Back in Scotland

Old Sep 3rd 2018, 2:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

neilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Back in Scotland

Caroline ,Im from Edinburgh living in Calgary and my wife( who is Mexican) and I have just returned from visiting family in Scotland.We rented a car and spent a few days on Isle of Skye,never been there before but breathtakingly beautiful, same for the drive through Glencoe and the Highlands.My wife loved Edinburgh,she took over 300 photos.It was only the 2nd time I have been home in 11yrs and we are planning to visit again in near future as there was so much we didnt get to see,although probably not when the Edinburgh Festival is on!
Old Sep 3rd 2018, 4:37 pm
Forum Regular

Caroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond repute

neilcumming - sounds like a wonderful trip. Yes, Edinburgh is incredibly busy during the festival. We’ve put a reservation down for a new build home in Edinburgh. We should be moving in sometime in November.
Old Sep 3rd 2018, 10:32 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Caroline in Arizona
neilcumming - sounds like a wonderful trip. Yes, Edinburgh is incredibly busy during the festival. We’ve put a reservation down for a new build home in Edinburgh. We should be moving in sometime in November.
That sounds interesting.
Old Sep 4th 2018, 1:34 am
BE Forum Addict

TrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond repute

You're in my old stomping ground - I used to live in Pencaitland, just up the road from the 'Burgh. I was back last year on holiday and had tears in my eyes driving round East Lothian, it's so beautiful. I could kick myself for leaving. Clark's Fishmongers in Musselburgh is fantastic!
Old Sep 4th 2018, 12:00 pm
Forum Regular

Caroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond repute

TrishP - I have just passed Clark’s Fishmongers on my way back from my walk along the beach. Our flat is right beside Clark’s. The reason I went 9 years without visiting Scotland is I found it too difficult to leave after a visit. Now that we are back my wanderlust has disappeared!
Old Sep 17th 2018, 7:51 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jenningson
Can't believe that in my 52 I never been in Scotland... What to start from? Edinburg?
Edinburgh is a good place to start from Middlesbrough. Easy train trip, or if going by car then straight up the A19 through the Tyne Tunnel, join the A1 and keep going north. Lovely, lovely trip through Northumberland.
Old Sep 17th 2018, 4:59 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by durham_lad

Edinburgh is a good place to start from Middlesbrough. Easy train trip, or if going by car then straight up the A19 through the Tyne Tunnel, join the A1 and keep going north. Lovely, lovely trip through Northumberland.
Just to add a bit of (very) local knowledge, avoid the Tyne Tunnel because immediately north of there the junction between the A19 and the A1058 coast road is a total mess, as it has been for the last 3 years due to the construction of Newcastle's answer to the Spaghetti Junction.

Better (out of rush hours) to leave the A19 towards Gateshead (A184 from memory) then use the A167 across the Tyne Bridge towards A1(N).
Old Sep 17th 2018, 6:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Just to add a bit of (very) local knowledge, avoid the Tyne Tunnel because immediately north of there the junction between the A19 and the A1058 coast road is a total mess, as it has been for the last 3 years due to the construction of Newcastle's answer to the Spaghetti Junction.

Better (out of rush hours) to leave the A19 towards Gateshead (A184 from memory) then use the A167 across the Tyne Bridge towards A1(N).
Yes, that junction has been a mess ever since we got back here in 2016.

It very much depends on the time of day, and let Google Maps be your guide as it is very good at showing accurate time with traffic and exactly where the holdups are. We travelled to Northumberland for a few days holiday on Tuesday morning last week, and were very impressed at how quickly we got through those road works. We traveled home Friday morning and again GM said the Tyne Tunnel was the fastest route, and again there was hardly any delay. We did not come to a stop until we were in sight of the junction and it only took 2 changes of lights to get through that roundabout.
Old Sep 17th 2018, 11:44 pm
No beginning to my talent

crofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Caroline in Arizona
It’s been a brilliant week. Last Friday my DH and I were at the Runrig concert in Stirling
I’ve often wondered if there were any other ‘Riggies’ on this forum

We we’re there for the farewell gig too, hope you enjoyed it as much as we did and congratulations on your return.
Old Sep 18th 2018, 7:21 pm
Forum Regular

crofty82 - it was absolutely brilliant. I’ve listened to them for decades and was thrilled to be able to attend. Just loved it when they sang Every River. Even bought a concert t-shirt!!

We’ve had a great day meeting a former colleague of mine and his wife from Arizona who are visiting Edinburgh. I love showing off the city including a quick visit to the Scottish National Gallery to show them the magnificent painting “Monarch of the Glen”. Also showed them the floral clock in Princes Street Gardens. It’s quite interesting as he said he’d never really wanted to visit the UK as he had heard the food was really bad and he’d had nothing but great food during their 9 days of travel so far!

Last edited by Caroline in Arizona; Sep 18th 2018 at 7:25 pm.
Old Sep 19th 2018, 7:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Food CAN be awful. In Scotland I notice the overwhelming smell of cheaply and badly fried food in all the urban areas.
Old Sep 20th 2018, 7:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

I forgot to add - you can escape from this by heading to a "gentrified" area. The smell of the "chippie" is not pervasive in p-laces like Dunblane or Anstruther.
Old Sep 21st 2018, 2:47 pm
Just Joined

fergiemeek is an unknown quantity at this point

Just last night we came to the conclusion that we really, really want to move back to Scotland from Indiana. It is great to hear that you are making the transition successfully!

We moved to the USA in 2012 for various reasons but mainly so that my wife could be with her mother for the last few years of her life. I have never felt at home here but certainly not miserable (most of the time) but I have secretly thought about moving back home so often it is practically a daily occurrence for me. Although my wife is originally from Indiana she moved to Scotland to marry me in 1997 and has told me that she no longer recognizes the country she left (especially politically). I am a type 1 diabetic and even though I work in a large healthcare group my prescription costs alone have risen to over $400 per month and just keep getting higher and higher. The announcement this week that cuts to social security and medicare will begin next year was the final straw, we can't afford to get old here.
The only thing keeping us here now is our daughter, she is studying at university and we wouldn't dream of leaving until after she has graduated in 18 months but I reckon we have a lot of planning to do anyway.
I am glad I found this website, and especially some Scots who have gone through this or are going through this now.
I must admit to being terrified by the prospect of changing so much in my life yet again!
Fergie
Old Sep 21st 2018, 9:31 pm
Forum Regular

fergiemeek - welcome to the forum. I am so happy I found this forum too. It is so comforting to know that there are other people who have gone through/are going through something similar. You are not alone. Please don’t be terrified. We returned after a 33-year absence and somehow managed all the many tasks involved in making such a move. Best wishes.
Old Oct 18th 2018, 9:32 pm
Forum Regular

This may come as a surprise (or perhaps it won’t.) I believe I’m experiencing Reverse Culture Shock. I have no desire to return to Arizona and I don’t want to be anywhere except Scotland. We did not return on a whim. As I have indicated in previous posts I could no longer cope with the Phoenix heat nor my homesickness. Now that we have been back 3 months the initial euphoria has gone and I’m left feeling decidedly off-kilter. I’m seeing family, friends, doing lots of walking, reading, eating well, getting enough sleep and generally looking after myself.

It’s only yesterday that I realized what I am feeling is Reverse Culture Shock. I’m reading as much as I can about it. My question for members of this forum is:

1. Does Reverse Culture Shock go away on its own with time or is there something else I should be doing to help it go away?

Thanks in advance.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.