Happy New Year everyone

Old Jan 1st 2016, 5:01 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute
Default Happy New Year everyone

I've been back in the UK 18 months today.

Although I was only gone 8 years, and during that time I visited the UK every year, sometimes staying for months, there were subtle changes that I missed on my visits.

There is 'Rip-off Britain' -- I've experienced a little of that since I got back, but we've also become 'Discount Britain'. I would have saved myself oodles of cash if I'd realised that sooner. Before Christmas I read in the papers that deflation is over and inflation is on the rise, but I have difficulty believing that.

The decline of the DIY stores has puzzled me. B&Q and Homebase seem shadows of their former selves, which has been disappointing as we are renovating our house. Garden centres are not as good as I remember them either.

We bought a Fiat 500 because we prefer a small car to cope with country lanes, and we'd loved our Seicento that we had before we went to Canada. But we regret the purchase now. It is rubbish at climbing hills, and the front passenger seat is uncomfortable if you have legs as long as mine.
Old Jan 2nd 2016, 1:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Happy New Year everyone

Happy New Year to you too! I hope 2016 is a good one for you!
Old Jan 2nd 2016, 8:35 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

I pressed the post button by mistake before I'd finished the post, which is why it may seem a bit odd.
Old Jan 2nd 2016, 12:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

NiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond repute

Happy New Year! I'm interested to read the rest of your post when you've had time to post.
Old Jan 2nd 2016, 1:16 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Editha
Hi,

I pressed the post button by mistake before I'd finished the post, which is why it may seem a bit odd.
HNY from me too. Please continue with "the story so far....".
Old Jan 3rd 2016, 3:03 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

HNY Novo and Ni Hao. I've forgotten what I was going to write now!
Old Jan 3rd 2016, 3:15 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

HNY Novo and Ni Hao. I've forgotten what I was going to write now!
Shit, you're not even retired yet.
Old Jan 3rd 2016, 3:50 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

OK. Retired? Oh yes I am!

We are both happy with our choice of Devon to retire to. We are more remote from a town than we've ever been before, and that has required some adjustment on our part, but the community here has been very welcoming, and we love the local countryside. As is my wont, I've got stuck into local community activities. Thanks to my initiative, the village car-park now has bike racks!

When we chose to settle in Devon, I did not expect my entire family to join me, but my mum is now moving to a bungalow in the village, and my brother is planning to move from Kent to Cornwall.

A big event of 2015 (apart from me being on telly twice) was my OH getting cured of Hepatitis C. It was diagnosed in Canada, but the effective drugs were not supported by the Blue Cross scheme. Within a few months of returning to the UK he was put on a drugs trial and he is now free of the virus. Well done NHS!

Even so, I'm not entering 2016 in a very positive state of mind. My mother has dementia, and I've committed to taking over from my brother as her main carer. The only certainty with dementia is that it is going to get worse. I thought it was something I could cope with, but after just three weeks staying with her in October I was exhausted and tearful. I've found the Alzheimer's Society very helpful, but if my plan for mum's care is going to work, I'm going to have to find ways to avoid getting stressed out and making time for myself. The melt-down in social care provision as a result of the cuts doesn't help.
Old Jan 3rd 2016, 4:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

NiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond repute

LOL too funny! Don't you hate when that happens.
Old Jan 3rd 2016, 8:44 pm
Born again atheist

OK. Retired? Oh yes I am!

Even so, I'm not entering 2016 in a very positive state of mind. My mother has dementia, and I've committed to taking over from my brother as her main carer. The only certainty with dementia is that it is going to get worse. The melt-down in social care provision as a result of the cuts doesn't help.
We're very happy be back in the UK too, and in much the same position WRT aged folk, in my case my FIL. He's 89 and not in very good condition, but fiercely independent. We do what we can. Small things, like driving him whenever possible, going over to play cards on a Sunday etc, etc. (Oh, and drinking his wine cellar).