Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Back Home
Reload this Page >

One Year back in the UK: My Reflections

One Year back in the UK: My Reflections

Old Jun 5th 2008, 11:59 pm
Account Closed

crystal23 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: One Year back in the UK: My Reflections

Originally Posted by NJ_Dave
Nightlife -12 pints, a kebab and a fight. Classy!

Sounds like Joondalup on a Friday and Saturday night
Old Jun 6th 2008, 12:55 am
BE Enthusiast

LizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to all

Why so much hostility? Everyone is entitled to their opinion. The OP does come across as angry but maybe its about venting frustration because of not really wanting to return in the first place, like displaced anger of sorts!

I agree with other posts that a lot of the issues/problems in OP are not just Britain's problems, US has some pretty big ones too as do other places.

Sometimes the 'problems' are out weighed by the reasons for returning as lots of the posters in this forum are fully aware of. Sadly if you have had to move somewhere because of forced circumstances it can make you more aware of the down side. In the same way some of us are more niggled by the negatives of the countries we live in and why a lot do return to the UK.

At the end of the day its about personal experiences and where we call home.
Old Jun 6th 2008, 2:05 am
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

This forum makes me laugh, all the homesick vultures who haven't lived in the UK for years are waiting for their prey. In this case a bloke who gives *his* honest opinion on what *he* dislikes about his first year back and you are all blaming it on his mental state.

But it's OK to send Karma to Flea when only after her first few hours back in the UK she starts a post about how great Britain is.

You lot only read what you want to hear, any negative stuff you brush off and give the same excuse, "it happens in America as well you know" usually followed by a link to a local newspaper in your town reporting on a crime.
Old Jun 6th 2008, 3:07 am
BE Enthusiast

LizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Danny B
This forum makes me laugh, all the homesick vultures who haven't lived in the UK for years are waiting for their prey. In this case a bloke who gives *his* honest opinion on what *he* dislikes about his first year back and you are all blaming it on his mental state.
etaliation has a lot to answer for in this thread
But it's OK to send Karma to Flea when only after her first few hours back in the UK she starts a post about how great Britain is.

You lot only read what you want to hear, any negative stuff you brush off and give the same excuse, "it happens in America as well you know" usually followed by a link to a local newspaper in your town reporting on a crime.
This could certainly apply to you as well by the looks of it.

S#*t, who rattled your cage, you are being just as aggressive as the OP...

...'negative stuff you brush off....', what do you think your post sounds like, very dismissive?

Why are you unhappy by the fact that some of us actually like Britain, warts and all???? You assume we ALL left because Britain was so horrendous....think again!

Do you seriously think we are all away with the fairies, dreaming of the perfect Britain poohooing everyone with a differing opinion...please get real.
Old Jun 6th 2008, 3:29 am
BE Forum Addict

jempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of light

HI. Just want to say agree with everything you said. And to the original poster its good to hear back from someone who has been back in the UK for longer than 5 minutes and gives his take on things.
Old Jun 6th 2008, 4:24 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jempee
HI. Just want to say agree with everything you said. And to the original poster its good to hear back from someone who has been back in the UK for longer than 5 minutes and gives his take on things.
Well I only left the Uk 3 weeks ago and totally disagree with his vitriolic rant.

I lived the the Uk for the best part of 60 years......does that count?
Old Jun 6th 2008, 4:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jempee
how long have you been away???
Old Jun 6th 2008, 4:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Grayling
Well I only left the Uk 3 weeks ago and totally disagree with his vitriolic rant.

I lived the the Uk for the best part of 60 years......does that count?
thank you Grayling.
Old Jun 6th 2008, 5:19 am
Forum Regular

Location: Back in Scotland after two dreadful years in Brisbane.
maka paka is a glorious beacon of lightmaka paka is a glorious beacon of lightmaka paka is a glorious beacon of lightmaka paka is a glorious beacon of lightmaka paka is a glorious beacon of lightmaka paka is a glorious beacon of lightmaka paka is a glorious beacon of lightmaka paka is a glorious beacon of lightmaka paka is a glorious beacon of lightmaka paka is a glorious beacon of lightmaka paka is a glorious beacon of light

Ha Ha Ha,this guy is cracking up..Mr T on speed!!

I think he's actually winding us all up and it looks like we've all fallen for it.

If not then a lot of what he says is utter tosh.
You can buy cheap TV's in Britain(Aldi) and other consumer goods for that matter.
Buy a smaller engined car,don't live in a crap area,get a job...there seem to be lots about that"them bloody poles" are working.
Then maybe you'd find that the UK isn't all bad.
Old Jun 6th 2008, 5:23 am
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Listen to me carefully, moron as I dont like repeating myself. I lived in the UK for 24 years, moved to the USA and experienced life over there for 2 years and have now been back in the UK for a year. If that's not the way to come to a balanced, objective opinion then I don't know what is. Sometimes the truth hurts; but at least you always have the option of burying your head in the sand and pretending that the UK is still a great place to live. If you think you know me from a few posts that you don't like, then think again. Don't ever patronise me you bloody prick!
What a gentleman.

Originally Posted by crystal23
Sounds like Joondalup on a Friday and Saturday night
More like Northbridge and Perth train Station.

The same old Danny boy. How's life treating you matey?
Old Jun 6th 2008, 6:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Honest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of light

Wow!, One angry bloke, but really is there any need for the names.

I thought this forum was to express views and help.

Dave, if its that bad, go back, why have you stuck it a year? Oh of course, cheap education. Is is worth it though, if your really unhappy.

"most Brits hate the place and want to get out!" - well why don't they then? Cos they know that they are much better off staying in the UK.

I know that now, which is why I can't wait to get back to my beloved Norn Iron! , and believe it or not, its a much safe place that the mainland right now, even if we do have problems with politics.
Old Jun 6th 2008, 6:16 am
Failed Expat ;-)

NJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Honest_H
Wow!, One angry bloke, but really is there any need for the names.

I thought this forum was to express views and help.

Dave, if its that bad, go back, why have you stuck it a year? Oh of course, cheap education. Is is worth it though, if your really unhappy.

"most Brits hate the place and want to get out!" - well why don't they then? Cos they know that they are much better off staying in the UK.

I know that now, which is why I can't wait to get back to my beloved Norn Iron! , and believe it or not, its a much safe place that the mainland right now, even if we do have problems with politics.
I never once said that I was unhappy. My gang of wannabe psychologists did that for me

Seems I rattled a few cages by daring to criticise (Great) Britain. Well it may be a shit-hole, but it's home, and that's why I'm sticking with it.
Old Jun 6th 2008, 6:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

I never once said that I was unhappy. My gang of wannabe psychologists did that for me

Seems I rattled a few cages by daring to criticise (Great) Britain. Well it may be a shit-hole, but it's home, and that's why I'm sticking with it.
Great Britain actually refers to a geographical area, not that the place is "great".
Old Jun 6th 2008, 6:20 am
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

I enjoy a good bit of vitriol sometimes. Good on the OP (I don't think it is important or not if I/we agree with him). I think it is important to let folk have their say.

Better if the name calling stops though.
Old Jun 6th 2008, 6:20 am
Failed Expat ;-)

NJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Great Britain actually refers to a geographical area, not that the place is "great".
No shit? I'll have to remember that one in case it comes up in the next pub quiz......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.