Back in Scotland

Old Oct 11th 2019, 2:22 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Back in Scotland

Originally Posted by Caroline in Arizona
After being away from this site for several months I thought I would give an update.

We have now been back in Scotland for 15 months. After a few hiccups in the first 6 months we are doing so well. I love being back here and treasure every day.

1. Family - I go down frequently to Somerset to visit my Mum in her nursing home. I’ve become very familiar with the Edinburgh to Bristol flight. I see my cousin almost every week. She also lives in Edinburgh. Tomorrow we’re going to the Modern Art Gallery.

2. Travel - we love being close to mainland Europe. We’re about to go on our 4th cruise this year - 1 in the Baltic and 3 in the Mediterranean. Also love touring in Scotland and recently we were up in Gairloch, Inverness, and Nairn (where my Dad grew up)

3. Home - we love our home with magnificent views over the Firth of Forth. We take advantage of our bus passes and have frequent visits into the center of Edinburgh. I’ve joined Historic Scotland, National Museums of Scotland, and the National Gallery of Scotland.

4. Loads of walking. My DH has lost 20 pounds since our return with all his walking. Definitely a success with his 2 new knees. I love walking and discovering the city.

5. Neighbors - there are 6 families in our little development with both young and retired so a good mix. Some good friendships are developing.

6. Food - love it. I put on some weight when we first came back which I have now lost. It really wasn’t a good idea to be eating 4 crunchies in a day.

I am content, happy, and thrilled to be back.

Best wishes to all of you.
A wonderful post Caroline, one that you can't help smiling as you read it. I'm really happy for you.
Old Oct 11th 2019, 7:53 pm
Forum Regular

Caroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
So uplifting.
Thank you so much for sharing.
BEVS,

Many thanks. Every day I feel extremely grateful for so many things.
Old Oct 11th 2019, 7:58 pm
Forum Regular

Caroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
A wonderful post Caroline, one that you can't help smiling as you read it. I'm really happy for you.
spouse of scouse,

Many thanks. Life is definitely a journey rather than a destination!
Old Oct 21st 2019, 11:37 am
Just Joined

Dianepatricia is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by NiHao
Great update! Very happy for you that things are going well.
Great to,hear that all is going well for you! How much are you paying to store your belongings and how big is your storage unit?
Old Dec 5th 2019, 7:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

I returned to SCO 10 years ago and retired here 9 years ago. I still have doubts. When I came to that fork in the road, did I choose the right path ? But in any case "Alea jacta est"
Old Dec 5th 2019, 10:12 am
BE Enthusiast

MartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
I returned to SCO 10 years ago and retired here 9 years ago. I still have doubts. When I came to that fork in the road, did I choose the right path ? But in any case "Alea jacta est"
Ita vero...

I think I'm in a similar situation. I grew up in Scotland but I'm South African on my mother's side, and I spent most of my adult life in SA. My wife came back in 2006, for various reasons, and I followed her a few years later. We live in Edinburgh now but I miss SA badly, and sometimes regret that decision.
Old Dec 5th 2019, 1:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

People her can be very parochial, with little interest in or knowledge of the outside world. Worse than our cousins across the pond !
Old Feb 28th 2020, 4:14 pm
Forum Regular

10 days after I gave my last update my dear beautiful Mum passed away in Somerset on what would have been my parents 67th wedding anniversary. I am so grateful that I was able to see so much more of my Mum since our return. We will be scattering her ashes in the Highlands this summer. I have a number of cassette tapes from the 1980s that my Mum and Dad used to send over to us in Arizona and we would send them tapes as well. My Mum would speak for 45 minutes on one side and my Dad would speak for 45 minutes on the other side. It is so lovely having them speak to me as if they are in the room. My DH got a translator device and I now have what was on the tapes on my phone and iPad. When visiting my Mum I would read a lot of poems especially from a child’s Garden of Verse by Robert Louis Stevenson. At her funeral I read The Lamplighter by RLS. A week after the funeral my DH had converted the first cassette tape. I listened to it. My Mum starts reading poems to me from a new poetry book that she had just bought. And one of the poems that she read to me was The Lamplighter. And she says you will remember this from when I read this to you as a child. At this point I was on the floor with tears streaming down my face. They were tears of joy that I had my Mum reading the poem to me that I have just read at her funeral one week before. As the tape was over 30 years old I had not remembered the poems were on the tape.

I did not expect to feel the level of grief that I felt in the first month after my Mum passed away. I read so much about grief and the best thing that I read was that grief is the price we pay for love.

Life in Scotland is going very well and I am now swimming on an almost daily basis in an indoor pool as I don’t think I will be swimming outdoors at all!!

best wishes
Caroline
Old Feb 28th 2020, 10:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Oh my goodness Caroline—this is such an incredibly moving post. The way you and your parents sent tapes back and forth, how beautiful. What a lovely idea (wish we had thought of that...) And now what a treasure for you to have. Love the connection around the Child's Garden of Verses Lamplighter poem.

Thanks you for sharing this story and especially telling us that you are so grateful you came back and so have been able to see more of your Mum. And that life in Scotland is going well.

Condolences in your loss...
Old Feb 29th 2020, 9:27 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by between two worlds
Oh my goodness Caroline—this is such an incredibly moving post. The way you and your parents sent tapes back and forth, how beautiful. What a lovely idea (wish we had thought of that...) And now what a treasure for you to have. Love the connection around the Child's Garden of Verses Lamplighter poem.

Thanks you for sharing this story and especially telling us that you are so grateful you came back and so have been able to see more of your Mum. And that life in Scotland is going well.

Condolences in your loss...
between two worlds,

Thank you for your very kind words. I am feeling extraordinarily grateful for so many things these days. Right now the sun is shining in Edinburgh and daffodils are blooming in the back garden.

Caroline
Old Mar 2nd 2020, 6:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
People her can be very parochial, with little interest in or knowledge of the outside world. Worse than our cousins across the pond !
So sorry for your loss Caroline- so nice you were able to spend time with your Mum before she passed.
Old Mar 2nd 2020, 8:59 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by shelley748
So sorry for your loss Caroline- so nice you were able to spend time with your Mum before she passed.
shelley748,

Thank you very much. We had lovely visits with my Mum in her nursing home. In addition to reading poems we would sing Scottish songs and, apart from my last visit, my Mum was able to join in. The visits were very joyful.

Best wishes
Caroline
Old Mar 9th 2020, 3:30 pm
Forum Regular

My DH and I are in the process of updating our wills. We last did this in 2011 in Arizona. We are meeting with a solicitor shortly. When setting up the appointment I asked if they covered USA assets. I was told they don’t - just UK assets. Is it typical to have separate wills for the USA and UK?
Old Mar 9th 2020, 6:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Caroline in Arizona
My DH and I are in the process of updating our wills. We last did this in 2011 in Arizona. We are meeting with a solicitor shortly. When setting up the appointment I asked if they covered USA assets. I was told they don’t - just UK assets. Is it typical to have separate wills for the USA and UK?
We need to address this as well. I believe that yes, one needs a separate will for each country.
If/when you find out more, do let us know!
Old Mar 10th 2020, 2:01 pm
Just Joined

Walmsc is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by between two worlds
We need to address this as well. I believe that yes, one needs a separate will for each country.
If/when you find out more, do let us know!
I am.interested to know this too as I am in Canada at the moment looking to go home to UK

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.