British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Back Home (https://britishexpats.com/forum/back-home-158/)
-   -   Back In UK A Year From Aus - Choppy Waters! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/back-home-158/back-uk-year-aus-choppy-waters-868741/)

robin1234 Apr 14th 2016 7:37 am

Re: Back In UK A Year From Aus - Choppy Waters!

Originally Posted by Snap Shot (Post 11922382)
:goodpost: Because it was referring to this post from Tr1boy:

We won't be moving back with any delusions of a 'better life', we are old hands at Oz living, we're just moving back because that's where it suits us to be for the next chapter of our lives, not better or worse just different.

This is right, of course. I know what Britain is like warts & all. Some pretty frustrating things, and a goodly number of bitter, passive aggressive, self centred people. (Not that there aren't bad people in the U.S. and probably everywhere else.)

The mean people in the UK seem to be proud of their meanness and not try to hide it..

However, I'd rather live in Britain!

Perth Apr 14th 2016 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by vikingsail (Post 11922323)
I have followed your story avidly for a few years now and think that this is a great piece of advice for anyone considering a move anywhere.

I agree! It's our thinking too.

Tr1boy Apr 14th 2016 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by vikingsail (Post 11922323)
I have followed your story avidly for a few years now and think that this is a great piece of advice for anyone considering a move anywhere.

Thanks. I'm not sure our story is worth following, although I've had three separate people say to me 'You've lived an amazing life' (I'm guessing they don't get out much :lol: )

Snap Shot Apr 14th 2016 8:19 pm

I've been to the Bel and Dragon in Godalming, it was brilliant ! I like Windsor too.

:focus:

Sparkleydiva Apr 15th 2016 6:42 am

Originally Posted by Snap Shot (Post 11923222)
I've been to the Bel and Dragon in Godalming, it was brilliant ! I like Windsor too.

:focus:

I will look out for this next month as have 2 nights in windsor while i wait for my fur babies to arrive

Snap Shot Apr 15th 2016 7:20 am

It can be pricey is my only criticism. The Bel and the Dragon in Godalming is a converted church ! Hope it's as good as I remember.

Sparkleydiva Apr 15th 2016 7:23 am

Originally Posted by Snap Shot (Post 11923592)
It can be pricey is my only criticism. The Bel and the Dragon in Godalming is a converted church ! Hope it's as good as I remember.

Will give it a go

Tr1boy Apr 15th 2016 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by Snap Shot (Post 11923592)

Haven't been in there since mid 2013 but they went through a major refurb in 2012 and changed it but kept the character. They have lots of things going on at night, local musos etc.

I think we only had about two or three full evening meals in there, mostly we'd get a coffee and snack on the way home from town. It's an amazing building to relax in though. :thumbup:

Snap Shot Apr 16th 2016 1:44 am

Originally Posted by Tr1boy (Post 11923988)
Haven't been in there since mid 2013 but they went through a major refurb in 2012 and changed it but kept the character. They have lots of things going on at night, local musos etc.

I think we only had about two or three full evening meals in there, mostly we'd get a coffee and snack on the way home from town. It's an amazing building to relax in though. :thumbup:

Nice

TheEmperorIsNaked Apr 20th 2016 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by robin1234 (Post 11922630)
This is right, of course. I know what Britain is like warts & all. Some pretty frustrating things, and a goodly number of bitter, passive aggressive, self centred people. (Not that there aren't bad people in the U.S. and probably everywhere else.)

The mean people in the UK seem to be proud of their meanness and not try to hide it..

However, I'd rather live in Britain!

Ditto! It has been so damned hard for just the reasons you describe, but your last line nails it!