The first week back

Old Sep 4th 2011, 4:11 pm
Spouse of Resident Alien

White-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud of
Default Re: The first week back

Originally Posted by alicat26
I'll second that!! It's annoying trying to work out the price plus 6% sales tax on items at the till - I never understood why they can't just add it in the the displayed price on the item/or on the shelf.

I'm glad to hear you're enjoying your time back so far, it sounds wonderful.

Can I suggest another couple of items to add to the list:- Proper cheese (no plastic crap)
Proper bread - with no sugar added!!
Proper chocolate

Yes, you're right about those three too, but I was lucky enough towork
On a farm where I made 'proper' cheese and there was a wood fired oven
where fabulous bread was baked, so I wasn' subjected to the rubbish peddled
in supermarkets!

( I only ever eat Lindt dark chocolate...!)
Old Sep 7th 2011, 6:50 pm
Spouse of Resident Alien

White-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud of

Ok so, strictly speaking it is no longer my first week, but continuing the thread, my #14 good thing about being back is: BEER!

I can't believe it has taken me so long to get my first pint down me, but as I have to drive everywhere and I am very strict about not drinking and driving, I have to get bottles to bring home which is not quite the same.

Anyway, today a double stout from the local brewery. Worth every minute of the wait...! Let the good times roll...
Old Sep 7th 2011, 8:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bigmattE
Apple crumble and custard.
Sticky Toffee Pudding and Custard.....bliss especially at the Hare & Hounds with great views to boot.....
Old Sep 8th 2011, 6:49 pm
Spouse of Resident Alien

Originally Posted by bigmattE
Apple crumble and custard.
I found some Bramleys this morning and whilst on a walk this afternoon found lots of big juicy blackberries. I spoke nicely to the chickens outside my window and had apple and blackberry crumble with freshest egg custard. Oh my! the good things just keep coming...
Old Sep 9th 2011, 3:59 am
Account Closed

Squirrel is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by White-ishRose
I found some Bramleys this morning and whilst on a walk this afternoon found lots of big juicy blackberries. I spoke nicely to the chickens outside my window and had apple and blackberry crumble with freshest egg custard. Oh my! the good things just keep coming...
Ooh I love blackberrying!
Old Sep 11th 2011, 8:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Walking down the lane where our rental is I looked at these bushes and there were tons of blackberries,blueberries on them...and then noticed lots of acorns on the grass.....I then looked around and for the first time saw Oak Tree's.....I must of been walking around with my eyes closed lol....for a townie like myself it's wonderful...not to mention we have 2 apple tree's and a cherry tree in our new rental's back garden.....lol....I am planning on home made cider (not my drink but hey hoe) and definately Crumble's are in the planning....especially with custard....never thought I would say this but role on Autumn and even Winter nothing like colder days for those types of "puddings"
Old Sep 15th 2011, 9:06 pm
Spouse of Resident Alien

Now I'm sure this happens in other parts of the world, but I don't much remember, maybe it is 'the green green grass of home' but my#15 delight is walking out onto cool wet dew-laden soft grass in the morning. It's such a wonderfully sensuous feeling between the toes... And while I'm here #16 has tobe the smell of British baby products - talc and lotion. They just don't smell right anywhere else!
Old Sep 15th 2011, 11:42 pm
Forum Regular

alicat26 is just really nicealicat26 is just really nicealicat26 is just really nicealicat26 is just really nicealicat26 is just really nicealicat26 is just really nicealicat26 is just really nicealicat26 is just really nice

All I can say is that the grass in England is much softer and shorter than grass over here in Florida. Here it's what I call "cartoon grass" very thick and crunchy and about 6 ins deep, and you really dont want to sit or lay on it for long because of all the ants and creepy crawlies lurking there.

It's funny - over here I see so many fertilized, sprinkled, mowed and manicured front lawns on which no one sets foot except the hired help i.e. the lawn guy! A green lawn is just for looks......don't touch!
Old Sep 18th 2011, 11:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

More items for the list:

Every time I go to the UK, I bring back a couple of large chunks of Italian parmigiano reggiano (one reason to believe in the EU ). It is horrendously expensive here, $50.00/kg and the only thing to top a pasta with (unless of course you want peccorino - equally expensive).

I also love being able to buy good wines for a song!

On a 4-month trek through Europe, I practically lived on capuccino and croissant for brekkie, wine, cheese and good bread for supper. My kind of food!
Old Sep 20th 2011, 4:24 pm
Spouse of Resident Alien

Here's #16 - (a doggy thing, so not relevant to most folk) it is wonderful knowing that after a good walk through woodland, when you stroke the dog and find a little lump, the worst it is likely to be is a seed of some kind or sticky burr; not a foul icky tic!!! Now that is such a good thing. Pulling tics out of a dog (or myself, even) makes my skin crawl...
Old Sep 21st 2011, 2:00 am
Forum Regular

Debbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud of

I thought ticks had to be unscrewed ? Our cat got them in his skin and the vet nurse used a plastic 'key' to unscrew them. How she knew whether they were clockwise or anti-clockwise was beyond me. Like you she found it gross to do this. I couldn't believe she had to steel herself to do this. I said that with all the blood, saliva, poo, puss and wee that pets can produce ticks would be the least of it. She said she just couldn't stand it. I was issued with a plastic 'key' to unscrew future ticks if I found them. Not because she couldn't stand it. It was easier for me to do it rather than fetch the cat to the vet every time a tick needed removed.
Old Sep 21st 2011, 7:01 pm
J.J
BE Enthusiast

J.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to all

Here's #16 - (a doggy thing, so not relevant to most folk) it is wonderful knowing that after a good walk through woodland, when you stroke the dog and find a little lump, the worst it is likely to be is a seed of some kind or sticky burr; not a foul icky tic!!! Now that is such a good thing. Pulling tics out of a dog (or myself, even) makes my skin crawl...
I wish it were true, tickless was an anticipated plus for us moving back too. However it has proven not true here in Norfolk, we have to use Frontline on our cat for he often comes home bearing ticks. Common carriers here are hedgehogs, birds, muntjac deer, rabbits, etc. Our local common land is posted with signs warning of ticks potential on pets and owners, particularly in Spring and Autumn.

Last edited by J.J; Sep 21st 2011 at 7:42 pm.
Old Sep 21st 2011, 7:25 pm
C'mon already

kazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by J.J
I wish it were true, tickless was an anticipated plus for us moving back too. However it has proven not true here, we have to use Frontline on our cat for he often comes home bearing ticks. Common carriers here are hedgehogs, birds, muntjac deer, rabbits, etc. Our local common land is posted with signs warning of ticks in Spring and Autumn, carried by wildlife.
Yep, down here in Cornwall they are a regular as well - my dog gets a good rub over after he has been out in the long grass or woodland, just to check for any 'extras' he has brought home with him!!
Old Sep 22nd 2011, 1:16 am
BE Enthusiast

NiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond repute

Is Lyme disease a problem there? Ticks are yucky but my main concern with them here is the Lyme disease that they carry, we are in CT and its very common here so I was hoping it would be less of a concern back home.
Old Sep 22nd 2011, 12:07 pm
J.J
BE Enthusiast

J.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to all

Originally Posted by NiHao
Is Lyme disease a problem there? Ticks are yucky but my main concern with them here is the Lyme disease that they carry, we are in CT and its very common here so I was hoping it would be less of a concern back home.
http://www.lymediseaseaction.org.uk/

From what I read it has been here for a long time and is increasing but with low frequency and low awareness.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.