British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Back Home (https://britishexpats.com/forum/back-home-158/)
-   -   Back 3.5 months after 10 years in Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/back-home-158/back-3-5-months-after-10-years-canada-865961/)

daisymoll Sep 30th 2015 10:55 am

Back 3.5 months after 10 years in Canada

Well we have been back 3.5 months now after spending 10 years in the GTA (in a very family orientated area).

The only thing I really miss is my friends, salads and wildberry coolers...

We have been really pleasantly surprised at how much we are loving being back (missing friends a lot but we are in a new area), the heritage, the countryside and just the Englishness.

Have four kids and they have settled amazingly well into school, my eldest was even made a prefect after three weeks. Kids have been so friendly to them.

Moving in two weeks to house, we were surprised to be able to get a mortgage so soon.

I do find it hard to overcome the English whinyness and then the battle of people still in Canada not completely understanding your return, I think there is a huge difference between areas in England and experiences definitely depend on that. We are finding it exceptionally friendly here in the West MIdlands, but its noticeabley different in the South East.

Weather has been amazing the last couple of weeks too.

We moved with four kids, a cat and a dog so if you need any help, feel free to ask questions.

Thanks
Daisymoll

curleytops Sep 30th 2015 12:01 pm

Re: Back 3.5 months after 10 years in Canada

Good to hear you're settling in well Daisymoll.I guess we all have a few things we miss but I guess we just learn to find a substitute or make our own. I used to love the Woody's Ice Blueberry coolers in Canada but have never seen any of the Woody's line over here which I found rather odd since it's made here. There are a lot of nice berry ciders out there these days that might help quench your thirst for Wildberry - just think of the fun you can have experimenting. I just try my best to copy salads I used to have and have experimented with making my own dressings as there are not so many commercial dressings available here.I guess there'll always be the whinge and moan factor to cope with here but hey - it wouldn't be England without it. I wouldn't be too concerned about those who don't understand your move - you and your family are happy and that's what's important and if someone else doesn't understand the whys then that's that someone else's problem. It's good to hear your kids are settling in well in school, that's always a big worry.Just wanted to say welcome home and let's hope this glorious autumn weather continues!

NiHao Sep 30th 2015 1:56 pm

Thanks for the update. Good to here that things are going well! Are your children all Primary school or do you have any in Secondary?

daisymoll Sep 30th 2015 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by NiHao (Post 11761590)
Thanks for the update. Good to here that things are going well! Are your children all Primary school or do you have any in Secondary?

I have three in primary school and one in middle school (Year 7), so high school in a lot of places. Getting school places was a definite challenge, but we have ended up with a couple of lovely schools, which took some ringing the local authority and driving around to assess.

All have settled amazingly well....

Editha Oct 1st 2015 7:55 am

Welcome Home from someone who is also ex Canada and ex West Midlands; although despite eight years in Alberta, I have no idea what a 'wildberry cooler' is, or for that matter, what a wildberry is, or a cooler unless it is a prison cell.

robin1234 Oct 1st 2015 5:15 pm

Yup I looked up wildberry in Google and I'm none the wiser. I think you'll find them in the LCBO but no such thing grows on a bush or a tree ??

Pulaski Oct 1st 2015 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by robin1234 (Post 11762547)
Yup I looked up wildberry in Google and I'm none the wiser. I think you'll find them in the LCBO but no such thing grows on a bush or a tree ??

They seem to grow in the marketing department. :rolleyes:

Wild Berry coolers

robin1234 Oct 1st 2015 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 11762556)
They seem to grow in the marketing department. :rolleyes:

Wild Berry coolers

This is what we find.

curleytops Oct 2nd 2015 7:24 am

I guess Wildberry is just a blanket term given to mixed berries like we see "Fruits of the Forest" and the like over here. They had Country Berry coolers in Canada as well. Personally, I love Hedgerow conserve on my crumpets in the morning.

Lorry1 Oct 3rd 2015 10:07 am

Originally Posted by daisymoll (Post 11761439)
Well we have been back 3.5 months now after spending 10 years in the GTA (in a very family orientated area).

The only thing I really miss is my friends, salads and wildberry coolers...

We have been really pleasantly surprised at how much we are loving being back (missing friends a lot but we are in a new area), the heritage, the countryside and just the Englishness.

Have four kids and they have settled amazingly well into school, my eldest was even made a prefect after three weeks. Kids have been so friendly to them.

Moving in two weeks to house, we were surprised to be able to get a mortgage so soon.

I do find it hard to overcome the English whinyness and then the battle of people still in Canada not completely understanding your return, I think there is a huge difference between areas in England and experiences definitely depend on that. We are finding it exceptionally friendly here in the West MIdlands, but its noticeabley different in the South East.

Weather has been amazing the last couple of weeks too.

We moved with four kids, a cat and a dog so if you need any help, feel free to ask questions.

Thanks
Daisymoll

Congrats Daisymoll sounds like you are settling in well. If you only really miss salads and wildberry coolers (I don't know what they are either :lol:) then I pretty much think you will do well here. Friends are a bit tougher I admit but weirdly skype & facetime to my friends in Canada is a lot easier than to my friends here from Canada, if you know what I mean?

Anyway, keep on enjoying the countryside & beautiful buildings :thumbsup:

GillyD Apr 3rd 2016 11:09 pm

Hi DaisyMoll,
Great that your family are doing so well now that your back in the UK. My son and I are planning to move back in about a year and I do have a question for you. I noticed you brought pets back and I have two cats I will be bringing back. How did your cat handle travelling and did you use anything to make your pets drowsy or relaxed? Thanks for any help.
Gilly

Editha Apr 3rd 2016 11:15 pm

I brought 2 cats back from Canada in 2014. The airlines won't allow any tranquillisers. I was told this is because the low air pressure in the cabin, combined with the tranquillisers can be fatal for the animal.

But, both our cats, one of whom was over 20, were fine.

GillyD Apr 3rd 2016 11:59 pm

Thank you so much for your response, Editha. My cats are both under ten years old but it's such a long flight I can't help but worry about their comfort. You've helped put my mind at ease, thank you so much.
Gilly

Bermudashorts Apr 4th 2016 12:17 am

Originally Posted by GillyD (Post 11912828)
Thank you so much for your response, Editha. My cats are both under ten years old but it's such a long flight I can't help but worry about their comfort. You've helped put my mind at ease, thank you so much.
Gilly

We moved two cats to Australia and three cats back from Australia five years later. I guess we don't really know what the flight is like for them, but they all seemed perfectly fine afterwards. A bit disorientated for the first few hours, but then a cat would be a bit disorientated if you moved to a different house down the road so that is not necessarily due to the flight.

I expect they just curl up and go to sleep for most of the journey. No as mentioned you cannot use anything to sedate them on a flight.

GillyD Apr 4th 2016 1:12 am

Thanks so much, Bermudashorts. Again very reassuring to hear this. I know our one cat , the young one will be fine, he always is, but my older one is a bit, shall we say high-strung, he's the one I really worry about. He's only eight years old now, but your kind reassurances have me very relieved. He's not very frail, just a bit of a nutter when it comes to change. Knowing that your cats were only disoriented means he will probably freak out for a few hours, then he'll be back to his usual I'm mad at you for changing my world for a few days and then back to his old cuddly self. You really have helped so thank you so much, I really appreciate your comments.
Gilly