Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Back Home
Reload this Page >

Notes from an even smaller island

Notes from an even smaller island

Old Jun 3rd 2019, 4:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Bud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Notes from an even smaller island

Approaching six months on the island now. Summer has arrived together with the tourists, the place has opened up with events large and small taking place all over the Island. Slightly more congestion than in the winter but nothing too bad, though we still have the school summer holiday period to look forward to.!!
Had a little touch of island fever a few weeks back., but this was quickly resolved by a trip to London to take in a couple of shows. A two day break and I was looking forward to getting back to the island. We decided to do the trip by public transport, bus to the Shanklin train station, train to the ferry, ferry to Portsmouth harbour station and on into London by train. All for around £30 return. The island bus service is excellent, the train not so good. The trains are old underground trains and I wouldn't advise anyone to go on them if you have a bad back. It was a bit like being on a rickety old wooden roller coaster. Buying a cup of coffee for the journey was not my wisest decision.
All in all life is good. Starting to get out and about a bit more, though we haven't joined any clubs or groups yet, partly because we've been entertaining family and friends who've come over for a visit, I'm sure that will wear off with the passage of time. Grand kids from the states arrive this week and are staying for the summer so we've stocked up on valium, increased the overdraft facility and bought a large roll of duct tape. Can't wait to see them.
As I've said before, the island isn't for everyone, I think it would be great place to bring up a young family and a place to retire to as life is generally slower and more laid back, sometimes too slow and too laid back but you start to unravel, relax and get used to it. I can understand why young adults would want to leave the island to seek opportunities and adventures further afield ( doesn't that happen everywhere? ) but I've also met a few who have returned once they have got the wanderlust years out of their system. There's no 'one size fits all' in life.
One more thing, not related to just the IOW, but to the whole of the UK. The NHS is the heartbeat of our nation preserve it at all costs.
Old Jun 14th 2019, 2:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond repute

Yesterday on the IOW.
Old Jun 15th 2019, 2:52 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Oo. A moody sky.

Rains?
Old Jun 15th 2019, 8:05 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
Oo. A moody sky.

Rains?
You don't see it? .... It's a funnel cloud. They are more common in the UK than people realize, and about 35 of them every year reach the ground, and therefore becoming a tornado.
Old Jun 16th 2019, 2:31 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
You don't see it? .... It's a funnel cloud. They are more common in the UK than people realize, and about 35 of them every year reach the ground, and therefore becoming a tornado.
A few days ago I'd never heard of one. I don't recall where I saw it but the picture illustrating it looked like any other cloudy grey sky.
This picture does look different but so do many funny shaped clouds. I wouldn't think anything untoward if I saw this...unless it picked me up and spat me out.
Old Sep 17th 2019, 2:49 am
Just Joined

Marblesthecat is an unknown quantity at this point

Aw the Isle of Wight is where my entire family live and I grew up, also spent 6 years living in st Helens recently and y two children spent their early years there. Now we are back in NC, my husband is American and my kids now have settled into the States - one was born stateside and the other in the IOW. Miss my Isle and especially my family EVERY DAY - enjoy, there are so many hidden treasures there
Old Jun 8th 2020, 4:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Here on the isle of Bute there is little hostility between newcomers and locals ("Brandanes"" The locals are aware of who is an incomer but outsiders are accepted , if considered to be not fully human. A knowledge of local kinship links can be useful Much discussion among locals is tied in to the question of who is who.

Brandane comes from St Brendan ("The navigator" who was here at the beginning of The Christian era.
Old Jul 30th 2020, 4:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Summer but the weather is not improving. Rain and then more rain.
Old Jul 30th 2020, 8:46 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
I thought that was summer in your neck of the woods. .... Meaning potentially anywhere in the UK.

I have a picture I took of Mrs P, wearing a thick parka, hood up, under threatening dark skys, when it was cold and blowing a gale, on the beach at Hastings, ...... on July 4th, 2001.

Old Jul 31st 2020, 4:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

"If you do not like rain, go and live in The Sahara !" said Billy Connolly, who emigrated to California. I am slowly learning to cope with the high rainfall here on the West Coast oif Scotland. I am even learning to understand some of the locals.
Old Aug 7th 2020, 5:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Chancellor of the Exchequer paid a short visit to Bute today. The locals were hostile and I was too busy to see him.
Old Aug 7th 2020, 6:13 pm

..... The locals were hostile .....
That has long been the case "north of the border".
Old Aug 7th 2020, 6:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hanoverians and their agents not generally welcome.
Old Aug 11th 2020, 3:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond repute

I can understand the weather is like that. How is the internet speed up there?
Old Aug 11th 2020, 3:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

In town it is fine. Not sure about out in the boondocks. I never go there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.