Back two months.

Old Sep 6th 2014, 1:36 am
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Back two months.

Time seems to have flown since we arrived back... and many things that initially seemed unusual are gradually becoming the norm.

My initial observations (after a long time living in Australia and a few trips back) are that English motorists drive fast (though they're very polite), warm water comes out of taps when you go to a public loo (this is good), the range of produce in supermarkets is wonderful, petrol is expensive, cars are cheap, parking is expensive and a pain in the butt, escalators to get to and from the tube are scary high (for a height phobe), English strawberries and raspberries do taste good - actually, great, most people in villages seem very friendly, wild baby bunnies are very cute, trains are very expensive, Summer can be really hot (but not hideous hot thank goodness), it's great being able to get from one place to another quite quickly because it's relatively close, take-away food is hideously expensive, boot sales are an excellent way to spend part of a sunny day on a green, you really can have a day trip to France, there is a white stag in Sevenoaks which has undermined a lifetime of deer devotion, having a red squirrel run up your arm is cute, down your back - not so much and there is a point in life where you can walk past a packet of Revels on special and not buy it.

We have been in temporary accommodation since we arrived and will be getting into our own place soon which I'm really looking forward to. My husband has a job lined up, we have a car and bank accounts and it's nice not having to worry about being bitten by spiders and snakes. (Yes, I did.)

I like it, husband likes most of it, 18 year old is homesick and missing friends. I'm hoping time will overcome this... but only time will tell. I'm asking that judgement is reserved until after Winter has passed.

The things I miss in Australia? Regular contact with the few remaining family members there, the six o'clock news , Bio Zet laundry powder, Vanish degreaser, Canesten laundry rinse, my top loader, a rotary clothes line (the UK is laundry deprived in my opinion and if anyone can tell me about a laundry detergent which doesn't stink of cheap perfume I'll be delighted). I also miss Continental chicken rice, Eta barbeque sauce and Masterfoods horseradish. Also sorbolene soap. And I think that's about it.

We feel life here isn't that much different to life in Australia... but to state the obvious, there are differences which make a difference.

There is a lot to be said for the same s... different bucket theory... but it's good to be able to at least choose your bucket.

Am I glad to be here? So far, yes.
Old Sep 6th 2014, 4:43 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Back two months.

Originally Posted by brissybee
Time seems to have flown since we arrived back... and many things that initially seemed unusual are gradually becoming the norm.

My initial observations (after a long time living in Australia and a few trips back) are that English motorists drive fast (though they're very polite), warm water comes out of taps when you go to a public loo (this is good), the range of produce in supermarkets is wonderful, petrol is expensive, cars are cheap, parking is expensive and a pain in the butt, escalators to get to and from the tube are scary high (for a height phobe), English strawberries and raspberries do taste good - actually, great, most people in villages seem very friendly, wild baby bunnies are very cute, trains are very expensive, Summer can be really hot (but not hideous hot thank goodness), it's great being able to get from one place to another quite quickly because it's relatively close, take-away food is hideously expensive, boot sales are an excellent way to spend part of a sunny day on a green, you really can have a day trip to France, there is a white stag in Sevenoaks which has undermined a lifetime of deer devotion, having a red squirrel run up your arm is cute, down your back - not so much and there is a point in life where you can walk past a packet of Revels on special and not buy it.

We have been in temporary accommodation since we arrived and will be getting into our own place soon which I'm really looking forward to. My husband has a job lined up, we have a car and bank accounts and it's nice not having to worry about being bitten by spiders and snakes. (Yes, I did.)

I like it, husband likes most of it, 18 year old is homesick and missing friends. I'm hoping time will overcome this... but only time will tell. I'm asking that judgement is reserved until after Winter has passed.

The things I miss in Australia? Regular contact with the few remaining family members there, the six o'clock news , Bio Zet laundry powder, Vanish degreaser, Canesten laundry rinse, my top loader, a rotary clothes line (the UK is laundry deprived in my opinion and if anyone can tell me about a laundry detergent which doesn't stink of cheap perfume I'll be delighted). I also miss Continental chicken rice, Eta barbeque sauce and Masterfoods horseradish. Also sorbolene soap. And I think that's about it.

We feel life here isn't that much different to life in Australia... but to state the obvious, there are differences which make a difference.

There is a lot to be said for the same s... different bucket theory... but it's good to be able to at least choose your bucket.

Sounds good

Laundry stuff - try Surcare, its hypoallergenic laundry liquid

Sainsbury's horseradish is good if you want tasty stuff!
Old Sep 6th 2014, 8:10 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

I miss my top loader washing machine too Always managed to find a sock on the stairs that fell off the pile and is locked out of the wash.
Old Sep 6th 2014, 8:25 pm
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I've already had one thing left out of the front loader situations...

Will definitely try Surcare and Sainsburys Horseradish (though not together) thank-you Polly.

Btw, am also missing Betadine. Can anyone please advise if it can still be bought in the UK... and if so where?

Last edited by brissybee; Sep 6th 2014 at 8:28 pm.
Old Sep 7th 2014, 4:37 am
BE Enthusiast

morayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond repute

Glad you are liking it so far. Hope after some time your teen adjusts and thanks for the update. I love reading updates since I plan on moving home in the future.
Old Sep 7th 2014, 5:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Gosh, I missed your departure and arrival, so, Welcome Home!

Betadine - one of my DH's "must haves" - nope, best we've been able to find is bog standard iodine and that was like hens teeth but one of our smaller Lloyds pharmacies had it. The practice nurses have stuff called Inadeen (I think). We get iodine wipes on line.

Laundry - you can get rotary clothes lines but the flimsy little fold up ones. You get used to them eventually. The Ecover range of laundry detergents are pretty good.

So glad to hear that the job front is sorted! Hope things continue to go well!
Old Sep 7th 2014, 8:18 am
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi brissybee, Welcome home!

I'm glad that for the most part you are enjoying it and settling back well. I think its funny you miss so much from OZ. I didn't miss a thing from Canada after my return, and even now, a year later, I can honestly say I do not miss a thing

I have to agree with most of your observations though... very good!
Old Sep 8th 2014, 11:24 am
Not actually a squirrel

Originally Posted by quoll
Gosh, I missed your departure and arrival, so, Welcome Home!

Betadine - one of my DH's "must haves" - nope, best we've been able to find is bog standard iodine and that was like hens teeth but one of our smaller Lloyds pharmacies had it. The practice nurses have stuff called Inadeen (I think). We get iodine wipes on line.

Laundry - you can get rotary clothes lines but the flimsy little fold up ones. You get used to them eventually. The Ecover range of laundry detergents are pretty good.

So glad to hear that the job front is sorted! Hope things continue to go well!

Thanks Quoll. Will check out Lloyds for the iodine and order some of those iodine wipes. Also Ecover after I finish the Surcare I just bought. (Really can't stand perfumed laundry.)

Originally Posted by Lorry1
Hi brissybee, Welcome home!

I'm glad that for the most part you are enjoying it and settling back well. I think its funny you miss so much from OZ. I didn't miss a thing from Canada after my return, and even now, a year later, I can honestly say I do not miss a thing

I have to agree with most of your observations though... very good!
Thanks Lorry. It's mainly cleaning things I miss but only because I'm used to them and haven't yet found their UK substitutes. I am surprised though that I can't buy Betadine and Sorbolene soap in the UK. I wonder if there's a Sorbolene substitute? Anyone? Basically, soap gives me dermatitis as I have super sensitive skin.

As for Australia, purely as a country, there's not much I miss either.
Old Sep 8th 2014, 8:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Quoll. Will check out Lloyds for the iodine and order some of those iodine wipes. Also Ecover after I finish the Surcare I just bought. (Really can't stand perfumed laundry.)

Thanks Lorry. It's mainly cleaning things I miss but only because I'm used to them and haven't yet found their UK substitutes. I am surprised though that I can't buy Betadine and Sorbolene soap in the UK. I wonder if there's a Sorbolene substitute? Anyone? Basically, soap gives me dermatitis as I have super sensitive skin.

As for Australia, purely as a country, there's not much I miss either.
Aqueous cream can be used as soap they recommend it for frail aged skin apparently - I didn't know there was Sorbolene soap but the nearest we've found to Sorbolene is Diprobase but it's not Sorbolene price!!!!!(mum gets it on prescription)

Can't get Lucas PawPaw ointment here either - that's one thing DH brings back every year.
Old Sep 10th 2014, 1:30 am
Just Joined

fizzybangs is an unknown quantity at this point

They do now sell top loader washing machines in the UK, google them. Wuite interesting actually as they do narrow ones - all sizes. I had same problem with laundry detergents until I found one in Asda, no perfume and liquid. Plus cheap!
Old Sep 22nd 2014, 6:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

I thought you were going back for a holiday., had no idea you had moved back.

Well done!

No more summers from hell, you lucky duck
Old Sep 23rd 2014, 10:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute

I am from Edinburgh but now living in Cheltenham - I do not miss much really except perhaps the annual international festival ....and soft water and kettles that don't develop a furring up problem, but there is a positive side..hard water is supposed to be healthier.
Old Sep 24th 2014, 1:10 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lothianlad
I am from Edinburgh but now living in Cheltenham - I do not miss much really except perhaps the annual international festival ....and soft water and kettles that don't develop a furring up problem, but there is a positive side..hard water is supposed to be healthier.
Is it? They used to say that. I remember being told it when I was at school (50 years ago!). I'd love to know whether there is any firm scientific evidence for hard water being healthier than soft. It contains calcium which must be good for building bones, but I remember being told that people in soft water areas have more heart attacks.
Old Sep 24th 2014, 7:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond repute

Ha! Had to google it because the softer water has been kinder to my hair and skin but alas there are more nutrients in hard water.

Hard water... is water that contains an appreciable quantity of dissolved minerals (like calcium and magnesium).

Soft water... is treated water in which the only ion is sodium.
Old Sep 24th 2014, 9:17 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

I did some googling too. Apparently the calcium is good for bones, but there is no clear evidence that people in hard water areas have less heart disease.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.