..........oh I cant be arsed. You get the point.

Oh back to the point. Yes, people here are not all leaving coz we dont all qualify. Simple as that.
"I can't be arsed?" that attitude won't get you anywhere in your new country. Sometimes you need to ask yourself the question is it you or the country that has a problem?
Old Jun 10th 2008, 8:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

ezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond repute

I do sympathise, and I don't think any of us are blind to the problems of the UK as it now is....it's just so damn boring out here! I think some of the visa requirements have changed recently, have you looked into South Australia or Perth, or even N.Z, I believe they're being pretty lenient with restrictions in order to get people over. Maybe try somewhere different to Glasgow...my hubby was there for a year and much as he loves the Scots, he said it was just too gloomy. Friends of ours in a reasonably nice area of Glasgow have just moved because of all the 'yoof' coming back drunk past their house, vomiting in the garden, damaging the cars etc. The police didn't do anything, I must admit that over here I feel they would at least try. Can't remember where they were at the moment, I just remember a huge park and a shop that sold 'the best icecream in Glasgow'!

Hi,

Old Jun 10th 2008, 9:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

One hesitates to say it but if those who are stuck in UK hate it so much why they dont get a job which will help change things. Have you thought perhaps of joining the police force or the army, training to be a nurse, doing something which will make a mark on the community in which you live. Sometimes I think that if folk spent as much time trying to make their community better as they do trying to escape from it, then the world would be a better place.

Your life is what you make of it no matter where you live and if you want to swap one lot of corrupt politicians (we have a very fine crop of them in NSW with the other states not far behind), entrenched political correctness that no one is even allowed to breathe a word of correction and gang warfare for another, well good luck with finding Utopia (I hear that Hungary and Czech Republic are looking for immigrants).
Old Jun 10th 2008, 9:14 pm
itchy feet again!

Jay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

I think the main reason for "jumping down Dave's throat" was because he was so rude.

However, that aside, Britain doesn't have the monopoly on stupidity and corruption. I know someone who was charged with assault for defending himself.....illogical and totally bewildering, but it happened here in Canada. We also suffer from high house prices, high gas prices, food costs, high bank charges, interest rates, property taxes, corrupt politicians, greedy politicians who couldn't give a damn about anything or anyone but themselves.....in fact all the things you list do happen here, and don't fool yourself into thinking you will escape the craziness by escaping from the UK.
Old Jun 10th 2008, 9:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi,

Anyhow, one post asked "if all these people want to leave Britain why dont o see is "MP Dies". Dont care about the party or sex or any of it, just knowthey just go then?".

Why? Well its mostly been covered before and I am aware that the politics of other countries will probably do my head in just as much but at least the newness (is that a word?) of it all may take some time to overwhelm my mood to the extent that everything here currently does. I think the best way to portray my thoughts is to say that when I see a newspaper the only headline I want ting that one of the scum has got what he/she deserves brightens my day no end.

First point with regards to Dave, as I have explained before his view point was not the issue...his abusive tone and language was...

second is life really that bad?... where are you hoping to go?

Police mmh... at least they show up and aren't as corrupt as some we could mention.

Apart from the NHS what makes you think it would be different anywhere else? in some cases could be worse.

What country do you have in mind?...hope it isn't NZ you will be sorely disappointed.

Whatever you decide hope it is for the right reasons and all works out for you...Good luck
Old Jun 10th 2008, 11:26 pm
Account Closed

crystal23 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Hmmmm I wonder what the reaction would have been if this was about Australia and was posted in the Barbie
Old Jun 10th 2008, 11:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crystal23
Hmmmm I wonder what the reaction would have been if this was about Australia and was posted in the Barbie
Ah, but if it were posted about Aus in the Barbie it couldnt possibly be true now could it
Old Jun 11th 2008, 12:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
One hesitates to say it but if those who are stuck in UK hate it so much why they dont get a job which will help change things. Have you thought perhaps of joining the police force or the army, training to be a nurse, doing something which will make a mark on the community in which you live. Sometimes I think that if folk spent as much time trying to make their community better as they do trying to escape from it, then the world would be a better place.

Yes I found that odd, he said he would do 'anything' to escape the UK. Work in the EU or gain the necessary qualifications to move to another country, join a political party and work with it rather than wanting MPs to die.
Old Jun 11th 2008, 1:13 am
Forum Regular

auntie_wolf has much to be proud ofauntie_wolf has much to be proud ofauntie_wolf has much to be proud ofauntie_wolf has much to be proud ofauntie_wolf has much to be proud ofauntie_wolf has much to be proud ofauntie_wolf has much to be proud ofauntie_wolf has much to be proud ofauntie_wolf has much to be proud ofauntie_wolf has much to be proud ofauntie_wolf has much to be proud of

I have been following this thread, and I am feeling just brave enough (but still nervous) to throw in my two cents. I look at this from a different perspective. I am at the very beginnings of trying to immigrate to the UK. I am an American, born and bred, and as the OP is referring to his life in America, I decided to chime in.

People are right when they speak about costs going higher being a world wide occurence right now. Gas for us in Chicago is now well over $4 a gallon (which is I know lower than in the UK), food is high and going higher, and forget about buying a house in the city or nearby suburbs. Actually, you can buy a house, it is probably one that another family lost through a foreclosure. I'm sure I don't have to explain too much about our shameful political situation currently.

There are things I like, even love about living here. But there are some important ones that cannot be overlooked.

Healthcare is a disaster! I wish we had a mismanaged NHS to complain about!Someone on another thread in the US forum who was just coming over here commented something along the lines of, "surely they don't just let you die if you don't have insurance". Actually, yes "they" do. I do not have health insurance, and have not for most of my adult life. Even when my job has offered it, it simply costs too much. I had a manger who had a second job just to cover her insurance costs. Never mind actually seeing a doctor!
The most affordable group insurance here is an HMO. Run by business bean counters, not doctors. It is the business people who decide what treatment you will receive, not the doctors. If your insurance runs out, treatment ceases and you are discharged. Regardless. Without insurance you will not receive preventative without paying for it upfront. I do not see a doctor unless it is life threatening, and then it is in an emergency room with a huge bill to work out afterwards.

Education is another area that is hard to live with. I am midway through a degree, and have had to stop for now because of funding reductions in financial aid. Our state universities are woefully underfunded. There are not enough class sections offered for the number of students who need to take those classes. A four year degree at my school usually takes 5-7 years for just that reason. The breadth of subject matter is limited as well. There are plenty of business schools, and engineering students find places. But what about someone who doesn't want an MBA or to be an engineer. Humanities are not considered to be of much value, and therefore are often cut first.
At the lower grades, the wealthy areas have top-notch schools. The rest? Often do not have enough books or classrooms. In Chicago, arts and p.e. are always the first to go.

Maybe there is a rise in knife crimes. To be 100% honest, I wish we had a "rising knife crime rate" to worry about. Here, as everyone knows, it is guns. It is not a stereotype, it is true. Now not everyone has a gun. But way too many do, and the wrong ones at that. A friend of my mom is a professor at Northern Illinois University, the site of the latest (as far as I know) school shooting. Frankly, many people, myself included, simply do not feel safe in school. Our police are underarmed compared to the gangs. Children do get shot down walking to school or the park. One little girl was killed sleeping in her bed, in her house, through a brick wall!

America is a great place if you have money. There are great aspects to America even if you don't. I am not running away from America. I am trying to find my place in the wide world we all live, where I can live secure in the knowledge that healthcare is not considered a privilege, and education is valued.

I do not know for sure if the UK will be it. I will keep researching, and I am going for a first exploration visit in August. But so far, it looks pretty darn good, and I am going to give it a try.

2 years in the US, as an expat with the NHS at "home" and quality affordable education easily available with a plane ride does not offer a fair and true comparison in the quality of life. I cannot say the UK is "better" than America, but it sure can't be worse in some very important areas.

(OK, now I am going just hit submit and hope for the best!)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.