Back in Scotland

Old Nov 21st 2018, 12:44 pm
Forum Regular

Caroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Back in Scotland

yellowroom - thank you for your kind words. I really appreciate them.

fulwood - Hi Caroline in Arizona - I’m very sorry to hear about the loss of your brother. Isn’t it strange that we think we can do without our medication when doing well and we fail to realize that it is because of the medication that we are doing well and functioning. Do you have any idea when you think you may be leaving Arizona?
Old Jan 18th 2019, 6:55 pm
Forum Regular

Caroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond repute

Happy New Year and best wishes for 2019!
Today is the 6-month anniversary of our return to Scotland. Here is an update.

1. A month ago we moved into a new build home in Edinburgh. I absolutely love it. IKEA has become our new best friend and we now have translucent/chrome chairs and red funky side tables with handles and I’m just really enjoying the look in our home.

2. When we were in Arizona my DH did most of the grocery shopping as I found the grocery stores too overwhelming (both size and too many choices). I now do most of the shopping and I’m loving it. I walk to Lidl on an almost daily basis with a backpack, get my shopping and then walk home again. I cannot believe how inexpensive food items are and the good quality that they are.

3. Absolutely loved being here for Christmas. I did my own personal taste-testing of mince pies and decided that Aldi was the winner. I have eaten so many that I’m actually having withdrawal symptoms.

4. I have been in regular contact with my five childhood friends and have seen three of them. There is a special bond with people you grew up with. As my friend said we kick-started with the same bunch of tools.

5. I think I’ve making a friend!! I’m a pretty chatty person and started talking to a woman on the bus. She lives close by, is recently retired and gave me her name and phone number and asked me to call her. I did and we got together and have arranged another time to get together.

6. So far the weather in Edinburgh has been quite mild. We frequently do not have the heating on and have windows open. I know this will not last!!

So happy we had the adventure that we did and so happy to have returned to Scotland.
Old Jan 18th 2019, 7:03 pm
vh3
Forum Regular

vh3 is an unknown quantity at this point

I am so happy that things are working out for you. We will be returning in June, travelling to all the places we think we might want to settle in 2020. There are times I question our move back as we will have lived in Canada for 24 years and fear that things will not be as we hope however I am sure everyone goes through that.
Old Jan 18th 2019, 7:07 pm
Forum Regular

vh3 - June will be here before you know it. Best wishes to you. I feel very different after six months than I did after three or even four months. I am feeling so settled now and just enjoying every day. I saw my first daffodil, snowdrop and heard my first Robin this past week and it was just a joy.
Old Jan 18th 2019, 7:10 pm
vh3
Forum Regular

vh3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Caroline in Arizona
vh3 - June will be here before you know it. Best wishes to you. I feel very different after six months than I did after three or even four months. I am feeling so settled now and just enjoying every day. I saw my first daffodil, snowdrop and heard my first Robin this past week and it was just a joy.
I miss our robins..... not the same ones we have here, thumpers if truth be told.
Old Jan 18th 2019, 7:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the update Caroline, so pleased to hear how well things are going.
Old Jan 18th 2019, 8:50 pm
Forum Regular

durham_lad - thank you. So glad this forum exists so we can help each other by providing both practical and emotional support.
Old Jan 19th 2019, 9:48 am
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Great to see this update, Caroline! So glad you are enjoying life in Scotland, even in the winter....yes, first daffodils, snowdrops, the robin singing whatever the weather....I still enjoy these every year. Winter darkness is hard but at least once you've turned the corner on Dec 21, you know it's getting lighter gradually.
Old Jan 19th 2019, 11:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Weather is still grim in Scotland. I often have deep regrets about retiring here ! Regrets are outweighed by access to the NHS which is a great PLUS. Thank you Aneurin Bevan and all the others who fought and are fighting to build and maintain this service.
Old Jan 19th 2019, 11:36 am
Forum Regular

between_two_worlds - thanks - very happy with how things are going. I’m not too sure what is going on but I am enjoying this winter weather and I like it when it gets dark. I know it’s not going to stay as mild as it has been recently. I think after decades of virtually nonstop sunshine and pretty intense sunshine I am enjoying the cooler weather and my body prefers this weather. Yesterday I was in Princes Street and after buying my DH another jumper in the Marks and Spencer sale I had a hot chocolate with cream and scone in the café. When I came out into the street again it was dark, the castle was lit and I thought it was quite magical.
Old Jan 19th 2019, 11:40 am
Forum Regular

scot47 - I am sorry to hear that you often have deep regrets. In my opinion the NHS is brilliant. My DH and I registered with the dentist on Tuesday and got an appointment two days later for a check up and all went well. I almost cried when he asked me if it would be OK for the miniscule amount that I would have to pay for the x-rays. It seemed such an insignificant amount and it made me feel incredibly grateful for the NHS .
Old Jan 19th 2019, 11:49 am
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Caroline Great to hear that your body prefers the cooler weather and you even find the dark evenings in Edinburgh magical! (I must get there, have never been and know I would love it. Maybe will wait till later in year though!!) But it's so good to hear you are enjoying everything.

Scot so sorry to hear about your deep regrets....if the weather is a huge issue, is there any possibility of moving south?? I know there is a big difference in the weather between down here in south-west, and up there. But (forgive me if you have said, my memory is bad!) I don't recall if you have compelling reasons for being there. Also any move is a huge stress and upheaval, i realise that...but sad if you are living w deep regrets and dislike of weather (despite NHS).
Old Jan 19th 2019, 4:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

"Hier bin ich Mensch, hier darf ich sein". OI have no contacts or roots in England -the South to me a hostile and alien land.

Since retiring here I have carved out a niche for myself. I will be 72 soon. i will live out mylife on this offshore island. God grant that I live to see my native land a free and sovereign state.

Last edited by scot47; Jan 19th 2019 at 4:26 pm.
Old Jan 19th 2019, 7:10 pm
Forum Regular

Timmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond repute

free and sovereign state - me too, can't wait to leave the eu!
Old Jan 19th 2019, 8:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

My native land is not yours !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.