Back two months.

Old Sep 24th 2014, 10:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Back two months.

You would think with all the soft sodium water there would be more heart disease in soft areas.
Old Sep 25th 2014, 7:36 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Wikipedia's entry on hard water quotes a report from the World Health Organisation that had reviewed the evidence and found the data was too weak to recommend hardening water to prevent heart disease. That report was in 2003, however, so there may be more up to date research.

This is very interesting. From the same Wikipedia piece I discovered that most water in England is very hard and areas of the country I, as a Londoner used to very hard water, think of as soft are actually just less hard than London.
Old Sep 26th 2014, 1:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Bnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm thinking the south in general might have hard water. I'm an Essex gal (not that kind) born and bread our water was hard.
.....stopped mid post to check. Although they say it's regulated the opinion is that there is a north and south divide. BBC News - Is there really a north-south water taste divide?

The things you learn...
Old Sep 26th 2014, 7:39 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

We do have soft water in Devon. I had to learn to put the minimum amount of detergent in the washing machine, or it overfoams.
Old Sep 27th 2014, 2:13 am
BE Enthusiast

You got lucky! Yet another criteria to add to my location search. Hopefully I will get lucky too, I have terribly sensitive skin.
Old Sep 27th 2014, 10:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

At least some of you can get drinking water from a tap! I've been in Arizona for 26 years (shoot me now!) and NEVER been able to drink tap water. Had to pay 25 cents a gallon or now have a posh refrigerator where we can get water/ice that has reverse osmosis..
Old Sep 28th 2014, 3:18 am
BE Enthusiast

I had no idea Arizona was that bad. I will have to do some research on that too. Water is a basic human need and having to buy it per gallon is ridiculous. Water here in Georgia is pretty good although I still use a filter.
Old Sep 28th 2014, 3:50 am
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

Bnet36 - yes it's awful tap water.. can taste all kinds of crappy things that don't even want to know what is in it..
Old Sep 29th 2014, 5:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Fulwood - I guess it's one thing that Georgia does right.
Old Sep 29th 2014, 10:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Well it would take me ages to think of one thing AZ has done right lately I have friends in rural GA but not seem them in decade or two. Spent time drinking moonshine (God awful stuff) in the back woods of Luthersville GA.. Good times..
Old Oct 1st 2014, 1:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Don't get me started Fulwood, I am trying to suppress my negativity these days
Old Oct 20th 2014, 6:42 pm
Practical Paramedic

MissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond repute

Fab update, made me chuckle about the squirrel! Welcome home, you do sound very happy and I wish you all the best
Old Nov 4th 2014, 9:31 pm
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MissBetty
Fab update, made me chuckle about the squirrel! Welcome home, you do sound very happy and I wish you all the best
Thanks Miss B... likewise, I'm glad you're enjoying being back.

We are semi-settled in a six month rental now which comes with resident squirrels, jays, blue tits and even a badger.

I am really enjoying not being too hot though have found it very easy to be a bit of a hermit when the weather is cold and wet.

Some of the things I am loving are strangers who are happy to chat for no other reason than to chat, village jumble sales, a general and accepted eccentricity, pet shops which sell all sorts of pets, there always being something to do and use of a boiler with instant and continuous hot water. Bliss.

I am also building a small nature display from things I collect out walking which so far includes conkers, an acorn, hazelnut, wild rose petals and rosehips, sheaves of wheat and some dried oak leaves. (Maybe a bit weird but I love nature and I think they look pretty together on an old oak sideboard I picked up at a charity shop.)

I love the madness/tradition of things like bonfire night... having people marching down a cold dark street carrying torches to a massive community fire, being able to go into a shop and buy fireworks if I want... or just a bottle of cider to go with a pack of scampi from the supermarket... and I appreciate the postman who walks down the drive to put the mail through the door six days a week, rain, hail or shine.

Of course there are annoying things too. We don't have a clothes dryer yet and there is a constant stream of wet clothes around the house. People always ask why you would live in England rather than Australia (though I find the mention of spiders and 40 degree days seems to end that debate), and some bus drivers should honestly not be on the road.

Also, the cost of living is undoubtedly higher here, in my opinion. Not just petrol and steak... but it seems you pay for everything. My pet peeve is pay and display parking to go to a supermarket. Also, there doesn't seem to be so much cheap crap available here which is not always a good thing. Coathangers, gift wrap etc. all more expensive than I would pay in Australia.

Still, mustn't grumble...
Old Nov 4th 2014, 10:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brissybee

We are semi-settled in a six month rental now which comes with resident squirrels, jays, blue tits and even a badger.

I am really enjoying not being too hot though have found it very easy to be a bit of a hermit when the weather is cold and wet.

Some of the things I am loving are strangers who are happy to chat for no other reason than to chat, village jumble sales, a general and accepted eccentricity, pet shops which sell all sorts of pets, there always being something to do and use of a boiler with instant and continuous hot water. Bliss.

I am also building a small nature display from things I collect out walking which so far includes conkers, an acorn, hazelnut, wild rose petals and rosehips, sheaves of wheat and some dried oak leaves. (Maybe a bit weird but I love nature and I think they look pretty together on an old oak sideboard I picked up at a charity shop.)

I love the madness/tradition of things like bonfire night... having people marching down a cold dark street carrying torches to a massive community fire, being able to go into a shop and buy fireworks if I want... or just a bottle of cider to go with a pack of scampi from the supermarket... and I appreciate the postman who walks down the drive to put the mail through the door six days a week, rain, hail or shine.

Of course there are annoying things too. We don't have a clothes dryer yet and there is a constant stream of wet clothes around the house. People always ask why you would live in England rather than Australia (though I find the mention of spiders and 40 degree days seems to end that debate), and some bus drivers should honestly not be on the road.

Also, the cost of living is undoubtedly higher here, in my opinion. Not just petrol and steak... but it seems you pay for everything. My pet peeve is pay and display parking to go to a supermarket. Also, there doesn't seem to be so much cheap crap available here which is not always a good thing. Coathangers, gift wrap etc. all more expensive than I would pay in Australia.

Brisbane has got hot early this year, not the last 2 days but mid 30's last week and low 30's again from tomorrow. It simply gives you that dreaded feeling of summer hasnt even started yet.

Its light now at 4.15, do you remember that? awful.

Most of the shops are decorated now, the same decs they bring out each year I still feel like what the hell are they doing up when its heading for 38C.

Brisbane is hosting the G20, road chaos is predicted. Melb cup yesterday, 2 horses died Seems crazy australias biggest event is so cruel, yet people still love it. ( many dont though big fuss this time ) .

You aint missin' much
Old Nov 5th 2014, 6:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brissybee

We too are in a six month rental - to March - and I'm a little apprehensive as to what we will be able to find or get when we have to take out our next lease as we are 'taken' by our present locale in so many ways - access to shops/restaurants (the latter rarely needed the days), walks, the sea, the station, ......

Critical to our overall success in budgeting for this move was the decision NOT to have a car so that we only pay for transport on rare occasions and don't have to worry about the security of our vehicle. This does mean that we grocery shop every day but then we are out of the house pretty often for one reason or another in spite of the now (Oh Boy!) cold days even in this milder area of South Dorset.

We took Editha's tip ( Editha) and bought a Lakeland airer and use that to dry what can't get dried outside, but it is a negative not to have the use of a dryer to knock out the kinks in washing.

It certainly hadn't occurred to me how big a deal Halloween was in the UK and the piles of candy in the supermarket and ghouls still in house windows definitely bear testament to it. November 5th (today ) being midweek, it has turned out that EVERY day since last Saturday has come with fireworks in some fashion.

I'm not sure if you settled in Kent - guess you did from previous mention of Knole Park - but it has turned out to be very convenient for us to train it to Kent, when necessary to go to Edenbridge and Tunbridge Wells, via the South Coast run through Chichester which is miles cheaper than routing through London and only a little longer in terms of overall journey time. I note that this bargain routing is available in reverse. There is a fare - whoops! fair bit of discussion in the media about how to 'play' the online rail ticketing 'racket' to squeeze out the best value fares.

Last edited by Pistolpete2; Nov 5th 2014 at 6:46 am. Reason: fare - whoops! fair

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.