British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Back Home (https://britishexpats.com/forum/back-home-158/)
-   -   Back 3.5 months after 10 years in Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/back-home-158/back-3-5-months-after-10-years-canada-865961/)

ontario70 May 5th 2016 11:09 am

Re: Back 3.5 months after 10 years in Canada

Hi there we have been in Canada for 6 years and are moving back to UK in a couple months, can someone advise us, we are wondering if we have to resit a test for our drivers licences, we changed over our licences 6 years ago and would like to get our uk licences back we are both in our 40's if we can just move back and send off for areplacement I will be over the moon! Also, you mentioned that you were able to get a mortgage quite quickly is this because you had a large downpayment?

ontario70 May 5th 2016 11:13 am

one more thing, we have two small dogs, how do we go about taking them with us to uK? is it exspensive?

Editha May 5th 2016 11:52 am

I think you'd be better off posting your queries about moving back in the main UK forum, rather than 'back home'. More people will see it and you will get more replies.

You don't have to resit your driving test.

Yes, bringing the pets back will be expensive. Enquire of the airline you are using. There will be vets fees too.

GillyD May 5th 2016 9:47 pm

Hi Ontario 70,
I've been looking into this a lot as I am planning to return next year with two cats. British Airways and Air Canada will both transport your pets for approximately $200 each. They have to be micro-chipped and have all their shots etc... but they get checked by a vet when you land and then you take them straight home, no quarantine. Both the airlines have lots of information about what needs to be done and the timing for everything you need to do, size of crates and so on.

Travelling with pets | Special Assistance | British Airways

Travelling with your pet - aircanada.com

These are great jumping off links. I hope this helps! All the best :thumbsup:
Gilly

burlys May 15th 2016 11:36 pm

Hi Daisymoll,
We are hoping to come back after 20years in Ontario.Have loved it here and don't regret coming but the winters are getting hard .2 or our grown up children have returned to Uk now and we feel we are ready to return .Its nice to hear from people who have made the transition and are happy .
I may be asking for advice in a couple of months !

Ianw7768 Aug 5th 2016 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by daisymoll (Post 11761439)
Well we have been back 3.5 months now after spending 10 years in the GTA (in a very family orientated area).

The only thing I really miss is my friends, salads and wildberry coolers...

We have been really pleasantly surprised at how much we are loving being back (missing friends a lot but we are in a new area), the heritage, the countryside and just the Englishness.

Have four kids and they have settled amazingly well into school, my eldest was even made a prefect after three weeks. Kids have been so friendly to them.

Moving in two weeks to house, we were surprised to be able to get a mortgage so soon.

I do find it hard to overcome the English whinyness and then the battle of people still in Canada not completely understanding your return, I think there is a huge difference between areas in England and experiences definitely depend on that. We are finding it exceptionally friendly here in the West MIdlands, but its noticeabley different in the South East.

Weather has been amazing the last couple of weeks too.

We moved with four kids, a cat and a dog so if you need any help, feel free to ask questions.

Thanks
Daisymoll

After 14yrs in Canada/MB, all my family are in S.Wales and Winters in Manitoba aren't funny, I intend to return back next year.
Any tips on preparations as far as shipping personal belongings and good moving companies would be great.

Good to see your transition has gone well 😀
Regards

michaelinfinisol Aug 8th 2016 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by daisymoll (Post 11761439)
Well we have been back 3.5 months now after spending 10 years in the GTA (in a very family orientated area).

The only thing I really miss is my friends, salads and wildberry coolers...

We have been really pleasantly surprised at how much we are loving being back (missing friends a lot but we are in a new area), the heritage, the countryside and just the Englishness.

Have four kids and they have settled amazingly well into school, my eldest was even made a prefect after three weeks. Kids have been so friendly to them.

Moving in two weeks to house, we were surprised to be able to get a mortgage so soon.

I do find it hard to overcome the English whinyness and then the battle of people still in Canada not completely understanding your return, I think there is a huge difference between areas in England and experiences definitely depend on that. We are finding it exceptionally friendly here in the West MIdlands, but its noticeabley different in the South East.

Weather has been amazing the last couple of weeks too.

We moved with four kids, a cat and a dog so if you need any help, feel free to ask questions.

Thanks
Daisymoll

Hi there - been living in teh US for 20 years - wife is american and we lived in teh UK 15 years prior to emigrating to teh US - would welcome your input on tips and process...

mikelincs Aug 8th 2016 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by michaelinfinisol (Post 12022330)
Hi there - been living in teh US for 20 years - wife is american and we lived in teh UK 15 years prior to emigrating to teh US - would welcome your input on tips and process...

Why didn't she naturalise and get her British Citizenship while she was here? That would have made everything so much easier, She now needs a Spouse visa to move to the UK,

Spouse Immigration-UK : British Expat Wiki

michaelinfinisol Aug 8th 2016 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by mikelincs (Post 12022384)
Why didn't she naturalise and get her British Citizenship while she was here? That would have made everything so much easier, She now needs a Spouse visa to move to the UK,

Spouse Immigration-UK : British Expat Wiki

Hindsight is a wonderful thing - if she already lived and worked in the UK for 15 years doesn't that count? Also our daughter now lives permanently in the UK.

SanDiegogirl Aug 8th 2016 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by michaelinfinisol (Post 12022436)
Hindsight is a wonderful thing - if she already lived and worked in the UK for 15 years doesn't that count? Also our daughter now lives permanently in the UK.

Unfortunately no. If you have been out of the UK for some 20 years you will need to sponsor your wife for a spouse visa in order to live in the UK.

michaelinfinisol Aug 8th 2016 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl (Post 12022454)
Unfortunately no. If you have been out of the UK for some 20 years you will need to sponsor your wife for a spouse visa in order to live in the UK.

thanks!

michaelinfinisol Aug 11th 2016 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by michaelinfinisol (Post 12022455)
thanks!

as a further note - my wife has a UK driving license, her National Health Ins card and her original Visa in an old passport - surely that counts for something?

SanDiegogirl Aug 11th 2016 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by michaelinfinisol (Post 12024544)
as a further note - my wife has a UK driving license, her National Health Ins card and her original Visa in an old passport - surely that counts for something?

No it does not. You have been living in the US for 20 years. If you wish to return to the UK with your US wife then you have to go through the immigration process to sponsor her.

Note, that if you return to the UK and then decide to move back to the US after, say, a couple of years, if YOU have not obtained your US citizenship YOU will need to go through the US immigration process all over again.

michaelinfinisol Aug 11th 2016 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl (Post 12024549)
No it does not. You have been living in the US for 20 years. If you wish to return to the UK with your US wife then you have to go through the immigration process to sponsor her.

Note, that if you return to the UK and then decide to move back to the US after, say, a couple of years, if YOU have not obtained your US citizenship YOU will need to go through the US immigration process all over again.

Blimy, they don't make it easy!

Benson55 Dec 24th 2016 10:29 pm

I can fully understand why you don't miss Canada, horrible place.
I am trying to sell a business so I can move back and get out of this country of high taxes, expensive everything. Canadians are nothing like they portray themselves on the international stage, they are racist, low intelligence, no style, no culture, and sometimes just down right nasty. I know having been here 21 years and hated it for half the time. I made a HUGE mistake of buying a business in a smaller town than Vancouver, WOW THAT REALLY OPENED MY EYES AS TO HOW NASTY THESE PEOPLE ARE.
Why on earth they want to be American is beyond me when America steals the oil and gas and laughs at how stupid Canadians really are.
Can't wait to go home.