Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Back Home
Reload this Page >

Back 3 Months After 22 Years Away

Back 3 Months After 22 Years Away

Old Apr 14th 2013, 4:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Back 3 Months After 22 Years Away

Yep,

It would be exceptable to hear a simple "thank you". No biggy!

I was in JCPENNEYS this week and it was nice that they tried to help but they were reluctant to leave the register to help me find clothing items. The clerks are always very nice there even though they are hard to find. This is because of the cut backs.
Old Apr 15th 2013, 10:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Almo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by dunroving
I've never understood the problem that people have with shop assistants merely being polite.

A lot of polite pleasantries aren't intended literally, and often aren't meant sincerely. Would you rather they told you to piss off, die a horrible death and never darken their doors again?

If they said nothing then people would complain about how unfriendly they are. These days you can't win for losing - why do we always have to find fault in other people? Sometimes we just need to get over ourselves and give hardworking, poorly paid shop assistants a break.
+1

It's not really the end of the world to be told to have a nice day is it? And of course Brits are forever saying things they don't mean because it's polite - saying sorry when someone else stands on your foot is the classic example often used.

Most of these posts have been comparing US vs UK customer service. Compared to Australia, I think UK customer service is a number of years ahead. It's not really anything to do with the front line people but more things like some Australian customer service lines only being open during office hours. That's difficult if you work in an environment where you can't make personal calls during work hours.
Old Apr 15th 2013, 11:35 am
Forum Regular

London1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by blackcatsfan
I've been back 8 months now, after almost 40 years in the US and I can see both sides of the coin.

I find the banking situation here bizarre. I did open an account before I came, but last week wanted to open a Santander 123 account which has all kinds of perks (3% interest, cashback on utility bills etc). But because they do credit checks before you can open an account they advised me I probably wouldn't get it AND it would show as a black mark on my credit report, and my report is pretty poor at the moment due to lack of history and opening accounts (like Virgin Media and other things you need to live )

I thought I was pretty much prepared since I always visited once or twice a year since I lived in the US but some things still shock me. I find Customer Service generally woefully lacking, and not having toll-free numbers for CS really gets my goat, I resent having to pay to complain! I have had pretty bad experiences with building trades generally (I renovated a house when I first came over) and am still dealing with the aftermath. I was also surprised at the lack of choice in large purchases, I miss the variety offered in the states, and I miss Pottery Barn and Crate & Barrel.

But I am glad I'm back, and am learning to take things in my stride, and perhaps not be as demanding as I was in Los Angeles. Despite having moved from L.A. to the northeast the weather hasn't affected me that much, it would be weird having sunshine all the time on Tyneside, although I am tired of this cold we are having, I'd like to do some gardening!

Well thanks, i thought i was the only one to have concerns as most of the post's have been somewhat the opposite of what i would have expected
(except yours) Most of them were saying that i was expecting to much, in so many words that is. It is difficult to take things in your stride like when you call to get anything done and you start to be assertive( the American way) you are told in so many words that YOU are being rude. Service is bad everywhere nobody really cares. I like you have been back many times on vacation but you see things very differently in fact through rose colored glasses. I feel as if i'm in a foreign country. It would be interesting to keep in touch with you.

Regards
John
South West Devon.
Old Apr 15th 2013, 3:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Almo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud of

I'm finding my return quite tough and am not at all sure that we've made the right choice but it's not for reasons such as customer service. If you adopt an 'American assertiveness' when dealing with people I do think you have to accept that you might get a negative reaction. I'm not quite sure what you mean by this assertiveness but if it's sufficiently different to the norm in the UK to be worthy of comment then you already know that it's not how things are 'done' in the UK.
Old Apr 16th 2013, 12:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
I've never understood the problem that people have with shop assistants merely being polite.

A lot of polite pleasantries aren't intended literally, and often aren't meant sincerely. Would you rather they told you to piss off, die a horrible death and never darken their doors again?

If they said nothing then people would complain about how unfriendly they are. These days you can't win for losing - why do we always have to find fault in other people? Sometimes we just need to get over ourselves and give hardworking, poorly paid shop assistants a break.
Quite agree.

While the salutation might not be sincere or genuine (but sometimes it is) it's a lot better than the indifference and 'barely there' acknowledgement you get in some British stores. I like someone saying hello or good morning to me as I walk into a store. I also like them wishing me a 'good day'.

Recently we visited a small candy store which we had heard had been taken over by a British couple and had British specialities. The assistant did not even look up as we walked in, never acknowledged our presence and when we paid for the goods gave a half hearted 'thanks'. She was British.

Aaah..... good old (genuine) British customer service.
Old Apr 16th 2013, 12:36 am
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Reporting after six months back from USA my views.

Originally Posted by London1947
Petrol/Diesel is expensive roughly 100 GBP to fill a midsize car.
When I left Britain not so many years ago, I was spending 25% of my monthly wage just on petrol to get to work.

Last edited by Zen10; Apr 16th 2013 at 12:44 am. Reason: Typo - 25% not 35%
Old Apr 16th 2013, 12:41 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Not quite related but we went to Penneys again today. They couldn't find the items that were in the ad. The sales clerks were super. They spent about what seems like an hour and a half with us. First item couldn't find and they kept saying 'we are a smaller store so we don't have everything that is advertised'. Note. in California, a store is fined if they don't have what is advertised in stock.
2nd item. they looked and looked and couldn't and finally they had to ordered the item. I stood all amazed at the trouble they had to go to.

Again the sales clerks were super.
Old Apr 16th 2013, 8:25 am
Just Joined

blackcatsfan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by britwhore
Make sure you use www.saynoto0870.com when trying to find either a toll free number or a regular landline number. I REFUSE to pay for 0870 or 0845 numbers!!!
Ah, thanks for that, that's great!

Just to clarify, I wasn't referring to local shops/pubs/restaurants in regard to customer service. I was talking about national companies, utilities, and actually large department stores. I realise I was in the situation of having to furnish a house from scratch so perhaps everything was magnified, but when deliveries don't show up when scheduled, and I have to call (at a cost of 2p-10p a minute), be on hold for 10 minutes, and then get no apology or much information from the rep then I guess my "American assertiveness" does come through. And I have been told I was being rude, which makes me laugh.

When I bemoan these facts to my friends or family they agree with me, and usually have similar stories to tell, but it's just something they expect. So I now go along with a Murphy's law attitude to everything and it's much easier, when things do go right and show up vaguely on time it's a lovely surprise.
Old Apr 16th 2013, 9:36 am
BE Enthusiast

jemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to behold

I think the US does some things really well, and so does the UK, and it just depends which version you prefer! I feel more at home in the UK, because its where I'm used to, but I think the differences are so great there will be a culture shock. Generally, I've found shop assistants to be very polite and helpful, and relish being able to hold a conversation rather than a bunch of pleasantries.
I agree about having stuff delivered. Until I get accepted into the great world of work again I have the luxury of being at home, but things are rarely delivered on time, or even the right day! I cannot imagine how people with jobs manage because you wouldn't be able to take the time off.
London1947, is there any chance of you being able to go back and live in the States? It sounds to me like you'd be happier there. I mean that sympathetically, same way as I knew I'd never be able to settle down in the States long term.
Old Apr 16th 2013, 10:04 am
Forum Regular

London1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by jemima55
I think the US does some things really well, and so does the UK, and it just depends which version you prefer! I feel more at home in the UK, because its where I'm used to, but I think the differences are so great there will be a culture shock. Generally, I've found shop assistants to be very polite and helpful, and relish being able to hold a conversation rather than a bunch of pleasantries.
I agree about having stuff delivered. Until I get accepted into the great world of work again I have the luxury of being at home, but things are rarely delivered on time, or even the right day! I cannot imagine how people with jobs manage because you wouldn't be able to take the time off.
London1947, is there any chance of you being able to go back and live in the States? It sounds to me like you'd be happier there. I mean that sympathetically, same way as I knew I'd never be able to settle down in the States long term.

Yes, I am able to return to the States i am a duel citizen. I am now 65 so i had half of my life in the States. I am retired now and i do get social security from the States albeit at only 75% as i took it when i turned 62 which you can do there, but at a cost of losing 25% of it. So half my life here and half there i can make a fair comparison between the two countries.

Without a doubt service's are far better there in every aspect far to many to go into in detail. To answer your question, yes I would return and will return. Spent such a lot of money getting here and spent a lot of money getting my American Wife here legally. And to those out there that may ask the question
does my wife get benefits here? a resounding NO in her passport is stamped
"Not entitled to benefits" that's because we did it legally.
Old Apr 16th 2013, 10:07 am
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

When I think about my experiences which I would categorise as 'bad customer service' I think the defining feature tends to be inflexibility. Of course, this can happen anywhere in any situation, but I do sometimes think it happens more here in the UK.

Here are some examples I have experienced (I suspect lots of people might have similar lists)...
  • I switched my energy supplier last year - the switch happened at the end of Nov 2012 and it took until Feb this year to get the refund I was due. Within a few days of my contract ending, they produced the final gas bill which showed I was in credit by about £500, however there was an issue with producing the final electricity bill (their system issue, nothing I could do my end). They would not release the final gas bill (and pay the refund) until the electricity bill (in case I owed money on that) was also done - inflexibility. As it happened, the electricity also showed a refund due.

• I received a cheque from a policy I had forgotten about and the cheque was in my maiden name. I no longer have any bank accounts in that name, so I trailed down to my bank with my birth certificate and marriage certificate to try and pay in the cheque. Had an issue due to the names - Ok, says I, I will open a new account in my maiden name and pay in this cheque - Oh no, they say - you can't do that, can't have accounts in different names 'cos you are one person! If you can see I am the same person, then pay in my cheque, please Eventually, they admitted they could put it through and see if it would be accepted. It was, and the money was credited to my account - again, inflexibility.

• I was out for dinner with my in-laws and a couple of us wanted a dish on the menu but with a different style of potato (that was on the menu as a side dish). Instead of simply saying 'sure, no problem, we might have to charge you a couple of quid extra as that is a more expensive side order' which would have been no issue - we had to order the dish as it came plus a side of the spuds we fancied - inflexible.

• When we first got back from the US, we got a new phone number. Only it's not really 'new' as BT reuse phone numbers. The number we have was previously used by a business (not sure if they are still trading or not) and I constantly get wrong numbers looking for this company (google cached pages have the number). I found out about the link to the business by googling the number. I called BT to see if I could get a different number, yes I can, but they would not tell me what the number would be (so I could google and see what came up) until I had committed to changing - might be better or might be worse. Inflexible.

As I say, to my mind customer service is all about flexibility - not so much about how you are/are not greeted in a store.
Old Apr 16th 2013, 6:07 pm
Forum Regular

Beccarose is a jewel in the roughBeccarose is a jewel in the roughBeccarose is a jewel in the roughBeccarose is a jewel in the rough

I like being told to have a nice day... I think it's friendly and even if they don't mean it they still said it and at least a small part of it is taken to heart and who knows, maybe even helps you have a nice day.
What annoys me to no end is when sales people/shop attendants jump on you the second you walk in the door- give me a second to look around before attacking please! I sort of agree with both points, on one hand it's nice to know there is someone there who can help you when you can't find something on the other hand sometimes it's nice to just be able to look around without feeling like you have to hurry up and buy something and get out. Which is how I feel sometimes when I am attacked right from the door, like I am a bother to them for wanting to look around.
What gets me more than anything is those snobby little brats who jump on you when you clearly are doing just fine on your own and make you feel like you're the scum of the earth. Politeness and courtesy go a very long way and when some stuck up jerk both annoys me with their pestering me and does it in such a way as to leave me feeling like they would really rather I just get out then yeah, I won't be happy and will take my business elsewhere.
I get that they are not paid great and I get that it must really stink to be working such a job when you have absolutely no decency in you but those types don't have my sympathy.
As for customer service in general, it really does boil down to the person you are dealing with. Even if a company policy is one thing you may still get lucky enough to deal with a person who is willing to do what they can for you. I've experienced it everywhere I've gone- the US, the UK- or anywhere else, if you are dealing with a nasty person your experience will be nasty but it should not darken your views of the customer service of the country as a whole.
Old Apr 16th 2013, 7:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

The only thing I hate is every year I live my life, all is well, check my bills all okay.. They bam.. Bloody internet company charges me 2 or 3 times what I should be paying. Several years of my life pass by while I deal with gross incompetence until I have to get to the "loyalty" dept. "As you have been a loyal customer for 20 years we can do this for you... I can feel it in my bones that a screw up is gonna occur very soon..
Old Apr 16th 2013, 7:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by fulwood
The only thing I hate is every year I live my life, all is well, check my bills all okay.. They bam.. Bloody internet company charges me 2 or 3 times what I should be paying. Several years of my life pass by while I deal with gross incompetence until I have to get to the "loyalty" dept. "As you have been a loyal customer for 20 years we can do this for you... I can feel it in my bones that a screw up is gonna occur very soon..
I know you have mentioned this before on here and I have the same problem with Century Link. I think they deliberately try to steal from customers. I just got a card in the mail from them yesterday and they were offering me $100 if I returned to them.
Let me see...I like the $100 part.
Cheers
Old Apr 16th 2013, 10:11 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Beccarose
I like being told to have a nice day... I think it's friendly and even if they don't mean it they still said it and at least a small part of it is taken to heart and who knows, maybe even helps you have a nice day.
What annoys me to no end is when sales people/shop attendants jump on you the second you walk in the door- give me a second to look around before attacking please! I sort of agree with both points, on one hand it's nice to know there is someone there who can help you when you can't find something on the other hand sometimes it's nice to just be able to look around without feeling like you have to hurry up and buy something and get out. Which is how I feel sometimes when I am attacked right from the door, like I am a bother to them for wanting to look around.
What gets me more than anything is those snobby little brats who jump on you when you clearly are doing just fine on your own and make you feel like you're the scum of the earth. Politeness and courtesy go a very long way and when some stuck up jerk both annoys me with their pestering me and does it in such a way as to leave me feeling like they would really rather I just get out then yeah, I won't be happy and will take my business elsewhere.
I get that they are not paid great and I get that it must really stink to be working such a job when you have absolutely no decency in you but those types don't have my sympathy.
As for customer service in general, it really does boil down to the person you are dealing with. Even if a company policy is one thing you may still get lucky enough to deal with a person who is willing to do what they can for you. I've experienced it everywhere I've gone- the US, the UK- or anywhere else, if you are dealing with a nasty person your experience will be nasty but it should not darken your views of the customer service of the country as a whole.
Please allow me to reply to your question about sales people that jump on you as soon as you hit the door. I worked for a major retail company in the US and employees are told that they must approach a customer within a certain amount of time, if they don't they can get written up and sometime be fired for not doing so. The major retailers employ and send in secret shoppers to make sure that they are greeted within the specified time, so the next time you do shopping in the US you will now understand why.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.