Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Back Home
Reload this Page >

I returned fro Oz ten years today

I returned fro Oz ten years today

Old Mar 8th 2019, 10:34 am
BE Enthusiast

kevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond repute
Default I returned fro Oz ten years today

This is strange feeling posting here after approximately ten years.
I remember letting off lots of steam on this forum and amusing and offending in equal measure.
On with brief story..... On reflection my eighteen months in Oz made me appreciate Scotland and what I have. Ive made a comfortable living and my children have thrived.
Governments are the same the world over and the media are there to scare and control by proxy.
I often think back to how desolate and far removed Australia is from the rest of the planet and can never forget the deep unhappiness that many shared with me. I know some love the place and wish to remain but I have never anywhere else witnessed the twelve thousand miles stare in people.
Since returning I have explored more of my own country appreciatively and travelled widely through Europe. It’s Albania next month😏.
It is incredible that this little part of the earth’s surface is responsible for almost almost everything that is worth anything
Good luck folks.
Coffe and Cuban cigar tonight to celebrate.
Old Mar 9th 2019, 10:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I returned fro Oz ten years today

Albania ? Remember Comrade Enver Hoxha's slogan "Together with China we are 600 Million Strong !"
Old Mar 11th 2019, 9:02 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kevin747 View Post
I remember letting off lots of steam on this forum and amusing and offending in equal measure.
On with brief story..... On reflection my eighteen months in Oz made me appreciate Scotland and what I have. Ive made a comfortable living and my children have thrived.
Governments are the same the world over and the media are there to scare and control by proxy.
I often think back to how desolate and far removed Australia is from the rest of the planet and can never forget the deep unhappiness that many shared with me. I know some love the place and wish to remain but I have never anywhere else witnessed the twelve thousand miles stare in people.
Since returning I have explored more of my own country appreciatively and travelled widely through Europe. It’s Albania next month😏.
It is incredible that this little part of the earth’s surface is responsible for almost almost everything that is worth anything
Good luck folks.
Its nearly 10 years for us as well (where does the time go) although for us we did have some good times in Australia, I do agree with your thoughts, since we have been back in the UK, like you we have also explored our own wonderful country with a fresh/new perspective and it's been a joy to do so, we have also been able to visit countries both close by and far flung with considerable less expense and yes even time.than in Australia. I know it's each to their own but we do live in a wonderful part of the world. Good luck with Albania what an interesting place to visit.
Old Mar 13th 2019, 4:47 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brits1 View Post
Its nearly 10 years for us as well (where does the time go) although for us we did have some good times in Australia, I do agree with your thoughts, since we have been back in the UK, like you we have also explored our own wonderful country with a fresh/new perspective and it's been a joy to do so, we have also been able to visit countries both close by and far flung with considerable less expense and yes even time.than in Australia. I know it's each to their own but we do live in a wonderful part of the world. Good luck with Albania what an interesting place to visit.
I was wondering what a 'twelve thousand mile stare' looks like, and whether I had it, lost it, then had it again when I returned to Oz
Old Mar 14th 2019, 5:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kevin747 View Post
Good luck folks.
Gosh, had it been 10 years? I remember your return (and Brits1 as well!) is been 7.5 years for us but I'm guessing that in the next 12-18 months we will be going back to Australia. For us, that was always going to be on the cards as we only every intended to care for my olds. Now there is only dad and he's 95 and his needs are getting beyond us so when we get back from our holiday in Australia at the beginning of May we will have to bite the bullet and put him into care and leave him (alone unfortunately). I've enjoyed every minute of the last 7 years really despite all the caring thing. We've seen the very best of Britain when we've managed to escape. I think you're right, you have to move away to appreciate what you've got.
Old Mar 15th 2019, 1:52 am
Somewhere rather noisy .

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse View Post
I was wondering what a 'twelve thousand mile stare' looks like, and whether I had it, lost it, then had it again when I returned to Oz
I think I've had it plastered on me chops at times.
It's a wonderful phrase that I've never heard of before.

Old Mar 17th 2019, 9:07 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse View Post
I have just had to look up that quote lol...never heard of it before....I have just spent a couple of days in Bristol ...I actually walked across the suspension bridge for the first time and it took me right back to my history class all those years ago....Mrs Yates would be proud (my then history teacher) honestly made me pleased as punch that I did that walk lol.