Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Back Home
Reload this Page >

Back two years - where did the time go?!!!

Back two years - where did the time go?!!!

Old May 30th 2015, 8:09 pm
Practical Paramedic

MissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Back two years - where did the time go?!!!

Originally Posted by vikingsail
Wow MBetty have been following your news since you came back on in this thread. 2 years! That brings up some negatives for me, on the plus side now at 60 months from my original 84

Please keep posting your story is inspiring and I feel sure adventures await in Alaska!
Hello there, yes I'm shocked it's gone so fast as well!

I will post as much as I can as I'm sure I'll have loads to report back on! I didn't post over the last few months as I was fed up with the winter, hated my call centre job plus driving up and down to the Midlands all the time. I felt I would have only posted completely negative things and been a proper moaning Minnie!

Still I've learned that the bad times pass and things settle down again. I still think I made the right decision two years down the line, when I have bad days now I have my family for support and that is the thing that has really made a difference for me.

Keep counting down!
Old May 31st 2015, 6:13 pm
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MissBetty
I rented the whole time I was in Oz, there was a point where I sold my UK place and then started looking at houses over there. The sale fell through, I took it as a sign and held onto it - SO glad I did as I love my flat and I'm delighted to be back here in my lovely home!

Work has gone flat again but I'm going to be paid for next week anyways as the client broke the T & C's of their contract by not giving 2 weeks notice. First time ever in my life I've been given something for nothing - right result lol!

Well it's Sat night, glass of wine and movie night me thinks

Everything happens for a reason! I wish we hadn't bought in Canada, but hey ho we can't change things now.

Good for you being paid, you were let down so good on ya

Hello there, yes I'm shocked it's gone so fast as well!

I will post as much as I can as I'm sure I'll have loads to report back on! I didn't post over the last few months as I was fed up with the winter, hated my call centre job plus driving up and down to the Midlands all the time. I felt I would have only posted completely negative things and been a proper moaning Minnie!

Still I've learned that the bad times pass and things settle down again. I still think I made the right decision two years down the line, when I have bad days now I have my family for support and that is the thing that has really made a difference for me.

Keep counting down!
Too be honest, I can definitely deal with winters here. After 6 long, flecking freezing, white winters in Canada, I prefer the short, mild, green winters of the UK.
But, if you are feeling down, you should definitely come on here and moan, nobody minds
Old May 31st 2015, 7:23 pm
Practical Paramedic

MissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorry1
Everything happens for a reason! I wish we hadn't bought in Canada, but hey ho we can't change things now.

Good for you being paid, you were let down so good on ya

Too be honest, I can definitely deal with winters here. After 6 long, flecking freezing, white winters in Canada, I prefer the short, mild, green winters of the UK.
But, if you are feeling down, you should definitely come on here and moan, nobody minds
Lol! I think I used up my 'moaning allowance' when I was in Australia, but you're right, this is the place to do it as I've always found most people on here to be very supportive and kind.

I've never been to Canada but a good friend of mine lives in Canmore (she's Canadian, hubby is Australian) and I'd really like to go visit them - in the summer!!!

I don't like the cold really and this was my first UK winter in years as I was away in India last year for work. It was just so miserable, grey skies, drizzly rain and everyone was wearing dark colours, it really got me down tbh. Now the lighter evenings are here and we have had some lovely sunny days I feel much perkier! I didn't mind the heat in Perth but I totally struggled with the humidity of Queensland so I think the answer for me is to plan to be out of the UK in January and go somewhere warm, then I can have the best of both worlds!

Either way it's a small price to pay for being home again and having my sanity back!!!!
Old May 31st 2015, 8:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

aries has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond repute

Yes MissBetty, miserable grey skies, drizzling rain and dark clothes are all so depressing, it feels like a cemetery here in the winter compared with Oz.
Old May 31st 2015, 8:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aries
Yes MissBetty, miserable grey skies, drizzling rain and dark clothes are all so depressing, it feels like a cemetery here in the winter compared with Oz.
I must be the only one on the planet that loves grey skies! After 30 years in Florida, the last thing I want to see is the sun rising every morning
Old May 31st 2015, 9:23 pm
Practical Paramedic

Originally Posted by aries
Yes I know what you mean! I was fine in December, it was all quite cheery in the run up to Xmas but once Jan/Feb came around I really felt my mood slump quite dramatically, I think I'd forgotten how it used to make me feel.

I remember being in my hotel room in Wolverhampton last January (my uni week), looking out the window at my car covered in ice, it was so grey and horrible, the ground was all slushy and it was absolutely freezing plus I had another horrible chest infection. I could have quite happily packed my bags and left on the next plane that day!

Still it's getting better now, we've had quite a few sunny days down here on the coast and I like walking into town along the seafront - I always feel heaps better this time of year
Old Jun 1st 2015, 10:50 am
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

Lol! I think I used up my 'moaning allowance' when I was in Australia, but you're right, this is the place to do it as I've always found most people on here to be very supportive and kind.

I've never been to Canada but a good friend of mine lives in Canmore (she's Canadian, hubby is Australian) and I'd really like to go visit them - in the summer!!!

I don't like the cold really and this was my first UK winter in years as I was away in India last year for work. It was just so miserable, grey skies, drizzly rain and everyone was wearing dark colours, it really got me down tbh. Now the lighter evenings are here and we have had some lovely sunny days I feel much perkier! I didn't mind the heat in Perth but I totally struggled with the humidity of Queensland so I think the answer for me is to plan to be out of the UK in January and go somewhere warm, then I can have the best of both worlds!

Either way it's a small price to pay for being home again and having my sanity back!!!!
Yeah, I guess the UK winter is tough if you're use to the sunny blue skies of Oz. For me, it wasn't too bad and by February the daffodils & bluebells are already blooming.
In Canada, we didn't even see the hint of a flower until May. Depressed doesn't even come close to how I felt.

November/ December is always busy with xmas on the way and then it's kind of a big let down come January. It is always good to have a plan for Feb/Mar if possible. A week or 2 in the sun can do wonders for your state of mind.
Old Jun 5th 2015, 6:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

NiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond repute

MissBetty!!

OMG the adventures you get up to! I am so glad that things seem to be working out well after all that you have been through.

I really admire the way that, if things aren't working out, you just get on and change them! I reckon that is something you have really learned from the bad time you were having with the job in Australia. Life is too short to settle if you have the ability to do something better.

Lorry1, sounds like things are going well for you too

Great update!
Old Jun 6th 2015, 7:43 pm
Practical Paramedic

Originally Posted by NiHao
MissBetty!!

OMG the adventures you get up to! I am so glad that things seem to be working out well after all that you have been through.

I really admire the way that, if things aren't working out, you just get on and change them! I reckon that is something you have really learned from the bad time you were having with the job in Australia. Life is too short to settle if you have the ability to do something better.

Lorry1, sounds like things are going well for you too

Great update!
Hello and thank you! You know I think you're right there and what a nice thing to say!

Sometimes I think, "Is it me? Do I just not fit in anywhere?!" Then I look at the way some people treat me (and others) and I think er no! Of course I'm not perfect but I'm not mean and I'm not a bully and I think that after all I went through in Oz I just will not tolerate people being unkind or unfair to me anymore.

Funny thing was I spoke to Gay Boss (remember him?!) the other day. We do e-mail but it was the first time we spoke for two years and we were on Viber (fab app!) for two and a half hours, was so good to hear his voice, we laughed, talked and cried so much!!! He was telling me that things are still the same in Loony Town and now he and the guy who took over from me are being really bullied by the same evil people who made my life a living hell when I was there. Spreading lies about him, criticizing his patient care behind his back, he said he is so fed up he has considered moving away too as he is so over it.

I felt so bad for him, I was ranting about them and how nasty they are! It made me realise though that it wasn't just me, they will do it to anyone as they're just a bunch of bitter pathetic individuals who love to try and make anyone feel bad.

Gay Boss is a senior officer though so he has a bit more sway than I did, mind you he is so naughty as he said he took great pleasure in telling the ring leader that I'd got a job on the cruise liners and I was SO happy lol! He said her face was a picture and he had a right chuckle when he walked away - bless him!!!

Personally I'd like to thank them all, thanks to them and their bullying I DID move away. Now I'm in a far better place than I was two years ago plus I got to spend a last precious year with my Dad. Just goes to show there's a reason certain things happen even though at the time you just can't see it!

Last edited by MissBetty; Jun 6th 2015 at 8:03 pm.
Old Jun 23rd 2015, 4:48 am
BE Enthusiast

vikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond repute

MissBetty you are definitely in my limited knowledge better off where you are. Its great to read your story as it develops. In addition to not wanting be here (59 months now! though I don't think I will make it - voluntary action will definitely be required soon) I am too surrounded by fools and trolls. I could almost take your last post and insert my own situation. So these posts and short replies from me are a great relief. I still smile mind you and thank you for introducing me to
several years ago
Old Jul 7th 2015, 12:28 pm
Practical Paramedic

Originally Posted by vikingsail
MissBetty you are definitely in my limited knowledge better off where you are. Its great to read your story as it develops. In addition to not wanting be here (59 months now! though I don't think I will make it - voluntary action will definitely be required soon) I am too surrounded by fools and trolls. I could almost take your last post and insert my own situation. So these posts and short replies from me are a great relief. I still smile mind you and thank you for introducing me to Ambrosia several years ago
Ha ha ha! Yes of course, ooohhhhh arrrrrrrr!

Mind you after just getting back from the most amazing weekend in Ireland (my Dad was from Galway) bar hopping in Dublin, chatting to the locals (THE most friendliest chattiest people I've ever had the pleasure of meeting), seeing the amazing house prices - 3 bed house with a balcony overlooking a canal for £50,000 - plus they're recruiting paramedics in Ireland I feel another move may be on the cards. Watch this space...........
Old Jul 7th 2015, 4:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

MissBetty, I think about Ireland as a possible move as well. I love Dublin.. Watch this space!
Old Jul 8th 2015, 12:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

OK Miss Betty and fulwood, I'll join in! It's a toss-up right now between Ireland and the UK when we leave next year! We have been advised by friends to go to Galway. Is that where you are seeing those house prices, Miss Betty? Quite tempting, although we will undoubtedly rent until we know where we want to settle for good.

~Monique
Old Jul 8th 2015, 12:41 am
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I am surprised by house prices. Never thought I'd be able to afford one. Perth I will do likewise and rent. Wish I could leave now but have to be patient..
Old Jul 8th 2015, 1:38 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Ha ha ha! Yes of course, ooohhhhh arrrrrrrr!

Mind you after just getting back from the most amazing weekend in Ireland (my Dad was from Galway) bar hopping in Dublin, chatting to the locals (THE most friendliest chattiest people I've ever had the pleasure of meeting), seeing the amazing house prices - 3 bed house with a balcony overlooking a canal for £50,000 - plus they're recruiting paramedics in Ireland I feel another move may be on the cards. Watch this space...........

Coo, nice one Miss B. I only envy your successes of course ! Sounds fantastic. We were in holiday in Ireland five or so years ago. Started in Dublin, drove around the country until we returned to Dublin handed the rental car back and saw Dublin on foot.

It was great.

I sometimes wonder if Eire or N.I. would be a viable option to live but, in truth, there will more job opportunities for both of us on mainland Britain.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.