Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Back Home
Reload this Page >

Back home... what's not to like?

Back home... what's not to like?

Old Oct 12th 2012, 7:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Back home... what's not to like?

Gosh, yes the driving here is far better than the place I left! People let you into lines of traffic, there is around 80% less tailgating, people pull over and share the road (especially down in Devon and Cornwall LOL) where the roads aren't wide enough for two and in general I don't see them honing too fast along suburban streets like the hounds of hell are after them. Hmm, thinking about it, I haven't seen any doughnut marks anywhere whereas there would be one on more intersections than not where I used to live! And I do need to say that I lived in a nice middle class suburb in a nice middle class town, not slum central.

However, the car park spaces are too narrow for the modern day motor car!
Old Oct 12th 2012, 9:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Bud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond repute

It's the sheer volume of traffic on the roads that stresses me out about UK driving.

Having said that it's nice to drive on roads that have bends in them. I feel I am actually driving instead of just sitting behind a wheel on a straight line from A to B.
Old Oct 12th 2012, 11:20 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
Gosh, yes the driving here is far better than the place I left! People let you into lines of traffic, there is around 80% less tailgating, people pull over and share the road (especially down in Devon and Cornwall LOL) where the roads aren't wide enough for two and in general I don't see them honing too fast along suburban streets like the hounds of hell are after them. Hmm, thinking about it, I haven't seen any doughnut marks anywhere whereas there would be one on more intersections than not where I used to live! And I do need to say that I lived in a nice middle class suburb in a nice middle class town, not slum central.

However, the car park spaces are too narrow for the modern day motor car!
The major thing I have noticed is the courtesy on the roads, it is so refreshing.

We are also lucky where we are that the volume of traffic is low as well.

The parking spaces could certainly be bigger, because we were out in the suburbs the spaces were big but right in Brisbane if I parked our people mover it was sometimes difficult to get out as the spaces were small.
Old Oct 12th 2012, 11:33 am
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
I use a coffee press but it makes for a blinking messy clean-up (and half of it goes down the drain during the rinse). Sounds like what you describe would make it easier to compost (just lift the filter and put in the compost bin) - is that correct?
Absolutely. Or they can be put around rhodos and other acid loving plants. Also, it's not muddy like pressed coffee. I don't like that.

You can easily pick one up on your next trip to the States.

Bev
Old Oct 12th 2012, 12:16 pm
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
Is it something like this you are describing? Or a plug-in jobbie?
Yes, though ours is a 10 cup jug and a brown plastic filter. No plug in. Just pour in water from a kettle.

This one. http://www.drillspot.com/products/29...l_Coffee_Maker

Bev