British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Back Home (https://britishexpats.com/forum/back-home-158/)
-   -   Back Three Weeks (https://britishexpats.com/forum/back-home-158/back-three-weeks-896171/)

Perth May 1st 2017 11:24 am

Back Three Weeks

I never thought I would be able to post in this section! We had a very hard time securing the OH's spouse visa, but now that we are here it has been worth all the stress and added expense.

I am originally from London, but did not want to return there. I had given myself all the excuses in the book about how expensive it was, crowded etc, but came to realise that the reason I left the UK in the first place was because I didn't like being in London anymore. I might have saved myself a good bit of aggravation had I just moved elsewhere, but then again I would not have met the mister or had our lovely daughter.

After a lot of research, I chose Norwich because it ticked everything for us. We have taken to it like ducks to water, so few complaints. People are friendly, welcoming and helpful - except for one estate agent we have now moved on from. We knew we would have a credit history black hole, so we offered to pay 6 months upfront for a flat. That wasn't enough for them, they wanted a year. We said OK as we really liked the place, but even after that, they wanted to put us through the entire application process, that they said would take two weeks, and we were running out of short-term-let time.

We found another agent who was more flexible, accepted the 6 months upfront and only took the information that was legally necessary. They are property managers, so concentrate only on rentals, and regard the relationship with the tenants as important as with the landlords. I did do my due diligence and checked them out thoroughly first. I take a peek at the other flat on rightmove every day and gleefully see it is still up for rent. If I were the landlord, and I found out that they had let a year's worth of rent slip through their fingers....anyway not our problem anymore.

We are slowly getting through all the other personal business such as signing up at the surgery, getting a rail pass, getting my paper driver's licence traded in for a photo card, and getting on the voter role. We are still deciding which food market we prefer, as we check the choices available and the prices. Looking forward to moving into our permanent flat, which will take us closer to the street market, with the baker, butcher and fishmonger.

There has been so much to do here, I wouldn't even know where to start. We have walked anywhere up to 8 miles a day as we have chosen not to own a car. It's a wonderful medieval city to explore with a magnificent cathedral. We have just spent the weekend enjoying the Flintspirational festival, celebrating the medieval history of the city, with bell ringing in one of the many churches, viewing a section of undercrofts, Morris dancing and evensong at another church.

Will wrap it up now. So very happy to be here. Would not have made it this far without BE, and some very special contributors here. So thank you :heart:

Jerseygirl May 1st 2017 12:55 pm

Re: Back Three Weeks

Thank you for being such a wonderful contributor to BE :thumbsup: and thank you for taking the time to update us on your move home.

I am pleased to read that you have found your little niche of England and have already planted firm roots. It is reassuring to read that your new home is in a part of the UK you haven't lived before. If we returned I would want to return to Cheshire...but husband would like to try the south west coast.

Please don't be a stranger. :fingerscrossed:

Perth May 1st 2017 1:56 pm

Thank you JG :heart:

SanDiegogirl May 1st 2017 6:10 pm

I love Norwich too.

I's sure you'll be very happy there. Keep in touch.

Best wishes

TrishP May 1st 2017 8:02 pm

Lovely to hear you're back and enjoying your new life in the old country. Norwich is a lovely city surrounded by beautiful countryside. If you do get a car, Southwold and Aldburgh are nice places to go day-tripping.
Enjoy the mustard!

cdfergus May 1st 2017 8:59 pm

Congratulations Perth!! How wonderful that you are back home! We too are in the final planning stages! Will move in Nov and Aug 1 I will begin the application for husband's spouse visa.

You say you had difficulties with that; can you tell me what issues you encountered and how you resolved them?
Thank you!

becks_r May 1st 2017 9:23 pm

Congratulations Perth - I agree with everyone else, Norwich is lovely. I spent a lot of time as a child on the Norfolk broads, have very fond memories of the place. I was there again a few years ago and hired a boat for a day, it was a beautiful way to spend a sunny day!!

robin1234 May 2nd 2017 2:04 am

Great update Perth, sounds like you're having fun.

Another great thing about Norwich for those without a car is the bus network! Someone mentioned Southwold, for instance. There's a frequent and relatively speedy service from Norwich to Southwold via Beccles (or Bungay? I can never remember which is which.) Southwold is just one example, if you can get to Norwich bus station, there are many places you can get to for a day trip! And with a bus pass, even better!

Among the things I like in Norwich;
- Lunch in the restaurant on the top floor of Jarrolds
- St. Peter Mancroft church with its superb stained glass, and excellent lunchtime recital series
- The Millennium Library, which includes a superb American library (82nd Airborne Division Memorial Library)
- St. Julian's church, with the adjoining Julian of Norwich pilgrimage centre
- Sainsbury Art Museum, at the university. Membership is well worth while!
- So many second hand book shops. Tombland book shop is outstanding
- Both cathedrals of course, the catholic cathedral is one of the finest Victorian churches in England (and has a nice tea room)
- Just near the Catholic cathedral is an amazing public garden, can't remember what it's called..
- The 1930s era city hall, and the city market adjoining

And that's just for starters!

feelbritish May 2nd 2017 7:26 am

Hi Perth, lovely to hear that you are so settled in Norwich. It has finally come to pass after all those years of us wishing and wanting and worth striving for. All the best for many happy years ahead for you and hubby!

Perth May 2nd 2017 8:56 am

What lovely responses! You all are the reason I was able to keep (most of) my sanity throughout the entire process. Despite the challenges, it has been worth every ounce of blood shed. I may still have my rose coloured classes on, but there has been little to disappoint :britflag:

Perth May 2nd 2017 8:59 am

Originally Posted by robin1234 (Post 12242449)
Great update Perth, sounds like you're having fun.

Another great thing about Norwich for those without a car is the bus network! Someone mentioned Southwold, for instance. There's a frequent and relatively speedy service from Norwich to Southwold via Beccles (or Bungay? I can never remember which is which.) Southwold is just one example, if you can get to Norwich bus station, there are many places you can get to for a day trip! And with a bus pass, even better!

Among the things I like in Norwich;
- Lunch in the restaurant on the top floor of Jarrolds
- St. Peter Mancroft church with its superb stained glass, and excellent lunchtime recital series
- The Millennium Library, which includes a superb American library (82nd Airborne Division Memorial Library)
- St. Julian's church, with the adjoining Julian of Norwich pilgrimage centre
- Sainsbury Art Museum, at the university. Membership is well worth while!
- So many second hand book shops. Tombland book shop is outstanding
- Both cathedrals of course, the catholic cathedral is one of the finest Victorian churches in England (and has a nice tea room)
- Just near the Catholic cathedral is an amazing public garden, can't remember what it's called..
- The 1930s era city hall, and the city market adjoining

And that's just for starters!

Thank you for the lovely suggestions. We have found many of these already but will add the others to our growing list. Never mind having a pub for every day of the year - there is something different to do here every day of the year :thumbsup:

Perth May 2nd 2017 9:08 am

Originally Posted by cdfergus (Post 12242293)
Congratulations Perth!! How wonderful that you are back home! We too are in the final planning stages! Will move in Nov and Aug 1 I will begin the application for husband's spouse visa.

You say you had difficulties with that; can you tell me what issues you encountered and how you resolved them?
Thank you!

Hello cd. Well, our issues were not a result of anything we did wrong but the fault of the immigration agent who violated the rules and refused our visa. Rather than appeal (which could take up to 18 months) we chose to hire an immigration solicitor and reapply (yes, we had to pay all the fees again, including priority!) The attorney read them the riot act and threatened to sue them for costs if they refused us again, and I guess that did the trick.

Be aware that they are making a lot of "errors" right now and have some contingencies in place. What is not clear is whether this is a result of incompetence or if it is deliberate in order to keep immigration numbers down. I don't imagine there are many applicants as fortunate as ourselves who could manage the fees to reapply right away, and this could be a subtle way of achieving that goal.

Ask way if you have any other questions. Wishing you the very best of luck as you go on your way home.

Celticprince_86 May 2nd 2017 9:38 am

Congrats Perth! I hope my own return goes half so well as yours!

moneypenny20 May 2nd 2017 11:08 am

Great to hear you've found 'home'. I love Norwich, I just hate the North Sea weather that hits it :lol: We bought my wedding ring in Norwich many years ago, were there visiting rellies and were wandering around the shops and did that spur of the moment thing as you do!

Thanks for the update. :goodpost:

curleytops May 2nd 2017 11:39 am

Hi Perth, so glad to hear things are going well and that you are happy in your new home. Enjoy exploring!