Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Back Home
Reload this Page >

One year back in Scotland after 20 away

One year back in Scotland after 20 away

Old Aug 3rd 2021, 4:09 pm
Just Joined

Jenblodgett21 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile One year back in Scotland after 20 away

Hello all, I decided to join the forum after reading so many uplifting stories about returning to Scotland after years abroad. Sadly, there seems to be a few who have not settled in so well, and I can understand both sides. It has not been easy for me returning home after 20 years in the states, but I wanted to come back to spend quality time with my terminally ill mum who recently just passed away. We sold everything to come back, home, furniture, vehicles, both my husband and I gave up good jobs, we even shipped our bulldogs, which was extremely stressful, to be here to help my elderly dad with my mum's care, and to give him a break. We did not know how long my mum had, so could not risk renting out our home in Florida, so decided to cut our losses, sell everything and come home. The time I had with my mum was beyond precious, and I have no regrets there from that standpoint. My dad is amazing for 83, but I find myself so homesick for the US and my mental health has been severely damaged due to anxiety and stress. My only sibling I was close to has changed (as I am sure I have) and unfortunately we no longer have the brother/sister relationship I always enjoyed.
Thankfully, my Scottish friends from the last 40 years have been amazing and reconnecting with them has been a blessing.
Things I miss about the US - the amazing customer service in stores and restaurants, my work colleagues at All Children's Hospital, our fabulous neighbors who would do anything for you, my American "framily" my pool, our income, the hot weather, the 24 hour pharmacies.........
We have settled in beautiful Fife, and we have a nice flat, and I am confident that things will pick up as time goes on. My husband is excited about being in Scotland permanently, so I am trying to stay positive for him.
Thank you for reading, and I would love to hear your feedback if any of you have gone through a tough transition home.
Jen

Old Aug 5th 2021, 1:18 am
vh3
Forum Regular

vh3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: One year back in Scotland after 20 away

Thank you for telling your story. After 26 years in Canada, hubby and I are moving back home to Scotland. Our home is up for sale so it is just a matter of waiting. We know that we have changed and will have to adapt to our new way of life. But I so miss our families and that is what will make it worth while. We have good friends here but it is not the same. Keeping a positive attitude will help things improve. We came to the decision that all the material things we would miss cannot make up for family and friends. That is not to say we will miss everything once we settle back home.
Old Aug 5th 2021, 11:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jenblodgett21
Hello all, I decided to join the forum after reading so many uplifting stories about returning to Scotland after years abroad. Sadly, there seems to be a few who have not settled in so well, and I can understand both sides. It has not been easy for me returning home after 20 years in the states, but I wanted to come back to spend quality time with my terminally ill mum who recently just passed away. We sold everything to come back, home, furniture, vehicles, both my husband and I gave up good jobs, we even shipped our bulldogs, which was extremely stressful, to be here to help my elderly dad with my mum's care, and to give him a break. We did not know how long my mum had, so could not risk renting out our home in Florida, so decided to cut our losses, sell everything and come home. The time I had with my mum was beyond precious, and I have no regrets there from that standpoint. My dad is amazing for 83, but I find myself so homesick for the US and my mental health has been severely damaged due to anxiety and stress. My only sibling I was close to has changed (as I am sure I have) and unfortunately we no longer have the brother/sister relationship I always enjoyed.
Thankfully, my Scottish friends from the last 40 years have been amazing and reconnecting with them has been a blessing.
Things I miss about the US - the amazing customer service in stores and restaurants, my work colleagues at All Children's Hospital, our fabulous neighbors who would do anything for you, my American "framily" my pool, our income, the hot weather, the 24 hour pharmacies.........
We have settled in beautiful Fife, and we have a nice flat, and I am confident that things will pick up as time goes on. My husband is excited about being in Scotland permanently, so I am trying to stay positive for him.
Thank you for reading, and I would love to hear your feedback if any of you have gone through a tough transition home.
Jen
I just read your post. So sorry about your mum. Glad you were able to spend time with her before she died. I cannot give you any advice or feedback as I have lived in the US for 30 years (yikes)! I am still here in Ohio. That said - my mum was Scottish and I still have family there. I haven't been back since 2019 due to Covid but always enjoy my visits. My sister lives in Fife - it is lovely. Lots of nice coastal walks and the weather is drier than the west coast of Scotland. I wish you well - I am sure it will take a while to settle in. The Scottish people are wonderful (same as the Irish where I grew up). I would move back to the UK in a heartbeat but my adult children and 4 adorable American grand-children keep me here. Hopefully a few other people will go online and give you their experiences/advice. I wish you and your family well!
Old Aug 5th 2021, 4:40 pm
vh3
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jenblodgett21
Jen
I agree with Derrygal, you will find so much support from this site and I admire you for making the decision to be with your mum. One thread I always took so much comfort in was CarolinefromArizona. She too took a little while to settle back in but is now happy and settled. I wish the same for you.

Last edited by vh3; Aug 5th 2021 at 4:59 pm.
Old Aug 5th 2021, 4:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Helen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond repute

I had visions for a moment of Caroline from Arizona standing there, looking menacing.
Old Aug 5th 2021, 4:59 pm
vh3
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Helen1964
I had visions for a moment of Caroline from Arizona standing there, looking menacing.
I am so glad you noticed the typo. Oops.