British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Back Home (https://britishexpats.com/forum/back-home-158/)
-   -   hope this helps (https://britishexpats.com/forum/back-home-158/hope-helps-824954/)

SUPERCAD Feb 13th 2014 8:53 am

hope this helps

Iv been back now for 10 days its a bit different for us as i still work in OZ until my contract finishes and then the UK will be my base country and ill work off shore very similar to another poster on here.

We came over and the dogs followed the next day my daughter had arranged a rental property for us but even though we had extensive negotiations and them signing guarantor i still had to pay 6 months in advance to secure the property, I dont see any other way around this.

We used Dogtainers to move the 2 dogs they provided a fantastic service id recommend them any day. We picked the dogs up the next day they were great and happy to see us be aware that dogs suffer jet lag to.
My daughter had set up a bank account in her name just so we had an account to use when we got here, i transfered some money over using Ozforex for my transfers i have a Tranzfers account to but they seem to always have a worse exchange rate, i also think they use or are part of Ozforex. The problem we had was when we went to buy our new white ware and furniture they put a block on the card after the first big buy, not being the owner of the account meant we had to get my daughter to phone the bank. To cut the story short i ended up paying in cash and getting 100 pound credit for my inconvenience. i think to stop this happening advise the bank that your going to have some big buys.

To open our own bank account we went to Natwest who turned us away even though we had a rental agreement and passports there problem was the type of rental agreement next we when to Barclay and they were a totally different like chalk and cheese walked out with the account set up and apps set up on our smart phone, we had the exact same documents the difference was we didnt get a 16 year old box ticker. the service was 100 time better at Barclays and far more professional i would recommend starting with them, phone them first as we had to make appointments we couldnt just walking and see somebody.

Broadband we had installed 2 days after our arrival i had organized from OZ and had no hassle i was a bit worried about not be able to hard wire every thing in because of speed but it didnt matter as we get 48 mbs over the wireless router

Mobile phones are bit different iv tried with virgin but because we dont have a credit foot print here they turned in down at the moment we are on Tesco pre pay which we will stick to for a few months until we get a footprint. we have noticed that most if not all companies have numbers that charge more than the normal tariff, so while dealing we a deliveries, banks, insurance ect be aware of the the phone charges.

Well over all it has been a good experience there has been a few ups and downs sorting things out we have done this a few times now but each country has its differences. whether has been nasty but as long as you're kitted out its no problem the dogs are loving it, in general people seem happy and more polite then we see in OZ that also goes for road manners. i think it is what you make of it but for me seeing my wife with our grandchild and daughter is all the reward i need. I go back in 2 days for my next swing which will be hard.

Sue Feb 13th 2014 3:25 pm

Re: hope this helps

Thanks for sharing your experiences, it is so helpful to others yet to make the move back.

I hope you settle in really quickly.

MrMuffin Feb 14th 2014 2:08 pm

Good luck to you. It sounds like everything is fitting into place. It really is good to hear of other peoples' experiences with moving home, good or bad. Cheers!

SUPERCAD Feb 17th 2014 8:19 am

thanks i just got back to QLD this morning for my next swing

luvwelly Feb 23rd 2014 9:46 pm

Sounds great - even if you are going to and fro at the moment.

jadm5000 Mar 20th 2014 8:28 pm

Mobile phones are bit different iv tried with virgin but because we dont have a credit foot print here they turned in down at the moment we are on Tesco pre pay

Congrads. I was just there Nov 2013 first return in 13 years, I found the mobile co. 3 was most reasonable, Tescos is a good second. :) Hoping to return for good soon from USA. :unsure:

SUPERCAD Mar 22nd 2014 11:57 am

i done a similar thing i hadnt been back in 17 years then i returned on holiday in 2012 and agian in 2013 and moved back in 2014. i still work overseas on a FIFO basis i have really enjoyed my time back home there were a few horror stories but none have turned out to be true.
We do have a new Grand Daughter which made the decision easier