5 years Britiversary!

Old Jan 11th 2021, 12:45 am
Just Joined

Paisley is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 5 years Britiversary!

Originally Posted by Lorry1
Was actually 13th July so I'm posting a bit late.

Well, hello to old and new members. I barely come on here anymore as life is just busy. Just have to say, I have absolutely no regrets returning to UK. I can't believe 5 years have passed, time has just flown by.
I felt instantly at home. Didn't at all think are we doing the right thing.
We rented a house initially for 2 years and then bought our own home in 2015. We live in a nice area surrounded by fields, which is great for walking the dog totally off lead.
Hubby still working in London which he is tired of now with the commute. He plans to continue another 5 years or so while youngest finishes school and college, then we will downsize and he will work more local.
I am hoping to start my own business, running a doggy day care. This is new to me as I have been a travel agent for most of my life and currently work at home selling cruises. I just feel its time for a new career now kids have grown.

We spent 6 years in Nova Scotia, Canada. I instigated the return home as my homesickness was just so bad. No-one else in the family wanted to return but acknowledged how unhappy I was.
I was great for the 1st year, then it started creeping in. We stayed for a further 5 years in which time I really tried. We did up the house, I loved my job, but it wasn't enough. Once eldest graduated, we were on the ship home.

We, hubby, youngest and I, returned to NS last year as my eldest daughter, although initially returning home with us in 2013, returned in late 2015 to try and build a life with a man she really liked. We were all apprehensive, but visiting NS was actually good therapy. Seeing friends again and being a tourist was great.

Life didn't work out for my eldest and she returned back to England early this year, which was amazing. We had actually been talking about living life 6 months in England, 6 months in NS, but unless my youngest returns there, we will not be doing now.

Anyway, as I said, absolutely no regrets here. Love the short hops to Europe that living here allows. Love the countryside, the variety in landscape. The oldness of everything. People crack me up. You can't beat the British sense of humour. Love BBC dramas and TV in general is better, although we do tend to still watch a lot of Netflix.
Summer so far has been stinking hot. The grass is yellow. A weird thing is happening today though...water is falling from the sky.

Good luck to all those returning, just do it!
great write up. We have been talking about moving back to the UK from Sydney to retire for 5 years. The time has now arrived and we are hoping to be home for 2022 NYE. Can I ask if you moved back to your origins or tried somewhere new?
Old Oct 25th 2021, 12:24 am
Just Joined

LauraKnight24 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 5 years Britiversary!

Originally Posted by Paisley
great write up. We have been talking about moving back to the UK from Sydney to retire for 5 years. The time has now arrived and we are hoping to be home for 2022 NYE. Can I ask if you moved back to your origins or tried somewhere new?
Hi Paisley,
I'm wondering if your name is your origin. I'm from that part of Scotland and have been away for 17 years. Last 10 in Auckland NZ and am thinking of cashing in on Akl House prices and moving back to the West of Scotland. Have 2 young kids and just don't know if it would be a good move. Also targeting 2022.