The first week back

Old Sep 23rd 2011, 8:30 pm
Forum Regular

MNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really nice
Default Re: The first week back

Originally Posted by J.J
I wish it were true, tickless was an anticipated plus for us moving back too. However it has proven not true here in Norfolk, we have to use Frontline on our cat for he often comes home bearing ticks. Common carriers here are hedgehogs, birds, muntjac deer, rabbits, etc. Our local common land is posted with signs warning of ticks potential on pets and owners, particularly in Spring and Autumn.
It must depend where you live, in many years of dog ownership (and field walks every day) neither of my dogs have ever had a tick on them. I am in the Midlands.
Old Sep 24th 2011, 3:01 am
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

This link will help:

http://www.bada-uk.org/homesection/a...ickspecies.php
Old Sep 27th 2011, 11:23 pm
Newish Member

Welshie82 is just really niceWelshie82 is just really niceWelshie82 is just really niceWelshie82 is just really niceWelshie82 is just really niceWelshie82 is just really niceWelshie82 is just really niceWelshie82 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Nyz
Good luck, this is going to be me next week!

Can't wait but still scared, OMG, what am I doing? Packing up is hard and I feel such a failure (sorry made it all about me!)
A failure?! Goodness no! You moved away from the land of your birth, giving up everything for the hope of adventure and new experiences. Had you stayed in the UK and only dreamed of moving away, well then you would have failed. But you didn't, you did it!
Old Sep 28th 2011, 12:00 am
BE Enthusiast

NiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks all for the info/input on Lyme disease/ticks in the UK. It sounds like its nothing like as common as here which is what I was guessing/hoping.
Old Oct 2nd 2011, 6:31 pm
Spouse of Resident Alien

White-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud of

I always check both dogs over when they come in from walks, one has short hair the other much longer, and as yet I have found none to remove (yes, I have the tick unscrewer - unscrew anti-clockwise) only thorns and grass seeds. Maybe I've been lucky so far, but it won't stop me checking them over every time!

anyhoo, I've now got #17 on my 'good to be back' list - BBC i-player. It did not exist when I left, and I have been very frustrated by being denied it from other countries - but it is a real joy to have now! It's catch-up time...
Old Oct 2nd 2011, 6:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by White-ishRose
anyhoo, I've now got #17 on my 'good to be back' list - BBC i-player. It did not exist when I left, and I have been very frustrated by being denied it from other countries - but it is a real joy to have now! It's catch-up time...

My plan here is to piece together a couple of older computers I have here (other than this one), add wireless, load down Expat Shield and output to my TV so that I can just watch Brit TV. Then I'm cancelling Cable .
Old Oct 2nd 2011, 7:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by DDL
Welcome back!

I, too, love the no air-con thing. Although they have just announced that this has been the coldest summer in 18 years, it certainly doesn't bother me - I love English weather.
Ha, ha, well we now have the hottest October on record so you may well be glad to have some a/c. Almost 30C in Malvern today and quite humid, officially hotter than Mexico.
Old Oct 2nd 2011, 7:26 pm
Spouse of Resident Alien

White-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by johnh009
Ha, ha, well we now have the hottest October on record so you may well be glad to have some a/c. Almost 30C in Malvern today and quite humid, officially hotter than Mexico.
great wasn't it? I am currently just a bit north of Malvern. Next week looks to be bad, though...
Old Oct 5th 2011, 3:47 pm
Forum Regular

Shazban has a brilliant futureShazban has a brilliant futureShazban has a brilliant futureShazban has a brilliant futureShazban has a brilliant futureShazban has a brilliant future

no.17 - cheese that tastes like cheese
no.18 - a real rasher of bacon with the rind on
no.19 - malted milk biscuits
no. 20 - selection boxes at Christmas (yes I will be buying one for myself this year)
no.21 - as much Turkish Delight as I can get my trotters on
no. 22 - people who know how to queue

I'm in London and every single day since I've been back (since 13th August), I've been amazed by how nice, kind and polite everyone is. From the bus drivers to the bank manager. It just amazes me. After being in the US for so many years I feel like a barbarian whenever I forget my manners. I became accustomed to not making eye contact or saying thank you or sorry and meaning it. I'm re-learning fast though
Old Oct 5th 2011, 4:23 pm
Spouse of Resident Alien

Originally Posted by Shazban
no. 20 - selection boxes at Christmas (yes I will be buying one for myself this year)

I'm in London and every single day since I've been back (since 13th August), I've been amazed by how nice, kind and polite everyone is. From the bus drivers to the bank manager. It just amazes me. After being in the US for so many years I feel like a barbarian whenever I forget my manners. I became accustomed to not making eye contact or saying thank you or sorry and meaning it. I'm re-learning fast though
...great isn't it!

I'm so aware of how much the Brits complain about everything - if only they knew what the grass is really like on the other side...!

I am still unemployed and homeless, but sooo loving being back here
Old Oct 5th 2011, 5:03 pm
moi
Forum Regular

moi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shazban

Isn't it wonderful...I'm still in NJ Yankeeland and just rang up a heat/ac company to see how much it would be for a maintenance on my furnace. Response goes like this...Him - Where are you? Me-About 20/25 minutes from you. Him -It's too far for me to come for $150 and I'm rebuilding my house after I got flooded so bye...click. WTF. I'm so glad you got flooded with that attitude and awful customer service you a-hole. Enjoy the politeness and friendliness as you sure don't get it around here.