Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Back Home
Reload this Page >

Back home... what's not to like?

Back home... what's not to like?

Old Oct 7th 2012, 8:50 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Back home... what's not to like?

We're now living in a small town surrounded by countryside after moving out of Bournemouth, since we left the area we were in there have been 2 murders and a few stabbings, so we're glad to be away. The town we live in is big enough for a nice shopping center, and has a big supermarket, so far there are no fast food places, BUT, and old car showroom is currently being redeveloped into a KFC unfortunately. Travelling anywhere using the excellent bus service does mean a journey through nice countryside, and is even better now the trees are gettin their Autumn colour. Can't really say we are missing anything of Spain, a bit of their sun in the summer would be nice though. although that's certainly not a great rpoblem.
Old Oct 7th 2012, 9:22 am
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
The town we live in is big enough for a nice shopping center, and has a big supermarket, so far there are no fast food places,
Does McDonalds not count as fast food
Old Oct 7th 2012, 9:27 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rebs
Does McDonalds not count as fast food
not even a McDonalds.. nearest one is a couple of miles away near Sainsburys.
Old Oct 7th 2012, 9:32 am
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, that's the one I was thinking of - I would consider that to be in your town, in the same way that the sainsbury's is also in your town, as is the Halfords next door.
Old Oct 7th 2012, 9:38 am
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

A couple miles is pretty fast. I do not partake myself, have not been to one in several years. Nearest is about 1.2 miles. In that same range is a Taco Bell, KFC, Jack in the Box, Arbys, Subway and at least 10 others who are not considered fast food.
Old Oct 7th 2012, 10:04 am
BE Enthusiast

J.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
It does seem true, but then again most of my friends live in built-up towns and cities and can't understand why I want to be out in the country. They seem happy with their lives and what I consider to be noise and dirt, they consider to be 'buzz.' But even in cities (Leeds and York to be precise) I've never encountered the rude behaviour JJ's OH is experiencing all the time. I've come across what I'd call 'rough and ready' types but they're usually well-meaning and friendly enough.

I'm surprised because I always imagined Norfolk to be nicer than here in terms of manners but now I'm rethinking!
I'm thinking it has a lot to do with some of the population of King's Lynn, my nearest town. I know it is not just me. Years of complaints from the public eventually caused the police to attend to anti-social behaviour at the bus station. Two years ago the town library had to put bouncers on the door to control troublemakers.
But Lynn is not typical of all Norfolk. Even in the village where I live, just 3 miles from Lynn there is no anti-social problem and little crime.
When I have been to Norwich or smaller market towns nearby I do not see the same behaviour. If it wasn't for Lynn then I'd be content here. I hope Lynn gets some controlling hand on it for it used to be and could be a more pleasant society. The town itself is nice with a lot of history.

Yesterday we went out to the countryside, had a lovely walk in glorious sunshine, a nice pub lunch, more walk through fields and woods, wild blackberries for dessert. That is the Norfolk I have always enjoyed.

Last edited by J.JsOH; Oct 7th 2012 at 10:20 am.
Old Oct 7th 2012, 10:13 am
Banned

Pit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to all

There's not much to dislike about the UK, it's a fantastic country, steeped in history, close to Europe, fantastic countryside, the UK has been really good to me and my family.
Old Oct 7th 2012, 10:19 am
BE Enthusiast

J.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
This makes sense. Every time I read your posts I wonder if we live in the same country (I find people so polite and life so relaxing here). But a) I used to live in New York and b) I now live in the English countryside. It sounds as though we had reverse journeys - I now have more peace than I ever had, while you have less. That has to be tough.

As we've looked for a house to buy, we've come to realize that what we want more than anything is to be away from other people with only sheep for company.
Sally, I was always grateful that I hadn't ended up living in New York / Newark and other similar areas of USA. Tourist visits and business trips were fine but definitely not places I would want to live. My trigger to return to UK was when my then employer wanted to dictate that I relocate to an undesirable city.

John
Old Oct 7th 2012, 11:04 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by rebs
Yes, that's the one I was thinking of - I would consider that to be in your town, in the same way that the sainsbury's is also in your town, as is the Halfords next door.
Well I don't , it's a bus ride away from us as we have no car, so not really in our town, at least not in the main shopping area.
Old Oct 7th 2012, 11:11 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

With reference to the original question, my answer is....NOT A LOT
Old Oct 7th 2012, 11:16 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by Pit Bull.
There's not much to dislike about the UK, it's a fantastic country, steeped in history, close to Europe, fantastic countryside, the UK has been really good to me and my family.
So, the question is, WHY ARE YOU LEAVING?
Old Oct 7th 2012, 12:57 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by J.JsOH
Sally, I was always grateful that I hadn't ended up living in New York / Newark and other similar areas of USA. Tourist visits and business trips were fine but definitely not places I would want to live. My trigger to return to UK was when my then employer wanted to dictate that I relocate to an undesirable city.

John
I actually really liked the area we lived in near Manhattan but when I ventured anywhere outside the North East, I was always glad to get back home. I just wasn't made for America!

(But yes to Newark, I think I would have rather lived in Alabama than there).
Old Oct 7th 2012, 1:26 pm
Banned

Pit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to all

So, the question is, WHY ARE YOU LEAVING?
We fancy doing something different with our lives, life's about living, experiencing new things, both countries are fantastic and we want our kds to have dual nationality to give them the opportunity to live in either great country.
Old Oct 7th 2012, 8:44 pm
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pit Bull.
We fancy doing something different with our lives, life's about living, experiencing new things, both countries are fantastic and we want our kds to have dual nationality to give them the opportunity to live in either great country.
So even though you love the UK you're still wanting to move 12,000 miles across the other side of the world?
Old Oct 7th 2012, 9:02 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Pom_Chch
So even though you love the UK you're still wanting to move 12,000 miles across the other side of the world?

Yes, it's fantastic there, we all love it,

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.