new home

Old Sep 20th 2015, 3:53 pm
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default new home

Hi all, just wanted to say we've moved into our new home and after a couple of mishaps, have settled nicely. We have only moved 5 minutes from where we rented for 2 years but it's a whole different estate. We are the last house at the end of the road with fields on one side and not overlooked at all.

Laminate flooring done downstairs and new carpet upstairs. We are going to get it painted throughout starting early October so can't wait for that as it's all magnolia at the moment and I'm sick of that from renting.
The neighbours have been introducing themselves (not sure if that is a good thing ) and are all really friendly and well established living here 16 years or more.

My youngest 12 year old is out on her bike every day. seriously, she gets in from school, grabs a drink and snack and off she goes to meet one friend or another on her bike. It's just like when I was her age. She had a rocky year 7 in secondary school settling in but she's really turned things around this year with a new group of friends, a couple of which live nearby.

My eldest age 20 has just booked her flight back to Canada for March I'm really sad about this but I actually partly encouraged it as she keeps saying she wants to return and I believe she needs to get it out of her system. She is still in love with a guy over there who has also proclaimed his undying love in return . They have dated twice before and it didn't work so we'll see about that one. Most of her friends there have babies now so really not much in common with them anymore. I give it 6 months max , just time to get excited about seeing everyone, settling in, then getting bored and realising she has a great life here with her family and going out every weekend with friends. She may prove me wrong in which case I'll just have to suck it up. The major drawback which will devastate me is when she tells me she's pregnant with my first grandchild. I guess we'll cross that bridge if and when we come to it.

Hubby is feeling settled now which is great and he still loves his job in London. This pleases me more than ever as he didn't want to leave Canada but just did it for me.

And I am happy

OK so that turned into a bit of an essay but hope everyone is well, I have been keeping up on here and there are some happy people back home which is great

Last edited by Lorry1; Sep 20th 2015 at 5:52 pm.
Old Sep 20th 2015, 6:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

NiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: new home

Great update, thank you so much for posting!

I'm so glad things have worked out so well, especially with your husband's job it would have been really hard for all of you if he hadn't found something over there that he enjoyed.

Love that you live somewhere that your 12 year old can play outside with friends, it's a wonderful freedom to have. Do you mind me asking which County/area you are in?

I think you are right your eldest needs to return to Canada so she can feel happy with whichever choice she makes.
Old Sep 20th 2015, 9:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for updating us. We are having our house painted a taupe/beige colour and I chose samples from Dulux in Canada and posted them to decorator saying any of these colours or variation would be fine but nothing with a pink undertone! Hate Magnolia! We are also going to be doing laminate downstairs but not at moment, have to move in first and settle. Unfortunately it means we have to move furniture around, but so be it!

So pleased your hubby is happy, that is my worry as mine also really only came back on my insistence and is retiring so hope he can keep busy.

I am sure your daughter will come to her senses. If you have her on Facebook make sure you and your friends post loads of pics of you guys having a great time! Sneaky but she may look and compare her life with yours! I know that that is one of the things that got to me, seeing family and friends enjoying themselves while I was so lonely and bored here in Canada! for you she does make it back to her family sooner than later.
Old Sep 21st 2015, 4:26 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

What a lovely update. So uplifting.

Thanks for sharing. I'm sure that posts like yours helps others coming along behind.
Old Sep 22nd 2015, 4:14 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

So happy for you
Old Sep 22nd 2015, 5:50 am
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all, thanks for your replys

NiHao, I am in Wokingham, Berkshire and I love it. Wokingham is actually a market town with just a few shops but it's nice to walk to for necessities. I can just jump on the train 10 minutes to Reading one way and an hour to London the other for my shopping fix

We always skirted around Wokingham when we lived in England before and I'm not sure why, but we never thought to live here. Now I'm happy we do as it's probably the best place I ever lived, and I've lived in a lot of places!

FeelBritish, good luck with your new home. I've got to say getting the laminate floor done after we moved in was quite stressful. we had only been in 2 weeks and were feeling quite settled already, having unpacked and sorted in just 3 days, so moving all the furniture back out was a bit of a nightmare. We now have to do it all again for the painting but I know the end result will be worth it!

about the Facebook pics. I'll be sure to post plenty I am upset but unfortunately she had her teenage friends through school in Canada and those are pretty important, whereas my youngest most important friends are still to come here. I guess that even if we hadn't moved to Canada, she still could have emigrated somewhere at some time, you just never know where life takes you.
I said to my husband, we'll have one in Canada and one in England, so we'll have to move to Iceland in the middle

Good luck to you and everyone else making the move home. I still have absolutely no regrets and am genuinley really happy here. I say go for it
Old Sep 23rd 2015, 11:57 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorry1
NiHao, I am in Wokingham, Berkshire and I love it. Wokingham is actually a market town with just a few shops but it's nice to walk to for necessities. I can just jump on the train 10 minutes to Reading one way and an hour to London the other for my shopping fix

We always skirted around Wokingham when we lived in England before and I'm not sure why, but we never thought to live here. Now I'm happy we do as it's probably the best place I ever lived, and I've lived in a lot of places!
Blimey, I didn't realise you were so close to me *waves from 10 minutes down the road*.

And yes, Wokingham's fab - Wokingham is named best family town | The Times If you've got any strong feeling about the secondary school your daughter's in, then please feel free to PM me. We're just looking around them all at the moment as I've got a Yr 6!

Glad it's all going well for you.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Sep 23rd 2015 at 12:00 pm.
Old Sep 23rd 2015, 2:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Blimey, I didn't realise you were so close to me *waves from 10 minutes down the road*.

And yes, Wokingham's fab - Wokingham is named best family town | The Times If you've got any strong feeling about the secondary school your daughter's in, then please feel free to PM me. We're just looking around them all at the moment as I've got a Yr 6!

I am close too, just over border in Bucks In small market town on river Thames
Old Sep 23rd 2015, 5:53 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

I'm glad you are happy Lorry1
Old Sep 23rd 2015, 6:33 pm
The Brit is back

Originally Posted by christmasoompa

Hellooooooo

Yes, I heard about Wokingham being the best town for families on the local radio this morning and thought... please don't tell eveyone, they'll all come here!

I've got to say we are really lucky here as all the secondary schools are generally very good. No real issues where my daughter is. I'll pm you

Thanks all, and feelBritish, market towns are really cute I love it here
Old Oct 4th 2015, 7:35 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

So glad that things have worked out so well for you and I hope your daughter comes back soon!
Old Oct 5th 2015, 10:13 am
The Brit is back

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
So glad that things have worked out so well for you and I hope your daughter comes back soon!
Thanks sally!

From the other thread, it seems like you are really happy and settled back here too in beautful Yorkshire