Back :)

Old Apr 24th 2014, 4:38 pm
Forum Regular

Englishmaple has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmaple has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmaple has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmaple has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmaple has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmaple has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmaple has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmaple has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmaple has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmaple has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmaple has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Back :)

The timing isn't punitive. It's the manner. For eg, when I turned up at the job centre I was greeted by a GS security guard - he was the only person I was allowed to talk to. I could see the staff in the distance but he would not allow me to go and ask some questions. So I asked him some questions and he didn't know the answers. So he then went and had conversations with the staff and then relayed the information back to me. The whole thing was bizarre - being greeted by security, struggling to get information on how the job mentoring system works here and talking to people on the phone who were just officious and having to listen to messages warning me of not committing fraud while waiting to talk to people on the phone ... it all added up to a certain "culture."

The security man told me that the job centre wasn't really a job centre anymore - it was a benefits centre - and when I asked about mentoring and help available to get back into the job market, I was told about the job club. But it's woefully inadequate compared to Canada.

I was very polite all the way through and the questions I asked were the kinds of things anyone would ask when starting over again after a gap from the UK. There seems really very little job mentoring publicly available here compared to Canada and being referred to the internet has its limits - especially when one has repetitive strain injury - my arms have flared up badly since yesterday and I am going to have to limit my posts and conserve my arms for job applications - which also seem mostly electronic.

I understand that there are people who are "working" the system so to speak. But equally, there are bankers and business types working the system too - that's how 2008 happened. The difficulty I have is that the culture here seems to presume that everyone on benefits is screwing the system - and the stories I heard in the job club were awful. And its hard seeing and hearing suffering and realising that the people in 2008 who created the mess are collecting big bonuses and doing alright thank you very much and the people who are experiencing the fall out from 2008 are really struggling.

In Canada I had the sense that there was more compassion around for people who are struggling - they certainly weren't viewed as screwing the system in the same way that they are here.

Last edited by Englishmaple; Apr 24th 2014 at 4:44 pm.
Old Apr 24th 2014, 4:56 pm
Forum Regular

Englishmaple has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmaple has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmaple has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmaple has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmaple has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmaple has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmaple has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmaple has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmaple has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmaple has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmaple has a reputation beyond repute

I'm going to add a post about today but then I think I'm going to have to take a break from posting. My arms are super sore from the computer use and I need to apply for jobs so I have to limit keyboard use at the moment to job applications. Sorry

Today was a better day. I applied online yesterday for a free 5 day pass to the local sports centre and they rang the same day! So I picked it up last night and today went to a free Body Balance class which was an interesting experience (a fusion of yoga, tai chi and pilates done to rock and rapp music with relaxation thrown in at the end!). I felt better for doing it although I'm not sure I'll do it again! I'm going to the gym tomorrow to try that - it's nice to have the opportunity to do something free for the next 5 days. I could take out a membership but you have to commit to 3 months minimum .. so I'm not sure at the moment whether I'll do that as it depends on where I end up workwise.

I also had my hair cut which felt good and received the driving licence information pack which I'm going to complete and get my UK licence. I also booked an eye test - partly because I need one and partly because the driving licence pack had an eye test question! The local optician is also doing discount eye tests at the moment - 25 pounds for the test!

I also logged on to the county council job website and am going to apply for a job. It has to be done electronically and fortunately I was able to view the entire form which helped to give me an idea of what I need to do.

That said, they have asked me to chronologically list all my employment since secondary school and include volunteer work as well. This contradicts the advice I was given at the job club where the facilitator said employers aren't interested in going back more than 10 years.

I have done multiple contracts and my tabulated employment history (my own record) runs to 7 pages. I am not looking forward to typing all this in and I'm somewhat concerned as to whether I'm doing the right thing by following the application instructions versus the facilitator's advice.

This is the kind of thing where I would have really valued going to speak to somebody on a 1:1 basis to check whether what I'm doing is right. But there is no one available publicly locally (unlike services available through multiple agencies in Canada). The job club meets the 2nd and 4th weeks of the month and in between you are completely on your own (unless you spend time hunting around on the internet - which I have done - hence sore arms) to try and find advice on how to approach electronic forms.

I do have the job centre appointment tomorrow but, the impression I get is that its solely looking at whether I will qualify for NI credits while I'm searching for work and whether I'm gaining the system ..

So is this why I'm less than impressed. A while back I read about an organisation that offers help - its called: http://www.womenlikeus.org.uk/
and I think I will probably sign up for some of there workshops on cvs and getting back into the workplace. But these cost and they are in London (so more transport costs). And I'm frankly astonished that there aren't more publicly available services for people to access - the UK comes off very poorly compared to Canada with respect to these kinds of services. But I guess a culture that thinks that everyone is "working" the system isn't that interested in helping people?!

Apart from my arms and the sense of isolation I feel in terms of finding work, I'm actually doing okay. But I'm now realising that my perceptions have certainly been changed by exposure to the North American culture in ways I had not anticipated. I guess that's what makes life interesting!

BTW I really appreciate the hugs and expressions of support - I am going to miss typing up accounts but, maybe if I take a break and cut back a bit on my computer use my arms will settle down again (I do hope so!). Will post more when I can.

Last edited by Englishmaple; Apr 24th 2014 at 5:02 pm.
Old Apr 24th 2014, 6:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

NiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond repute

English Maple

I would recommend you not list each and every job since leaving secondary school. The list gets too long and so much of it will be irrelevant and couldn't even be varified at this point anyway. I can' remember your age but you could group the first 10, 15 or 20 years into a very, very short list of only the ones of significant length.

For Temp contracts just group them together if possible eg 19?? - 19?? - Various Temp Contracts in Office Admin - or whatever it was

They will want to know about long gaps in employment so list them as Home maker, re training, or whatever.

They will be mainly interested in what you have been doing most recently so give more detail on that and the rest is just to get a general work history over view. If there is something you did in the past that is very relevant to the job you are applying for be sure to list that and the rest, especially the stuff from years ago, just give a very short list.

Also be sure to cut and paste all this stuff into a document or email so you don't have to keep typing it out for every application you fill out. If you keep a master copy that you can tweak for each job and then paste into their online form it will save you time and also help you rest your injury.

Hang in there its hard trying to do so much at once and you may find that there will be more help to access with applications, re training, interview skills etc. sometimes its just a question of finding it. Ask at the library they can be a great resource for this stuff.

Companies like Reed Employment used to offer a ton of free help with courses for office admin skills etc. but these days I think they offer them but you have to pay. I'd still call and see if you can make an appointment to come in and talk to them (and all the other employment agencies like Office Angels etc. etc.) and see if they can offer any advice, they may well be able to give you some more input on your CV etc. and temping can be a great way to learn about local companies.

http://www.office-angels.com/
http://www.bluearrow.co.uk
http://www.adecco.co.uk/
Old Apr 24th 2014, 6:14 pm
Forum Regular

deepcpearl has a reputation beyond reputedeepcpearl has a reputation beyond reputedeepcpearl has a reputation beyond reputedeepcpearl has a reputation beyond reputedeepcpearl has a reputation beyond reputedeepcpearl has a reputation beyond reputedeepcpearl has a reputation beyond reputedeepcpearl has a reputation beyond reputedeepcpearl has a reputation beyond reputedeepcpearl has a reputation beyond reputedeepcpearl has a reputation beyond repute

What a great post -- really helpful and so good of you to take the time to respond like this.
Old Apr 24th 2014, 6:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

Englishmaple, thank you for giving such an honest account of your job hunt. Sounds like a nightmare and has given me lots of food for thought. I do not really have to work when we come back and this kind of makes my mind up. Hang in there, you sound really organised and proficient and I am sure will find work soon. Temp work is a great idea because it gives you an idea of what you want and also time out when you need it! I agree also that you need to see your doctor about your injury, perhaps they have some advice there! Hugs coming your way!
Old Apr 24th 2014, 7:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmaple
The timing isn't punitive. It's the manner. For eg, when I turned up at the job centre I was greeted by a GS security guard - he was the only person I was allowed to talk to. I could see the staff in the distance but he would not allow me to go and ask some questions. So I asked him some questions and he didn't know the answers. So he then went and had conversations with the staff and then relayed the information back to me. The whole thing was bizarre - being greeted by security, struggling to get information on how the job mentoring system works here and talking to people on the phone who were just officious and having to listen to messages warning me of not committing fraud while waiting to talk to people on the phone ... it all added up to a certain "culture."

The security man told me that the job centre wasn't really a job centre anymore - it was a benefits centre - and when I asked about mentoring and help available to get back into the job market, I was told about the job club. But it's woefully inadequate compared to Canada.

I was very polite all the way through and the questions I asked were the kinds of things anyone would ask when starting over again after a gap from the UK. There seems really very little job mentoring publicly available here compared to Canada and being referred to the internet has its limits - especially when one has repetitive strain injury - my arms have flared up badly since yesterday and I am going to have to limit my posts and conserve my arms for job applications - which also seem mostly electronic.

I understand that there are people who are "working" the system so to speak. But equally, there are bankers and business types working the system too - that's how 2008 happened. The difficulty I have is that the culture here seems to presume that everyone on benefits is screwing the system - and the stories I heard in the job club were awful. And its hard seeing and hearing suffering and realising that the people in 2008 who created the mess are collecting big bonuses and doing alright thank you very much and the people who are experiencing the fall out from 2008 are really struggling.

In Canada I had the sense that there was more compassion around for people who are struggling - they certainly weren't viewed as screwing the system in the same way that they are here.
You poor sod! How awful that must have been. I'd love to make a political comment, but I know damn well that the so called Labour Party will do the same thing.

Good luck-keep going. This is the Baptism of Fire we go through in one form or another when we make a major life decision.
Old Apr 24th 2014, 8:02 pm
Forum Regular

I appreciate the info NiHao and the support of everyone.

Here's what it says at the top of the electronic application form for employment history:

"In chronological order, please give a full employment history since leaving secondary education.

If you have had periods of time when you have not been employed, these periods should also be included, detailing the reason for the gap in employment, e.g. travelling, unemployment, caring responsibilities.

This section refers to permanent, temporary or part time roles.

Summer/industrial placements and work experience/volunteering should also be included."

The application form has boxes with headings: Employer name, Type of business, Position held, Date from, Date to, Reason for leaving (with a pull down menu to choose selected reasons!)

I did a lot of professional research contracts in the 1980's and 1990's and professional library contracts in the 90's. If I go back just the last 10 years my skill list doesn't look as good due to the challenges of getting work in Canada (plus the text says go back to secondary education!). In Canada I was mainly self employed but didn't earn much - it was more a sideline - and also did a lot of volunteer work which could be relevant ... I don't know, it's just a lot to sort out - especially as they are interested in all the "gaps". The job I'm applying for involves working in social services so I will have to make sure there are no unexplained gaps because I expect they will want to check me out right down to my toe nails for the work I'll be doing!

So far I've completed the personal details section and the education section - only another 5 or 6 sections to go! The good thing is that once you have filled it in for this employer, they keep everything on record so you don't have to type it all out again when you apply for other jobs with them.

(I don't even want to think about all the other electronic application forms I will need to complete for other jobs ...)

Re: having it typed out for reference to cut and paste in the future - I already did that in a word file. However, here's the killer! - this particular electronic application form has tiny tiny boxes so you enter words and they literally disappear as you type them in - the text moves along. So you can only see fully what you've typed when you do a print preview. So it's not possible to just cut and paste as a block - you have to type out everything from scratch! or take a risk and try and cut and paste for each box without making errors. Some IT sadist came up with this I'm sure!

BTW I did go to the library but they don't have much - and I am actually a qualified librarian! The job club that meets twice a month is the main resource for support where one can meet a person to talk to about career stuff (in a group setting). I'm used to doing research and stuff - it's more the lack of a body to talk to one on one on career stuff that has thrown me. There is a lot on the internet but if using a computer causes pain it's tricky. I did ask at the library whether they had a computer set up for disabled folks ... they have one with a large screen but that's it! And all the keyboards are plonked down on regular desks - no keyboard trays! My own flareup I think has been brought on by the combination of sitting at the dining room table (which is too high) typing on my laptop and using the computer a lot the last few days. I can balance my lap top on my lap but its not very comfy and then my spine is screwed! What I really need is to access a computer with an ergonomic keyboard tray set up - but haven't found one publicly accessible yet.

It certainly is a Baptism of Fire!

I won't post again for a while. But I'll leave you with a few more things I like since I got back:

1. Everyone offers tea! At the job centre, at the hairdressers, at the building society!

2. Love all the charity stores - all the windows dressed up charmingly like proper shops - not like Canada where everything is generally warehoused in Value Village or in stores that have seen better days.

3. Slugs! I'd forgotten about them - it was funny seeing them spool over the pavement after the rain.

4. The considerable number of neighbours cats who pop into the garden backing on to the house I live in - so nice to see so many outdoor cats doing their thing.

5. Warmth of the people - people's english accents still sound really strange to me but the warmth of the greetings is nice and there's a down to earthness that seems unique to the Brits!

6. Listening to Classic Fm live off the Internet! It's lovely. I've purposefully stayed away from putting the news on or reading the papers - I want to focus on the good as much as I can rather than the bad!

Right am done! If any of you want to post more advice please do - I will read it, but I will refrain from posting more until I've got this job application done and taken a few days off from the computer too.

Last edited by Englishmaple; Apr 24th 2014 at 8:08 pm.
Old Apr 24th 2014, 9:31 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Good on you for keeping on keeping on.

'Since secondary school' is a legitimate start point but I sometimes wonder at what age group is that aimed at ?

If I was 21 my cv would be shorter than it is now.

For the record, my cv does start about there but having to type it all out on line is a real drag.

So I understand your frustration English Maple.

Good luck, hope your RSI settles down. Gym attendance and then Classic FM - well done for such pro-active stress management too ! (I've got more stressed looking for work than having a job !)

Last edited by Snap Shot; Apr 24th 2014 at 9:33 pm. Reason: Classic FM
Old Apr 25th 2014, 6:41 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Snap Shot
Good on you for keeping on keeping on.

'Since secondary school' is a legitimate start point but I sometimes wonder at what age group is that aimed at ?
If I was 21 my cv would be shorter than it is now.

For the record, my cv does start about there but having to type it all out on line is a real drag.

So I understand your frustration English Maple.

Good luck, hope your RSI settles down. Gym attendance and then Classic FM - well done for such pro-active stress management too ! (I've got more stressed looking for work than having a job !)
I don't think they really expect people to list every single job since they were 21. I'd say especially for the early years, a summary is enough.

Think Hawking's "A Brief History of Time".
Old Apr 27th 2014, 5:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Brigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud of

But I'm now realising that my perceptions have certainly been changed by exposure to the North American culture in ways I had not anticipated. I guess that's what makes life interesting!
This is what scares me as well; hope I will have a great outlook they way you do when I return home. I know you won't be posting for a while but I look forward to a great update once you start posting again
Old Apr 27th 2014, 10:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Just a note to say I'm back!

And it's been an interesting morning already in London UK - some things are the same, some things are very different.

I've decided to deal with it with humour and people have been very kind so far.

I walked into Sainsbury's to pick up lunch and, on facing a whole stack of self checkout machines, I asked the one staff member there whether they'd done away with people! She was very kind and showed me how things worked.

The scent of the lilacs in Bedford Square also blew me away this morning .. and the green everywhere is so lovely. The air definitely is fresher too - where I lived in Ontario it was either very cold or very humid and not much in between so it's really nice to experience breezes here.

Will post again when I've been back a while. At the moment I'm still jet lagged but it feels good to be back at this minute and, while i expect my feelings will see saw up and down the next few weeks and months I'm really glad that I've come back now.

Before I left Toronto I was having a chat with the owner of the B and B I was staying at about having to decide where to live and I said: I've got Citizenship in Canada and the UK so I could live in either country. And she said: it's a good problem to have isn't it? That I have the freedom to choose.

So as I navigate the next few months, I'm going to keep reminding myself, this is a good problem to have!

Thanks for all the support from people on the board - I have really appreciated it
EnglishMaple, congratulations on being back in our beautiful homeland! So glad to see you have a positive attitude towards everything and treating each minute as a welcome and new experience.

I will return this year and have some similar concerns, such as housing. Does your landlord require six months rent up front - and a job as well - before allowing you to rent?
Old Apr 30th 2014, 6:16 am
Forum Regular

Windsong my landlord did not require 6 months rent up front - I'm actually on a rolling 3 month contract I think (at least we verbally agreed 3 months to start with) - but the contract I signed basically says he can give me a months notice and I would need to be out (similarly I can give him a months notice if I want to leave). He didn't require me to have a job but a lot of landlords here can turn people away if they don't have a job. Because I was clear I was an expat, had some savings (told him how much) and that I was going to be job hunting he was okay about it. But it's an individual thing and I'm really glad I came across this particular person at this particular time. Living in someones home in a tiny room is also a different experience but as soon as I have a stable job, if I want to move to an apartment I could altho' apartments here (in the area I'm in) are scarce and the rents are much more expensive. So for me, at the moment, this is a stepping stone - I'm not sure how long term it will be. I didn't want to pay 6 months rent up front for an apartment (which agencies can demand) as it would have been tricky if I had ended up getting work somewhere else - it's a lot of money to lose. Hope that helps.

I completed that job application It was a horrible electronic format to complete though! Today I'm taking the day off and catching up on bits and bobs before starting another application.

I am seriously thinking of buying a secondhand car (3-5 years old) as so many jobs seem to require it and I would quite like to stay in this area of the country even though it's expensive - the countryside is lovely. Has anyone got any suggestions for types of cars to buy? I'm looking for a 3-5 year old small car which is economical to run, reliable ... I don't have a price in mind because I haven't done any research but if anyone has any pointers on this, please post them. I would have to park it outside as well (possibly on the road a bit).

I'm also going to apply for another job tomorrow with an easier application form which does require a car ... so it would be nice to figure out what type I would need to get before I get an interview (she says optimistically!).

I've had more interactions with the job centre regarding my NI credits since I last wrote .. unfortunately they needed to subject me to a Habitual Residence Test but they couldn't do it when I turned up for the appointment as I didn't have some information they said they needed which was all the dates I had visited the UK since I lived in Canada (ie going back to 2002) - they sprung that one on me at the appointment!

I didn't know how I was going to come up with this information (its holiday dates etc - everything) but my ex fortunately had found a list of our UK visit dates when we made a Canadian citizenship application - so he emailed me this and I now have that information. But I anticipate that the job centre staff will ask me for more information next week - the system has changed radically and if I get my NI credits paid I will be pleasantly surprised as everything seems to be organised to prevent people accessing monies. So glad I have savings to keep me going for a bit.

Everything still seems quite strange here but the sunshine this morning is lovely

I have a nectar card and an advantage card now. I totted up what I had spent at Sainsburys in the last week and was horrified to see it was 79 pounds! So I'm going to keep a closer habit on my food shopping. There are some lovely markets in this area and a nice vegetable shop too. In fact its really lovely that there are still so many small workaday stores left (in addition to the supermarkets) - butchers, bakeries, veg shops, cafes ... there are some chains of cafes like Costa but theres also a few quirky individual businesses as well which is really nice. In Canada a lot of what i accessed was big corporate chains - the UK high street seems to have maintained a little bit more individuality (at least in this area).

I've walked a lot since I got back and it feels good.
Old Apr 30th 2014, 9:09 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Hello. Well done for getting the online job applications done. They are really tedious.

With regard to cars, try and get one with a small engine i.e. 1200cc (1.2litre)or 1400cc (1.4litre). It will be more economical on petrol usage than a larger engine car. A car looks like a good deal but it's got a huge gas guzzling engine 1.8litre or more, so your on the road costs will outweigh it being a good deal to buy. Might just be cheaper to insure too.

Other than that, what's your preference ? Manual gearbox or automatic gear transmission ? Hatchback or saloon car ?

IMO don't get a Fiat, they are horrendously expensive to keep on the road. So are Renaults. Datsun's are rust buckets.

I had a Volkswagen Golf hatchback, manual gearbox, it was very reliable. Have you looked at AutoTrader website just to scope out what cars go for what cost ? You might see something you like but then realise it's in Staffordshire ! No problems with Staffordshire, just a long way to go to buy a car. If you purchased a car from a long way away it's still as far to get back there if there's a problem.

Some car dealerships might be ok. Some vehicles are supplied with a warranty.

No guarantees in this life.

Last edited by Snap Shot; Apr 30th 2014 at 9:13 am. Reason: done
Old Apr 30th 2014, 9:14 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Snap Shot
Hello. Well done for getting the online job applications done. They are really tedious.

With regard to cars, try and get one with a small engine i.e. 1200cc (1.2litre)or 1400cc (1.4litre). It will be more economical on petrol usage than a larger engine car. Might just be cheaper to insure too.

Other than that, what's your preference ? Manual gearbox or automatic gear transmission ? Hatchback or saloon car ?

IMO don't get a Fiat, they are horrendously expensive to keep on the road. So are Renaults. Datsun's are rust buckets.

I had a Volkswagen Golf hatchback, manual gearbox, it was very reliable. Have you looked at AutoTrader website just to scope out what cars go for what cost ? You might see something you like but then realise it's in Staffordshire ! No problems with Staffordshire, just a long way to go to buy a car. If you purchased a car from a long way away it's still as far to get back there if there's a problem.

Some car dealerships might be ok. Some vehicles are supplied with a warranty.

No guarantees in this life.

Looking for a manual. No other specifications other than cheap and reliable to run. Would like to buy in Hampshire where I am so that I don't have too far to travel to get it. Would like to be able to get an AA inspection done on it (or have a mechanic look over it before I buy it). I'm not fussed about cars per se ... just want it to be small, reliable, cheap to run and manual!

BTW I know someone who had a fiat a long time ago and it was a rust bucket!
Old Apr 30th 2014, 10:41 pm
Just Joined

erin0259 has a reputation beyond reputeerin0259 has a reputation beyond reputeerin0259 has a reputation beyond reputeerin0259 has a reputation beyond reputeerin0259 has a reputation beyond reputeerin0259 has a reputation beyond reputeerin0259 has a reputation beyond reputeerin0259 has a reputation beyond reputeerin0259 has a reputation beyond reputeerin0259 has a reputation beyond reputeerin0259 has a reputation beyond repute

I think i am more nervous about going home now, i also won't have a job so worry about who will rent to me even though i will have 6 months worth of savings to live on, hopefully i can find a landlord like yours Englishmaple, i will just have to explain my situation and hope for the best, also what about references? so many places i have been looking at for curiosity want them but i have never rented a place in the UK before so will that be a problem?

So much to think and worry about but i am going anyway so i guess i will deal with it when i get there, hopefully it will work out

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.