British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Back Home (https://britishexpats.com/forum/back-home-158/)
-   -   Back 3.5 months after 10 years in Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/back-home-158/back-3-5-months-after-10-years-canada-865961/)

shelley748 Feb 2nd 2017 4:52 pm

Re: Back 3.5 months after 10 years in Canada

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 12169200)
In a part of Newcastle upon Tyne called Walker, just on the edge of Byker, which was a no-go area under the Thatcher regime but is now a pleasant place to live.

I know that one shouldn't believe what you read in the press/online but I would really appreciate an honest view of what the situation is like in the UK.

1. Why is the UK allowing Sharia Law?
2. What is happening about "multiculturalism? Does it work or not?
3. Are you concerned about what is going on in Europe with the violence etc that it will spill over into the UK?

4. Healthcare- the cutbacks - do you think that with Brexit things will get better or worse (i.e. less cross border healthcare issues)

Thanks in advance

Novocastrian Feb 2nd 2017 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by shelley748 (Post 12169207)
I know that one shouldn't believe what you read in the press/online but I would really appreciate an honest view of what the situation is like in the UK.

1. Why is the UK allowing Sharia Law?
2. What is happening about "multiculturalism? Does it work o:(:(r not?
3. Are you concerned about what is going on in Europe with the violence etc that it will spill over into the UK?

4. Healthcare- the cutbacks - do you think that with Brexit things will get better or worse (i.e. less cross border healthcare issues)

Thanks in advance

:(

1. Where is the UK allowing Sharia law? Bournemouth?
2. Yes, it works here as it does in Canada.
3. No.
4. Worse, the major point being that without multicultural workers in the NHS it would already be broken.

shelley748 Feb 2nd 2017 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 12169327)
:(

1. Where is the UK allowing Sharia law? Bournemouth?
2. Yes, it works here as it does in Canada.
3. No.
4. Worse, the major point being that without multicultural workers in the NHS it would already be broken.

1. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...mic-rules.html

according to the article there were 85 Sharia Law courts back in 2014 already in the UK...:whatchutalkingabout:whatchutalkingabout

mikelincs Feb 2nd 2017 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by shelley748 (Post 12169346)
1. Sharia Law to be in British legal system as lawyers get guidelines Islamic rules | Daily Mail Online

according to the article there were 85 Sharia Law courts back in 2014 already in the UK...:whatchutalkingabout:whatchutalkingabout

In a few areas of the UK Sharia courts are allowed to be used to adjudge a few issues, these are solely within the Islamic faith and do not impact on any other people, they also have to not negatively impact what is legal under UK law, as you state that article is 3 years old, and from the Daily Mail, which always reports things correctly and never tries to inflame areas of the population :sarcasm:

The rest of your comments don't even bare talking about except the NHS, which has been in crisis for years, it was in crisis in 1964 when I started to work for it, and in the same crisis in 2004 when I left, a lot of it is the fact that it is a lot easier for the media to get involved now

christmasoompa Feb 3rd 2017 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by shelley748 (Post 12169346)
1. Sharia Law to be in British legal system as lawyers get guidelines Islamic rules | Daily Mail Online

Oh blimey. Forget the Daily Mail for a realistic idea of life in the UK, it's just an awful sensationalist rag and most of what they print bears no resemblance to reality for most people in the UK. I had no idea Sharia Law even existed in the UK, but then I don't read that awful newspaper.

Novocastrian Feb 3rd 2017 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 12170208)
Oh blimey. Forget the Daily Mail for a realistic idea of life in the UK, it's just an awful sensationalist rag and most of what they print bears no resemblance to reality for most people in the UK. I had no idea Sharia Law even existed in the UK, but then I don't read that awful newspaper.

I'd just add that this Sunday is "Visit your Mosque Day" in the UK. Mine is just a 15 minute drive away and we'll be visiting ours.

Visit My Mosque

I've no doubt that on Monday I'll be radicalised.

Editha Feb 5th 2017 8:36 am

Sharia law is not 'allowed', except in the sense that individuals have always had the right to choose a private arbitrator for disputes. So, if Moslems choose to use Sharia courts that is up to them, just as Jews may choose the Beth Din. But, if a couple get divorced in either a Sharia court or Beth Din, although they are divorced in the eyes of their religion, they will still need a civil divorce to be divorced in the eyes of the law.

scot47 Feb 7th 2017 10:11 am

If two members of the Elks or Buffaloes agree to arbitration by the Chief Elk, then that is perfectly valid. So it is with Sharia.

nooks 57 Jun 26th 2017 3:09 pm

any advice re the pets would be welcome.....re transportation, veterinary regulations etc. thanks.

christmasoompa Jun 27th 2017 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by nooks 57 (Post 12280702)
any advice re the pets would be welcome.....re transportation, veterinary regulations etc. thanks.

Please do start your own thread with questions on, this is just an (old) update thread so not the best place to ask.

Thx.

Vinny17 Jul 31st 2017 11:21 pm

Originally Posted by shelley748 (Post 12169058)
he is not too happy about the thought of the UK refugees issues with no go areas and no freedom of speech either..

Shelley748 - If you think Canada is somehow immune to what you think or read about online is happening in the UK - I believe you are gravely mistaken. Canada is so naïve about how open and welcoming they think they are to the exact things that you perceive happening in the UK. The next few decades are going to be frightening in Canada - in particular Ontario. Sharia law, Female genital mutilation, arranged marriages - and as you say - no go areas - that all exists now - it is all going on now, and there is a PM who won't lift a finger to prevent "inclusion". read: votes. The world looks at Canada like the stooge who just does not get it. Many are taking advantage.

I for one am glad the UK has the intelligence resources and the common sense to be thinking about the future. Canada seems bound and determined to run headlong in to disaster - with a moron in the top job that seemingly only worries about what colour socks he is wearing.

aries Aug 6th 2017 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 12170208)

I read a wide variety of newspapers online, from other countries as well, and find that in the UK, the Express is far more sensational than the Mail. But what intrigues me, is that people who say they don't read the so-called rags, know so much about what is printed in them. The Guardian doesn't usually have sensational headlines, but its writers are no less guilty of biased and savage journalism. Has anyone here read The New European or The Canary? They could easily be taken for tabloid editions of the Guardian.

Over the years I've come to the conclusion that the tabloids want to entertain as well as provide information. I used to have a friend in Melbourne who wrote articles about women's soccer. I went to matches with her, but my recollection of the action was so different, we could have been watching matches hundreds of miles apart. I told her this, and she said she wanted to make it more interesting.

As for Sharia Law, I am not convinced it should be allowed to operate in the UK when we have our own laws for the whole community, religion-based justice has never been just. Think of British history when women were burnt to death and Catholic priests were persecuted, we've come a long way since those days. The Daily Mail didn't invent Sharia Law, it merely reports on its consequences.

Novocastrian Aug 7th 2017 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by Vinny17 (Post 12306547)
Shelley748 - If you think Canada is somehow immune to what you think or read about online is happening in the UK - I believe you are gravely mistaken. Canada is so naïve about how open and welcoming they think they are to the exact things that you perceive happening in the UK. The next few decades are going to be frightening in Canada - in particular Ontario. Sharia law, Female genital mutilation, arranged marriages - and as you say - no go areas - that all exists now - it is all going on now, and there is a PM who won't lift a finger to prevent "inclusion". read: votes. The world looks at Canada like the stooge who just does not get it. Many are taking advantage.

I for one am glad the UK has the intelligence resources and the common sense to be thinking about the future. Canada seems bound and determined to run headlong in to disaster - with a moron in the top job that seemingly only worries about what colour socks he is wearing.

Dear Vinny17, you are an idiot.

All the best,

Novo

Vinny17 Aug 21st 2017 11:51 pm

Wow. I'm an idiot. Nice post. Is it because my opinion is different than yours? If you post a lot does that make you correct? Some people live to post on forums. Here is an article from the most left wing paper in Canada, the Toronto Star. Maybe you know it.

https://www.thestar.com/news/fgm/201...in-canada.html

Lion in Winter Aug 22nd 2017 2:02 am

Originally Posted by Vinny17 (Post 12321637)
Wow. I'm an idiot. Nice post. Is it because my opinion is different than yours? If you post a lot does that make you correct? Some people live to post on forums. Here is an article from the most left wing paper in Canada, the Toronto Star. Maybe you know it.

https://www.thestar.com/news/fgm/201...in-canada.html

Your opinion isn't the issue, it's your grasp of facts that's in question.