Home sweet home!

Old May 26th 2014, 7:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Brigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud of
Default Re: Home sweet home!

Wow! Great update glad everything went so smoothly. Glad you and the pooch made it safely
Old May 27th 2014, 5:20 pm
Forum Regular

ncoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nice

Originally Posted by lgabriel73
I am paying cash for my car but I was just at the ford dealer and they can offer financing based on your US credit rating given they are a US company. Im sure the other dealerships would probably do the same. So if you have good credit in the country you are coming from and you have a job lined up in the UK then financing shouldn't be a problem.
Ive narrowed it down to a couple of cars and am going to check on the insurance before making my decision.
Hi,
Keep us informed with what you decide.
Good luck with your move and glad to hear all ok.
We will be following you in 7 weeks.
Cheers
Nigel
Old May 27th 2014, 5:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

lgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond repute

Had my registration appointment with the doctors office today and no problems what so ever. Didn't even need my passport or any type of ID because I have my NHS number. Went over my forms took my height, weight etc and that was it. Even the fact that I have been out of the UK for 18 years didn't prevent the registration or cause the need for more documentation. yay!
Old May 27th 2014, 5:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

lgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond repute

Update on car insurance:

You can use comparethemarket.com however the prices were higher than others I found. They do accept the no claims from another country but the reason the premiums are higher is because insurance companies want to know that you have experience of driving in the UK. They ask you to state when you became resident in the UK, if you were from birth your premium would be several hundred pounds cheaper. I went direct to Aviva who actually quoted about 150 pounds less than any company on compare the market. I also tried Adrian Flux who came in 50 pounds less that Aviva. If you call Adrian Flux you can also get a cheaper rate so once I decide on which car to buy I will call them. Seems that my insurance for a 2013 fiesta would be about 350 pound for the first year using my 12 years no claims from the US and having a clean license for 21 years. Obviously next year it will be lower as I will have experience driving in the UK to show. While I have to do a bit of searching on my own it really hasn't been that hard to get someone to accept the US no claims bonus.
Old May 27th 2014, 6:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Had my registration appointment with the doctors office today and no problems what so ever. Didn't even need my passport or any type of ID because I have my NHS number. Went over my forms took my height, weight etc and that was it. Even the fact that I have been out of the UK for 18 years didn't prevent the registration or cause the need for more documentation. yay!
That is really good to hear, I hope we are as fortunate when we come to register. We have our NHS cards with old style numbers from when we left in 1987.

Ditto with the info on the car insurance, very good to hear.
Old May 27th 2014, 7:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

NiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond repute

lgabriel73,

All this info is so helpful, thank you!
Old May 27th 2014, 7:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Glad things are going well and thanks for the useful info!
Old May 29th 2014, 3:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond repute

Brilliant info for those of us moving back in the near future. Thanks so much. Particularly interesting is the US/UK credit re: cars and Amex. Good stuff. Plus I drove for 7 or 8 years (clean record and no claims) before moving to the USA so hopefully that'll count for something on the insurance front.

Keep the info coming but most of all good luck to you and all the best for the future and for getting your life re-started back in the UK.

Cheers, M
Old Jun 1st 2014, 2:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Well I've been back two weeks now and I can honestly say that America seems so far away and almost like it never happened. I'm still getting used to the idiosyncrasies of the UK but slowly but surely finding my feet. The weather has turned beautiful again which has given me the opportunity to be out and about with the dog finding places right on my doorstep that I never knew existed. One thing that has amazed me is how green everything is and how the hills just roll for miles. Im sure its always been this way but I guess sometimes you have to move away from a place to really appreciate it. Everyone is so friendly and although I am getting annoyed that people think Im american I still have a good banter with anyone that wants to chat. On a walk through the hills yesterday came across some horses and event they were friendly, LOL. Came over and stood there and let me pat him for ages. Cant remember the last time I've come across horses when walking let alone been able to touch one.
Anyway, I pick up my new car tomorrow, YAY! a 2013 ford fiesta. Great miles to the gallon and zero road tax. I get 7 days free insurance through Ford and will then finalize my own insurance which looks like it will be around 300 gbp through Adrian Flux. One thing I do recommend to those moving back that is if you haven't driven if the UK for many years like I hadn't then have a family member or friend take you out a few times. The roads are so different and add in focusing on changing gear all the time it takes some practise. Once I have my car I can then start catching up properly with old friends. Have a long list of them waiting for me to get in touch to arrange to meet up just wanted a few weeks to find my feet first. Oh and of course I can now start the official job hunt. Fortunately I haven't been in a rush as I am doing consulting for the company I worked for in the US so I still have money coming in. Wow, has it really been only two weeks that I have been home? Seems like I've been here a lot longer!
Old Jun 1st 2014, 2:47 pm
Banned

r0briley has much to be proud ofr0briley has much to be proud ofr0briley has much to be proud ofr0briley has much to be proud ofr0briley has much to be proud ofr0briley has much to be proud ofr0briley has much to be proud ofr0briley has much to be proud ofr0briley has much to be proud ofr0briley has much to be proud ofr0briley has much to be proud of

Well I've been back two weeks now and I can honestly say that America seems so far away and almost like it never happened. I'm still getting used to the idiosyncrasies of the UK but slowly but surely finding my feet. The weather has turned beautiful again which has given me the opportunity to be out and about with the dog finding places right on my doorstep that I never knew existed. One thing that has amazed me is how green everything is and how the hills just roll for miles. Im sure its always been this way but I guess sometimes you have to move away from a place to really appreciate it. Everyone is so friendly and although I am getting annoyed that people think Im american I still have a good banter with anyone that wants to chat. On a walk through the hills yesterday came across some horses and event they were friendly, LOL. Came over and stood there and let me pat him for ages. Cant remember the last time I've come across horses when walking let alone been able to touch one.
Anyway, I pick up my new car tomorrow, YAY! a 2013 ford fiesta. Great miles to the gallon and zero road tax. I get 7 days free insurance through Ford and will then finalize my own insurance which looks like it will be around 300 gbp through Adrian Flux. One thing I do recommend to those moving back that is if you haven't driven if the UK for many years like I hadn't then have a family member or friend take you out a few times. The roads are so different and add in focusing on changing gear all the time it takes some practise. Once I have my car I can then start catching up properly with old friends. Have a long list of them waiting for me to get in touch to arrange to meet up just wanted a few weeks to find my feet first. Oh and of course I can now start the official job hunt. Fortunately I haven't been in a rush as I am doing consulting for the company I worked for in the US so I still have money coming in. Wow, has it really been only two weeks that I have been home? Seems like I've been here a lot longer!
So glad everything's going well for you :-)
Old Jun 2nd 2014, 1:40 am
BE Enthusiast

NiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond repute

What a wonderful update! Love hearing how its going and you have some great tips in there too, thank you!
Old Jun 2nd 2014, 1:51 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

I seriously can't WAIT to experience this feeling!

Such a nice update and good luck with the car! What an exciting time!
Old Jun 2nd 2014, 2:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds great!

I'm interested in getting a Fiesta too.
Old Jun 2nd 2014, 3:16 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Sounds great!

I'm interested in getting a Fiesta too.
Our daughter, who lives in Santa Monica, has had a Fiesta for about 3 years now and loves it.
Old Jun 2nd 2014, 3:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by durham_lad
Our daughter, who lives in Santa Monica, has had a Fiesta for about 3 years now and loves it.
That's cool. I have heard a lot of good things about them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.