Moving back biggest mistake

Old Nov 30th 2015, 8:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back biggest mistake

Originally Posted by Editha
The statistics are against you on crime, which has dropped dramatically since the mid-nineties.
Since the days of the "Empire", I was thinking of-- since the late 1940s.
Old Dec 1st 2015, 10:56 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
We lost an Empire but have not found a new role. I am not the first to make that judgement.Great Britain has lost an Empire and has not yet found a role... - Quote
For so many in GB, the default position seems to be straight out of "The Daiiy Mail". Colonel Blimp rules !
I still say that things are much better in Germany ! Our Blimps simply cannot stomach the idea that Germania has sorted things out while GB is in a real mess.
What does how good/how bad Germany is got to do with the OP's situation? And what's a 'Daily Mail/Colonel Blimp default position'?
Old Dec 2nd 2015, 7:43 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

I want to know where "Germania" is (presuming Scot is not referring to the ancient Roman region). Is it next door to Ruritania?
Old Dec 2nd 2015, 12:11 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

I want to know where "Germania" is (presuming Scot is not referring to the ancient Roman region). Is it next door to Ruritania?
Thanks for a good chuckle Editha!
Old Dec 5th 2015, 3:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Colonel Blimp -https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colonel_Blimp
"Germania" is merely the Latin form of the country on the other side of the North sea.( formerly called The German Ocean). I must assume that the criticism of my post comes form those who have neglected the study of German and Latin.

Last edited by scot47; Dec 5th 2015 at 3:32 pm.
Old Dec 5th 2015, 3:42 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

"Germania" is merely the Latin form of the country on the other side of the North sea.( formerly called The German Ocean). I must assume that the criticism of my post comes form those who have neglected the study of German and Latin.
Why German? I always thought they called their country Deutschland.

Or maybe Der Vaterland in your day.
Old Dec 5th 2015, 4:07 pm
Concierge

I didn't ask who/what Colonel Blimp is, I asked what a "Daily Mail/Colonel Blimp default position" is. More properly, I perhaps should have asked why you consider that 'so many' people in the UK hold such a position.

A default position is an opinion held without regard to debate or evidence - sort of like your default position regarding your understanding of the default position of 'so many' people in the UK.

Intelligent, educated people tend to refer to a country/region by its current official name. I'd quite rightly sound like a pretentious knob if I told people I was born in Terra Australis.
Old Dec 5th 2015, 4:22 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

No it isn't. Germania referred to the area inhabited by the Germanic peoples; that is the people whom the Romans regarded as Germanic, not necessarily the ancestors of modern day German speakers.

Our word German is derived from the Latin word Germania, but Germania is not the Latin for modern day Germany.
Old Dec 5th 2015, 4:26 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
I didn't ask who/what Colonel Blimp is, I asked what a "Daily Mail/Colonel Blimp default position" is. More properly, I perhaps should have asked why you consider that 'so many' people in the UK hold such a position.

A default position is an opinion held without regard to debate or evidence - sort of like your default position regarding your understanding of the default position of 'so many' people in the UK.

Intelligent, educated people tend to refer to a country/region by its current official name. I'd quite rightly sound like a pretentious knob if I told people I was born in Terra Australis.
Old Dec 5th 2015, 4:43 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

This is hardly worth pointing out, but Germany is just one of several countries that are 'on the other side of the North Sea'.
Old Dec 5th 2015, 9:59 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Our word German is derived from the Latin word Germania, but Germania is not the Latin for modern day Germany.
And since scott47 invoked ignorance of Latin as a cause of disagreement, may I point out that (paraphrasing Julius Caesar), Omnia Germania in duos partes divisa est. (Or was then).

Magna Germania was the Roman term for a much larger region (at the time mostly terra incognito) which encompassed not only modern day Germany but also modern day Poland, the Czech Republic and Switzerland.

Germany as such has of course only existed since the second half of the 19th century.

Haven't they done well? Compare Canada.

Last edited by Novocastrian; Dec 5th 2015 at 10:02 pm.
Old Dec 6th 2015, 8:03 am
Was in Canada, now home.

It was Gaul that was divided into two parts, according to Julius Caeser.
Old Dec 6th 2015, 8:33 am
Born again atheist

It was Gaul that was divided into two parts, according to Julius Caeser.
No. That was three parts. Hence the word paraphrasing.
Old Dec 6th 2015, 8:58 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Of course.
Old Dec 6th 2015, 7:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

Colonel Blimp with Deborah Kerr is a nice movie.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.