Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Back Home
Reload this Page >

Back 6 Years (23 Years in Canada)

Back 6 Years (23 Years in Canada)

Old Nov 1st 2016, 11:02 am
Back Home

Barnstaple has a reputation beyond reputeBarnstaple has a reputation beyond reputeBarnstaple has a reputation beyond reputeBarnstaple has a reputation beyond reputeBarnstaple has a reputation beyond reputeBarnstaple has a reputation beyond reputeBarnstaple has a reputation beyond reputeBarnstaple has a reputation beyond reputeBarnstaple has a reputation beyond reputeBarnstaple has a reputation beyond reputeBarnstaple has a reputation beyond repute
Default Back 6 Years (23 Years in Canada)

I posted back in 2011 and outlined details of our return from Canada. That post has been archived and so I thought that some may find our experiences and opinions of interest.
We moved from the suburbs of Toronto and now live a few miles from Dartmoor, in the beautiful County of Devon. We are retired and make use of our time to visit the parts of the west country that we missed - or that we have never visited. I walk on Dartmoor as much as I can.
We are so fortunate to live where we do, between moor and sea, and close to towns and villages that we love.
If we were still of working age and/or living in a large city, we might feel differently. We did find the general cost of living more expensive than in Canada, when we first returned, but have been told that Canada has become expensive since we left.
For us the return to England has been all that we hoped. It's a very personal situation and different for everyone, but the only thing that we miss in Canada is family. We don't like the political situation and resultant changes in Canada, especially where we lived, but realise that our cities in the UK have also changed for the worst. This is our experience and I would be happy to answer any particular queries.
Old Nov 2nd 2016, 8:25 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Back 6 Years (23 Years in Canada)

I'm glad you are enjoying it in Devon.
Old Nov 6th 2016, 7:01 am
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds good!!! We moved back from Canada after 15 years to our own home in Bucks. We find it too busy and are planning a relocation next Spring to South Dorset and might even hop over border to Devon if the right house presents itself. We are also retired. Dont miss Canada at all!
Old Nov 6th 2016, 8:06 am
Back Home

Barnstaple has a reputation beyond reputeBarnstaple has a reputation beyond reputeBarnstaple has a reputation beyond reputeBarnstaple has a reputation beyond reputeBarnstaple has a reputation beyond reputeBarnstaple has a reputation beyond reputeBarnstaple has a reputation beyond reputeBarnstaple has a reputation beyond reputeBarnstaple has a reputation beyond reputeBarnstaple has a reputation beyond reputeBarnstaple has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Editha
I'm glad you are enjoying it in Devon.
Hi Editha - thank you for your warm welcome !
Old Nov 6th 2016, 8:07 am
Back Home

Originally Posted by feelbritish
Sounds good!!! We moved back from Canada after 15 years to our own home in Bucks. We find it too busy and are planning a relocation next Spring to South Dorset and might even hop over border to Devon if the right house presents itself. We are also retired. Dont miss Canada at all!
Where did you live in Canada and what part of Bucks is now your home ?
Old Nov 8th 2016, 1:51 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Here we go Barnstable. A link to your original thread from 2011 for anyone interested to have a read.

Lovely to hear from you & especially that your move continues to be a good experience.
Old Nov 8th 2016, 6:36 am
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Barnstaple
Where did you live in Canada and what part of Bucks is now your home ?
We live in Marlow. Pretty town but just so busy and parking and negotiating cars parked on sidewalks is a nighmare after living in Comox, Vancouver Island. We were 30 seconds walk from beach there and the scenery was absolutely wonderful. Like you, we learnt new skills we never would have if we stayed here. We also moved over in our late 40's and learnt to ski and my OH had the best salmon fishing of his life so it is not hard to understand why he still misses it. We are now planning to move to Bridport/Lyme Regis area and hopefully find a quieter place to live near the coast. That in itself is making us nervous about upping sticks again. We also though are looking to spend years exploring the South West in our retirement.
Old Nov 8th 2016, 8:12 am
Back Home

Originally Posted by feelbritish
We live in Marlow. Pretty town but just so busy and parking and negotiating cars parked on sidewalks is a nighmare after living in Comox, Vancouver Island. We were 30 seconds walk from beach there and the scenery was absolutely wonderful. Like you, we learnt new skills we never would have if we stayed here. We also moved over in our late 40's and learnt to ski and my OH had the best salmon fishing of his life so it is not hard to understand why he still misses it. We are now planning to move to Bridport/Lyme Regis area and hopefully find a quieter place to live near the coast. That in itself is making us nervous about upping sticks again. We also though are looking to spend years exploring the South West in our retirement.
We spent many happy years in Buckinghamshire (Great Missenden) before my career necessitated a move to Newbury, and then we ended up in Theale. We actually moved from Theale, in Berkshire, when we emigrated to Canada so many years ago now !

The time has flown since we returned to the UK., and we have spent a lot of time re-exploring the West Country. Dorset is another lovely county and we enjoy "crossing the border" to explore the area around Lyme Regis - especially the fossil beds.

Good luck with your anticipated move; I'm sure that the move will be worth it...
Old Nov 8th 2016, 8:29 am
Back Home

Originally Posted by BEVS
Here we go Barnstable. A link to your original thread from 2011 for anyone interested to have a read.

Lovely to hear from you & especially that your move continues to be a good experience.
Thank you, BEVS. Reading that post brings back those memories.

Yes indeed, the move has been very positive; especially for me. Re-exploring Dartmoor has improved my health; spiritually as well as physically. I would never have believed how much impact that stress and worry can have, especially on top of physical problems. I was so ill in Canada - arthritis and nerve damage in the spine, exacerbated by the physical effects of taking too much OTC medications resulted in kidney damage - that it appeared I didn't have much time left. All I wanted was to return to England and see my time out. It sounds melodramatic now, but it was so true. I am now so much better...

The only downside is having left our family behind. That has been hard, especially for my wife, as we have children and grand children in Canada and Florida. We try not to dwell on it, though, because being back has far outweighed that negative aspect. We have travelled back since our departure from Canada back in 2011, and we hope to visit again next year. But if it wasn't for the fact that we do have close family there, we would not miss the place at all.
Old Nov 10th 2016, 7:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

J.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond repute

Barnstable, it is nice to know your return has been positive.

We also are back 6 and a bit years. I am pleased to report that my 6th year has been the most positive so far.

My difficulties in the prior 5 years have been more to do with me aclimatising to Brit society than with there being anything wrong with Britain.

I enjoyed the life we built in USA.
Leaving US was ok and I don't miss the US. We have not been back to US, largely because there are so many other places to visit.

So what was my prior unsettled problem?
The challenges of work, housing, retirement, UK society behaviors and feeling of not fitting in in UK caused me a lot of stress.

What has improved? This year I have found pastimes that suit me at this stage of life. I have learned how to pass by, without too much irritation, those things that I stiil don't like.

I feel I am now a mostly recovered ex-engineer ex-expat, yippee!

And congrats to you too Barnstable. Thanks for posting.
Old Nov 10th 2016, 7:47 pm
Back Home

Originally Posted by J.JsOH
Barnstable, it is nice to know your return has been positive.

We also are back 6 and a bit years. I am pleased to report that my 6th year has been the most positive so far.

My difficulties in the prior 5 years have been more to do with me aclimatising to Brit society than with there being anything wrong with Britain.

I enjoyed the life we built in USA.
Leaving US was ok and I don't miss the US. We have not been back to US, largely because there are so many other places to visit.

So what was my prior unsettled problem?
The challenges of work, housing, retirement, UK society behaviors and feeling of not fitting in in UK caused me a lot of stress.

What has improved? This year I have found pastimes that suit me at this stage of life. I have learned how to pass by, without too much irritation, those things that I stiil don't like.

I feel I am now a mostly recovered ex-engineer ex-expat, yippee!

And congrats to you too Barnstable. Thanks for posting.
Thank you, J.JsOH, for your post. So pleased for you that your return has also been positive. There is definitely something in being an "ex-expat" and for me, at least, being retired in Devon has much to do with feeling so contented. I also wonder if we would have been happier in the US than in Canada. We spent lots of time in the states, especially in the south, where the people are so friendly. I preferred doing business in the USA and found it more modern and vibrant than Canada. I'll say no more on that subject, because it is a moot point. Most of my life now comprises planning my next route on Dartmoor or where we are going for lunch. Good luck to you !
Old Nov 10th 2016, 9:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

J.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Barnstaple
Thank you, J.JsOH, for your post. So pleased for you that your return has also been positive. There is definitely something in being an "ex-expat" and for me, at least, being retired in Devon has much to do with feeling so contented. I also wonder if we would have been happier in the US than in Canada. We spent lots of time in the states, especially in the south, where the people are so friendly. I preferred doing business in the USA and found it more modern and vibrant than Canada. I'll say no more on that subject, because it is a moot point. Most of my life now comprises planning my next route on Dartmoor or where we are going for lunch. Good luck to you !
Hi again, I think much of my satisfaction with my life in US was due to being in a nice place in "the South" having experienced much of the States for leisure and business, plus a bit of eastern Canada.

Part of my unsettled early years back are because we came back to our retained house from before. We had kept it as back up in case the US fell through and that was a good security but returning to the old location was a disappointment. In hindsight, I would have preferred to relocate to pastures new upon return. Aged parents here are a commitment for now.

We have been down to Dartmoor a few times to friends in Ivybridge and it is attractive, but then so is the Norfolk countryside here. Still, travel, and even lunches out, does satisfy our desire to be elsewhere.
John
Old Nov 11th 2016, 6:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Part of my unsettled early years back are because we came back to our retained house from before. We had kept it as back up in case the US fell through and that was a good security but returning to the old location was a disappointment. In hindsight, I would have preferred to relocate to pastures new upon return.

John[/QUOTE

Nice to hear from you John,

We also kept a house in case of it not working out in Canada, and as an investment. As we were unsure of where to retire to and the tenancy was coming to an end we decided to come back here. Like you, we felt it was a mistake. My two friends from here had moved on and if I dont make contact I will not hear from them, it has got much more busy with parking problems and traffic, lots of young families with screaming kids and barking dogs in the summer holidays, most clubs and activities I wanted to do have waiting lists and to crown it all, our friends and neighbours just sold last month to move to Somerset to retire and this got us thinking about our life here. With no family commitments we can go anywhere in UK so are now thinking of South Dorset in the spring. Luckily we can swop a terrace house here for a 3 bed bungalow with a bigger garden so our investment paid off. I am really hoping we will be less stressed and happier in retirement at the coast.
Old Nov 13th 2016, 2:22 am
BE Forum Addict

TrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond repute

So lovely to hear that your return home to the UK has been positive, Barnstaple & feelbritish. Glad it's worked out for you. I hope to be able to say the same one day.
Old Nov 13th 2016, 7:38 am
Back Home

Originally Posted by TrishP
So lovely to hear that your return home to the UK has been positive, Barnstaple & feelbritish. Glad it's worked out for you. I hope to be able to say the same one day.
Thank you, TrishP. Wishing you "All the best". Nothing is impossible and making the move back "Home" is nowhere near as stressful as emigrating in the first place IMO. You'll make it happen....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.