Home sweet home!

Old Jun 2nd 2014, 6:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

lgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Home sweet home!

got my car today, yay! its definitely nice and you can't go wrong with a fiesta for price and fuel economy. Not used to driving such a small car and definitely not used to a manual yet. Need some more practice on those hill starts.
Old Jun 2nd 2014, 6:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah hill starts
Old Jun 2nd 2014, 7:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Gotta love those hill starts.

Our first new car ever was a Fiesta, back in 1981. Thanks for triggering those memories, we loved that car.
Attached Thumbnails Home sweet home!-berwick-fiesta.jpg  
Old Jun 2nd 2014, 7:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by durham_lad

Our first new car ever was a Fiesta, back in 1981. Thanks for triggering those memories, we loved that car.
Nice photo.
Old Jun 2nd 2014, 8:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

lgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond repute

My first car was a 1982 Fiesta. Same colour red as yours. Sadly I didn't get it until 1993 so it has seen better days but still loved it!
Old Jun 2nd 2014, 8:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lgabriel73
My first car was a 1982 Fiesta. Same colour red as yours. Sadly I didn't get it until 1993 so it has seen better days but still loved it!
Is your new Fiesta diesel or petrol? I like the idea of zero road tax when we move back in a couple of years.
Old Jun 2nd 2014, 9:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Its petrol and its 0 road tax which is nice. Claims to get 66 miles to the gallon on the specs which realistically is about 45-50.
Old Jun 2nd 2014, 9:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Its petrol and its 0 road tax which is nice. Claims to get 66 miles to the gallon on the specs which realistically is about 45-50.
Awesome, that is Prius mileage
Old Jun 4th 2014, 12:53 am
BE Enthusiast

kevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond repute

Love hearing the updates from lgabriel. Glad things are going so well.

My parent's first new car was a bright red fiesta (I think it was the next redesign after the one in the picture). Someone ran into the back of it the first day of ownership, when my mum was waiting to turn right. Needless to say my mum was gobsmacked.

I've had 2 similar incidents occur to me (within 6 weeks of each other) in my US driving career. In a third incident, my car got hit by someone while it was parked on the street outside the house. They hit the left (driver's side) front wheel, and broke the suspension. They never knocked on the house door, or left a note on the car. So I had to take the insurance hit on that one.

All 3 accidents have been with the same vehicle, a 2001 RAV4. Its approaching 150k miles, so will probably look to change it in the next 12 - 18 months. Dread to think what I will be able to sell it for with 3 accidents on the Carfax report. Although all 3 accidents were low speed, where my car was stationary in each one.

I have also caused 1 accident in my 20 years driving in the US. This time I ran into the back of someone. Again this was very low speed, waiting at a junction. Made the classic mistake of looking left to see if the road was clear (it was), and assumed the vehicle in front had already pulled away (he started to before I looked left, but obviously changed his mind). Totally my fault.

Fortunately there was no visible damage to the other driver's vehicle (he had a Ford Explorer). I had a 1989 Acura Integra, and the accident crushed one of the pop-up headlights. So whenever I turned on the car lights after that accident, it looked like the car was winking. I never did get that crushed light repaired. Ended up donating the Integra to charity, with 225k miles on the clock (it had 100k on it when I bought it). Took a tax deduction for the donation.

Despite the 3 accidents, my 2001 RAV4 has been rock solid reliable. And I have had it professionally repaired after each incident. The last repair (broken suspension) was almost $5k. I'm surprised the insurance company didn't write off the car.

Anyway, I don't mean to hijack lgabriel's lovely discussion. Please keep posting your updates.
Old Jun 4th 2014, 7:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Vadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond repute

So nice to see such a positive experience! May it long continue (ours certainly has).
Old Jun 4th 2014, 12:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, can't resist sharing my own Fiesta story (just like yours only the darker metallic "Jupiter Red"). At 1 yr. old, it was rolled end over end in the Canadian Rockies by my very soon thereafter EX-boyfriend, pushed right side up again and driven away at recorded speeds in excess of 100 mph in an attempt to escape the RCMP who were in hot pursuit. You might think that was the end of my little car but not so - After it was repaired, it traveled almost from Pacific to Atlantic and a lot of miles in between. It was over 20 years old when I finally drove it to the graveyard due to a hole having rusted through the floor under the driver's seat. I loved that little car!
Old Jun 4th 2014, 3:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Got my car insurance sorted out today. Cheapest price was 346 gbp with Aviva. Driving is coming on nicely too although my heart attack yesterday was when I had to take my little car for petrol. 47gbp to fill up a 1000cc fiesta aargh!!! My first real negative about the UK!
The town I live in, Pontefract has a famous castle (well its ruins now) but in all my time living in the Uk had never been there and its 5 minutes walk from my house. Took the dog for a walk their today. Dogs are allowed pretty much everywhere and you'll see bowls of water out for them. It was also free entrance. Im used to having to pay to go places in the US and not being allowed to take the dog.
Still amazed by how friendly and helpful people are wherever I go. I was int he bank and there was anoldman at the cashier next to me. He was putting money in his ISA and had made a comment about the rates. The cashier told him he needed to change them every year and then proceeded to look up his rates and get him the information he needed. I went to pay for my parking and a woman got out of her car to let me know that the machine was broken. A woman in the toilets let me know that the hand dryer was broken but there was paper towel by the sink for when i came out. I know these seem like silly little things but they are things that I can honestly say i have never noticed in the US. Everyone is always to busy for anyone else!
Anyway its my Mums birthday this weekend so lots of fun family things planned. Not usually home for her birthday so it will be nice to be part of the celebration!
Old Jun 5th 2014, 11:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Got my car insurance sorted out today. Cheapest price was 346 gbp with Aviva. Driving is coming on nicely too although my heart attack yesterday was when I had to take my little car for petrol. 47gbp to fill up a 1000cc fiesta aargh!!! My first real negative about the UK!
The town I live in, Pontefract has a famous castle (well its ruins now) but in all my time living in the Uk had never been there and its 5 minutes walk from my house. Took the dog for a walk their today. Dogs are allowed pretty much everywhere and you'll see bowls of water out for them. It was also free entrance. Im used to having to pay to go places in the US and not being allowed to take the dog.
Still amazed by how friendly and helpful people are wherever I go. I was int he bank and there was anoldman at the cashier next to me. He was putting money in his ISA and had made a comment about the rates. The cashier told him he needed to change them every year and then proceeded to look up his rates and get him the information he needed. I went to pay for my parking and a woman got out of her car to let me know that the machine was broken. A woman in the toilets let me know that the hand dryer was broken but there was paper towel by the sink for when i came out. I know these seem like silly little things but they are things that I can honestly say i have never noticed in the US. Everyone is always to busy for anyone else!
Anyway its my Mums birthday this weekend so lots of fun family things planned. Not usually home for her birthday so it will be nice to be part of the celebration!
Thank you for those lovely anecdotes. It really is the little things in life that matter the most. And a very happy birthday to your mum!
Old Jun 14th 2014, 8:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Back four weeks today and having my first wobble. Not sure why as things are going well and spent the afternoon yesterday catching up with an old school friend that I haven't seen in over 20 years. Had some strange dreams last night about people from my past in the US which might have something to do with it. Also I guess its probably normal to have a little wobble. Anyway its the weekend and the dog has her fist swim at the indoor doggy swimming pool today. Yes it sounds such an American concept but i never found one in the US! Im sure she'll have a blast and it should improve my mood. Oh and I have an interview on Monday, Yay! Its through a recruiter which is good because if she doesn't think I'm a fit for the particular job I applied for she will have others that might be a better fit. Onwards and upwards and time to shake off this wobble!
Old Jun 14th 2014, 12:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Back four weeks today and having my first wobble. Not sure why as things are going well and spent the afternoon yesterday catching up with an old school friend that I haven't seen in over 20 years. Had some strange dreams last night about people from my past in the US which might have something to do with it. Also I guess its probably normal to have a little wobble. Anyway its the weekend and the dog has her fist swim at the indoor doggy swimming pool today. Yes it sounds such an American concept but i never found one in the US! Im sure she'll have a blast and it should improve my mood. Oh and I have an interview on Monday, Yay! Its through a recruiter which is good because if she doesn't think I'm a fit for the particular job I applied for she will have others that might be a better fit. Onwards and upwards and time to shake off this wobble!
Sorry to hear that. I'm sure it's all part of the process and we'll all remember the good things in our previous country. That's a good thing really. Good luck with the interview!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.