Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Back Home
Reload this Page >

It feels like we never went...

It feels like we never went...

Old Sep 22nd 2009, 12:16 pm
Forum Regular

sim2point4 has much to be proud ofsim2point4 has much to be proud ofsim2point4 has much to be proud ofsim2point4 has much to be proud ofsim2point4 has much to be proud ofsim2point4 has much to be proud ofsim2point4 has much to be proud ofsim2point4 has much to be proud ofsim2point4 has much to be proud ofsim2point4 has much to be proud ofsim2point4 has much to be proud of
Default Re: It feels like we never went...

Cheers everyone for the replies
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 1:41 am
Forum Regular

Griff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ezzie
How old are the teens and what made them change?
Hi Ezzie

My eldest is 17yrs - she wants to return to the UK to go to Uni (international fees I know but worth it)

Youngest is 13yrs and decided she wants to be able to access Europe more easily.

having said that they both have noticed the loss of vacation time for myself and OH and appreciate how this move has not actually improved the whole family's work / life balance.

I am just glad they did!!
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 6:06 am
BE Forum Addict

ezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond repute

Brilliant...how much easier with kids who want to move. How long have you been away?
Our problem is that our kids have ALWAYS been away...them being true blue Aussies, born and bred here.

Originally Posted by Griff
Hi Ezzie

My eldest is 17yrs - she wants to return to the UK to go to Uni (international fees I know but worth it)

Youngest is 13yrs and decided she wants to be able to access Europe more easily.

having said that they both have noticed the loss of vacation time for myself and OH and appreciate how this move has not actually improved the whole family's work / life balance.

I am just glad they did!!
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 7:01 pm
Forum Regular

Ciderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud of

Seems to be a bit of an exodus from here in Maple Ridge then. Our house went on the market yesterday, got back from 11 days holiday in the UK at the weekend. Can't wait to get back for good.
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 9:31 pm
I can't Re-Member

HighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sim2point4
We have been back in England for nearly 4 months, we emigrated to Nova Scotia, Canada in August 2008, spent 9 months there, 5 of which we were planning our return, and now feel really happy and settled again.

When we were in Canada we quickly realised just what we had given up in England, hubby in the construction industry had a crap time with dinosaur companies, lack of health and safety practices, etc, etc, the plan was to apply for a plumbing lecturer job upon our return, well it took a couple of months to get that all important interview, but it was worth the wait as he got the job and is now enjoying a good salary, 50 days paid holiday and final salary teachers pension, wish he had done this a few years ago instead of waiting 2+ years for Canadian permanent residence, what a bloody waste of time, what a painfully cold, boring country ita was, probably safer than England of course, well we felt we would take our chances other than be bored stiff and freezin in Canada! Obviously we knew it would be cold, but did not realise exactly how much it would curtail our lives!

We also made the mistake of building a house that we had to sell, luckily we have recently sold it, but paid heavily for the mistake as the realtors took 5%, that's 5% overall, not on the first $100,000 as some would have you believe, we are now $20,000 worse off due to the Canadian real estate set up, and you can't sell it yourself, it's almost impossible as that is the way it is done and probably will never change.

Anyway, Canada was not for us for so many reasons, and I would just like to say for anyone coming back, don't be scared of people's reactions, most will say they admire you for taking a chance and doing something different, and if you attitude is right and you accept what England has to offer, warts and all, you will be okay, cos believe me other countries have not got it as good in lots of ways.

We have got our lives back, yes we are minus thousands of pounds, but we don't care, cos we are truly happy to be back, and appreciate everything so much more!
I love reading posts like this. It makes me feel much better after hearing all the negative stuff.
Money definitely isn't everything. And I have lost more than enough of it for one reason or another over the years. It is really good to hear how happy you are. I am feeling really, really homesick again now.
Old Sep 26th 2009, 3:50 pm
Forum Regular

Julie_p is a glorious beacon of lightJulie_p is a glorious beacon of lightJulie_p is a glorious beacon of lightJulie_p is a glorious beacon of lightJulie_p is a glorious beacon of lightJulie_p is a glorious beacon of lightJulie_p is a glorious beacon of lightJulie_p is a glorious beacon of lightJulie_p is a glorious beacon of lightJulie_p is a glorious beacon of lightJulie_p is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Sim, i remember comparing notes with you when we both went to canada, i went to calgary, we are now back In Hornsea East Yorks coast and couldnt be happier kids are happy my parents are down the road its great.
We are happy we tried it though as now at least we know and wont ever say 'what if', but sometimes you dont realise what you had was great till its gone...well thats how we feel anyway, will probably go visit Banff again someday as loved the place but Englands home.

Julie xx
Old Sep 29th 2009, 2:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

MartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud of

Hi folks,
Just thought some of you returnees and hopeful/yearning-for returnees might be interested in a thread I started a little while ago. I'm just about at the time-limit point of getting my medical and paying my final fee and am having serious collywobbles about the whole thing. I can't know until I try... but I have very strong feelings that it won't work out anyway. Any thoughts and perspectives would be gratefully received

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=608297
Old Sep 30th 2009, 12:59 am
Forum Regular

Griff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ezzie
Brilliant...how much easier with kids who want to move. How long have you been away?
Our problem is that our kids have ALWAYS been away...them being true blue Aussies, born and bred here.
Hi Ezzie

We have been here since Jan 2007.

Ciderman - good luck with your sale - ours too is on the market we are a townhouse, how long have you been in MR?

Elaine
Old Sep 30th 2009, 3:16 am
Forum Regular

bettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud of

Great post sim2point4

we too are heading back - next year. House has just gone on the market here. I have given it 2 1/2 years and it is long enough.
We looked into returning in March this year but my teenagers were so upset I couldn't do it. Now 2 months ago it was them that came to us and said they were ready to go back!!
I can't wait and posts like yours and JonFrank's keep me going as we go through the process in reverse!

Thanks
Elaine
Hi Elaine

We have also been here 2 1/2 years and we are just down the road from you (Port Moody). We are in the process of trying to plan for our move back next year probably next summer I would like the kids to finish the school year.
I will be watching out for yours and Cidermans posts with interest especially in regards to selling your house.
I'm slightly addicted to MBTTUK now and can't even bear to read the Canada forum especially the Canniversaries as it reminds me too much of how we were when we first arrived.
Good luck to all making the difficult choice to return and to those who have made it to the other side with no regrets keep posting as its helping to keep me sane

Diane
Old Sep 30th 2009, 3:25 am
Just Joined

debz12 is an unknown quantity at this point

Great post sim2point4

we too are heading back - next year. House has just gone on the market here. I have given it 2 1/2 years and it is long enough.
We looked into returning in March this year but my teenagers were so upset I couldn't do it. Now 2 months ago it was them that came to us and said they were ready to go back!!
I can't wait and posts like yours and JonFrank's keep me going as we go through the process in reverse!

Thanks
Elaine
Hi there
We have been here in NZ for 11 years and have recently been thinking about Canada again ( We were originally going to apply for Canada 12 years ago but didn't have enough points so came to NZ instead, unfortunately it has always seemed like second best!)
We were looking at the Maple Ridge area, what is your honest opinion on the area, pros and cons and is the real estate as expensive as people on BE have said?
Thanks
Old Sep 30th 2009, 4:37 pm
Forum Regular

Ciderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud of

Hi Ezzie

We have been here since Jan 2007.

Ciderman - good luck with your sale - ours too is on the market we are a townhouse, how long have you been in MR?

Elaine
Moved here in August 2006 (from Alberta) to the Silver Valley area- top of 232nd Street. Lived in the first house for just over 2 years then moved to another new house in the Silver Valley area (Portrait Homes development) in April 2008. House went on the market last Friday and we've had four viewings so far....they reckon an average of 10 before you get an offer....
Old Sep 30th 2009, 4:44 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by debz12
Hi there
We have been here in NZ for 11 years and have recently been thinking about Canada again ( We were originally going to apply for Canada 12 years ago but didn't have enough points so came to NZ instead, unfortunately it has always seemed like second best!)
We were looking at the Maple Ridge area, what is your honest opinion on the area, pros and cons and is the real estate as expensive as people on BE have said?
Thanks
Have a look at this thread here comparing Maple Ridge with Mission as a few of us living in both towns have posted our thoughts:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=626606

Think it's titled Mission or Maple Ridge, created by Easy Squeezy.

Last edited by Ciderman; Sep 30th 2009 at 4:45 pm. Reason: Additional info added
Old Sep 30th 2009, 6:46 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bettyboo67
Hi Elaine

We have also been here 2 1/2 years and we are just down the road from you (Port Moody). We are in the process of trying to plan for our move back next year probably next summer I would like the kids to finish the school year.
I will be watching out for yours and Cidermans posts with interest especially in regards to selling your house.
I'm slightly addicted to MBTTUK now and can't even bear to read the Canada forum especially the Canniversaries as it reminds me too much of how we were when we first arrived.
Good luck to all making the difficult choice to return and to those who have made it to the other side with no regrets keep posting as its helping to keep me sane

Diane
BBC Canada and UK radio- either local or the BBC ones- helps prevent the madness setting in I've found. Also a visit to the local English shop helps- Tunnocks, Curly Wirly....ah...bliss!
Old Oct 4th 2009, 5:01 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by debz12
Hi there
Thanks
Hi debz12

I do actually like Maple Ridge - yes it has it's downsides like everywhere but I LOVE it's access to the absolutely gorgeous countryside(Known locally as the dikes). This is one aspect I will miss when we return (and why I am looking to return back to the Peak District area). we spend time each day on the dikes - either running (we have trained for 2 marathons down there) or walking the dog and it is beautiful.
Schools are ok - much more relaxed than the UK education system (and not as good therefore - in mine and my kids opinion - which I am entitled to as a parent before I get slated for the comment) My eldest (who is very studious) is actually frustrated by the laidback system here and she wants to return to do her F.E in UK

My return is all about me (us) not fitting in here rather than a problem with Canada
I cannot slate Canada, I recognise and respect the subtle differences in culture etc and despite time I have decided that I do not wish to stay here hence our planned return sooner rather than later...
Old Oct 13th 2009, 9:20 am
Forum Regular

Heavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by janeyk
We are in NZ and can echo every word you say we sold our house this week after 70 viewings so now have to find temp accom until Jan the dog passed frst time his rabies jab which is great so thats on track yes we are thousands down if you also add in shipping flights for us and pet etc but we have lerned some valuable lessons we have been here 1 year today and the last 2 months activily planning our return! look forward to a decent meal in an English pub and a better standard of driving!
Hi
We too wnt to NZ in 2005 came home in 2007 with the family, myself, hubby, 4 kids , 2 dogs and cat, we have no regrets. We r having to start from scratch on buying a house but we r happy to be home.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.