British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Back Home (https://britishexpats.com/forum/back-home-158/)
-   -   Back in Scotland (https://britishexpats.com/forum/back-home-158/back-scotland-915677/)

scot47 Jun 3rd 2020 4:46 am

Re: Back in Scotland

Just one of the many complications of "being in two places at the same time" I have never seen an authoritative answer to this question - are separate wills recommended for each different jurisdiction in which we have assets ?

Caroline in Arizona Jun 3rd 2020 10:37 am

Originally Posted by scot47 (Post 12861388)
Just one of the many complications of "being in two places at the same time" I have never seen an authoritative answer to this question - are separate wills recommended for each different jurisdiction in which we have assets ?

We now have separate Wills in the USA and Scotland - so 4 in total - 2 for me and 2 for my DH. We were able to do everything remotely with Zoom meetings. The writing of the Wills was free with a donation to a charity. We also did a Power of Attorney for each of us which we were charged for. We had an initial Zoom meeting when we discussed everything. We were then sent a hardcopy of everything. We reviewed it and they made updates. We were able to print off the updates ourselves. They then witnessed us signing it and we sent the Wills back to them. They also had someone else join the Zoom meeting and ask us a series of questions to make sure that we were sufficiently with it for signing a Power of Attorney. Hope this helps.

Ardrossanborn Jan 14th 2021 11:41 am

I came back in April 2020 and have had to have a Will done here as I bought a couple of flats to remodel and have already sold one on. Problem is that the old will did not cover anything is Scotland as the x wife was given everything when I left (voluntarily) as it was the family home. Scottish Widows pension was rubbish so cashed in and went for property. Not easy to get materials but moving forward. As an expat of course we get zero assistance during the pandemic as we have got savings. Often wonder if I did the right thing as I see many new cars and no work being done. Happy to be back on the West Coast even though the last few days have been dreechit.

dougal03 May 26th 2021 8:59 am

No improvement,Ardrossanborn,.I came to Ayrshire in late January 2021 & feel it is like walking in treacle.Had to go on flight to Newcastle & travel up to Scotland & asked the British Embassy if I had to do my isolation in that city or could I travel on by train to Scotland.Still waiting for a reply.Today I am going for the details of my paid up funeral plan that I took out with a British company in Spain some years back.Then on to get some legal advice about rewriting my will as,& I was not aware of this before,Scotland has different inheritance rules to England.

dougal03 Jun 7th 2021 4:25 pm

Liz Truss is at present having discussions with the Australians concerning a trade deal.Of course it will be a British deal,including what each of the 4 countries has to put into the pot as regards goods to offer.Scotch whisky,I believe,has been one of the products to be contributed.In return we shall get a lot of meat.My Ozzie brother-in-law(in England)thinks it will be great for both sides & at the same time will help with joining the Asian-Pacific trade group of which Australia is a member.Then there is the deal suggested with Norway,Liechtenstein & Iceland where we can exchange our cheeses & (strangely beef which I thought we were importing from Australia) for goods from these 3 countries.If this comes off what do you think,good for us or not?

MartynK Jun 13th 2021 7:15 am

Originally Posted by dougal03 (Post 13010605)
No improvement,Ardrossanborn,.I came to Ayrshire in late January 2021 & feel it is like walking in treacle.Had to go on flight to Newcastle & travel up to Scotland & asked the British Embassy if I had to do my isolation in that city or could I travel on by train to Scotland.Still waiting for a reply.Today I am going for the details of my paid up funeral plan that I took out with a British company in Spain some years back.Then on to get some legal advice about rewriting my will as,& I was not aware of this before,Scotland has different inheritance rules to England.

You are probably aware of this now, but it's not just the law governing inheritance that differs. Scots law (both civil and criminal) and the procedures associated with it differ from English law in many important respects. You might find this resource useful: https://scottishlaw.org.uk/lawscotland/.

dougal03 Jun 14th 2021 9:01 am

Thanks,Martyn.

Walmsc Jun 24th 2021 4:39 am

Hi we are moving back from Canada to UK and the cost of shopping is very steep. I see that you used upakweship. Can you tell me more about your experience with that process please?
many thanks
claire