Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Back Home
Reload this Page >

3 weeks back - Initial Observations / story

3 weeks back - Initial Observations / story

Old Sep 18th 2018, 1:34 pm
UK spouse visa

movingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nice
Default 3 weeks back - Initial Observations / story

I was away 9 years in Texas, been back in UK 3 weeks now and would like to share my observations / story.

After the nightmarish stress of the spouse visa and selling up in Texas the first week was bliss! Lovely weather and a feeling of complete joy that i am actually home, around family and friends. The couple of weeks after that i have to say i'm still in complete bliss! I made the right choice i feel.

Week 1 - after collecting my wife's BRP card the day we got back, i managed to buy a car, get it insured pretty cheaply (NFU Mutual fyi), and view some apartments, signed up to rent one of them and it took about a week for all the referencing to come through because i'd been away so long. Seems my credit score was still decent, i did keep a UK bank account open while away so was able to get a mobile phone contract etc.

Week 2 sent the kids and wife up to see grandparents (YOU HAVE NO IDEA HOW GOOD THAT FELT!!!) after having lived with no family abroad for 9 years - i'm now down south in a B&B until the move in date for our apartment comes around. Inconvenient yes but i don't care because i am home!

Week 3 - missing kids and wife but b&b still fine - we move in next week to our apartment

Main observations.... nobody eats out! Texas it was every lunch very cheap so now i'm back on sandwiches for lunch. The culture - this is what i missed, joined the national trust and now spending weekends walking around stately homes etc, i didn't ever do this when i left as a 28 year old.

Not all plain sailing, internet company in USA still billing me, Chase bank calling to ask why my address is now in UK, all manageable compared to the spouse visa absolute hell!

Lots left to do, need to transfer remaining money, my shipment (Car and furniture) is on the way and due mid October, need to figure out how to transfer social security credit over here and have i'm sure a complicated duel country tax return coming in 2019 but i'm just overwhelmingly happy i am here, there were some DARK days waiting for the spouse visa after having already sold up on the assumption it would be approved. Started collecting items for the FLR already

Anyway - Cheers!
Old Sep 22nd 2018, 10:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 3 weeks back - Initial Observations / story

Do you have a job lined up?
Old Sep 23rd 2018, 6:32 am
UK spouse visa

movingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nice

Originally Posted by fulwood
Do you have a job lined up?
yes, fortunately the company I worked for in USA let me transfer back
Old Sep 29th 2018, 2:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

Your observations were pretty spot on for us too, except we moved back into our old home. We hardly eat out, too expensive, but picnics, National Trust cream tea and the odd pub lunch is doable! This is the place where I just feel so at home!
Old Dec 10th 2018, 9:48 am
UK spouse visa

Thought i'd post an update - been back 4 months now.

Most logistical stuff sorted out now - we got our shipment, have since closed all credit accounts in USA - although i was being chased for a medical bill which i could not pay coming from a UK I.P address, so i had to get a VPN setup just to pay that.

We surrendered our green cards which was pretty straight forwards

Been setting up bills in both our names looking forwards to the FLR in a couple years and making sure i'm taking lots of family photos which i struggled to scrape together for my wife's spouse visa first time.

Major item remaining to sort out - Tax! 2019 i have to file a dual UK and USA return - may post separately - i don't want to have to pay someone but it may be inevitable

So all happy here, wife enjoying it so far!
Old Dec 10th 2018, 10:32 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

No idea what an FLR is but tiz a lovely wee happy update.
Old Dec 11th 2018, 7:17 am
UK spouse visa

Originally Posted by BEVS
No idea what an FLR is but tiz a lovely wee happy update.
Hi - by FLR i meant "Further Leave to Remain" which would be my wife's first spouse visa renewal in 2021. When i was doing her original application my gosh did i wish i had all my paperwork arranged (i didn't - it took me many through the night sessions to do it!) this time i'll be a well oiled machine hopefully!
Old Dec 18th 2018, 2:32 pm
Banned

UkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond repute

What a wonderful return story. May I ask a few questions?

Is your wife American born, and how is she adjusting to living in a different culture? Are the children feeling at home yet? There is usually an adjustment period of time after packing up and moving to a new location before everyone feel a high level of comfort. Please keep that in mind as you guys move forward. May I ask what considerations did you look at in picking your area of the UK?
Congrats on your move home!
Old Dec 18th 2018, 2:52 pm
UK spouse visa

Originally Posted by UkWinds5353
What a wonderful return story. May I ask a few questions?

Is your wife American born, and how is she adjusting to living in a different culture? Are the children feeling at home yet? There is usually an adjustment period of time after packing up and moving to a new location before everyone feel a high level of comfort. Please keep that in mind as you guys move forward. May I ask what considerations did you look at in picking your area of the UK?
Congrats on your move home!
Hi there - Wifey is Trinidadian but we both lived in the USA for almost 10 years together - she is adjusting pretty well i would say, only thing i could say she doesn't like is that she can't drive yet, i am getting her insured on the car in the new year and she will need to take the test next year too so hopefully she can be driving again soon because that gives her true independence during the day while i am at work. The older kid loves it so far - there is so much to do here for him where previously the best i had on a typical 100 degree day in Houston was to take them to the mall. The little kid really just wants milk at this stage lol i don't think she will remember much of the USA. Location wise - rough area was determined by the location of the office i work at, more precise area was determined by where we could find a good pre-school/ nursery and where was well connected for trains etc.
Old Dec 18th 2018, 11:42 pm
Banned

UkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by movingtolakes
Hi there - Wifey is Trinidadian but we both lived in the USA for almost 10 years together - she is adjusting pretty well i would say, only thing i could say she doesn't like is that she can't drive yet, i am getting her insured on the car in the new year and she will need to take the test next year too so hopefully she can be driving again soon because that gives her true independence during the day while i am at work. The older kid loves it so far - there is so much to do here for him where previously the best i had on a typical 100 degree day in Houston was to take them to the mall. The little kid really just wants milk at this stage lol i don't think she will remember much of the USA. Location wise - rough area was determined by the location of the office i work at, more precise area was determined by where we could find a good pre-school/ nursery and where was well connected for trains etc.
Hi

Thank you for your post and congrats on you and your family making it home. I know it has to be beyond exciting to be home, but also to have your family there with you. So many new beginnings in front of you, and many you will see through your own children's eyes. I'm sure it's going to be a big help to have extended family around you and your wife. It's a very different dynamic to live far away from parents and siblings. Having them nearby is going to be a big help for your wife's assimilation and for your peace of mind. All the best to you and yours.
Old Dec 19th 2018, 11:52 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Have you both registered to vote?
Old Dec 19th 2018, 12:07 pm
UK spouse visa

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Have you both registered to vote?
I certainly have, i'm not sure if my wife can under a BRP spouse visa? She is getting her N.I number next month
Old Dec 19th 2018, 4:46 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

I certainly have, i'm not sure if my wife can under a BRP spouse visa? She is getting her N.I number next month
Yep, she’s a Commonwealth citizen resident in the UK.
Old Dec 20th 2018, 1:46 pm
UK spouse visa

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Yep, she’s a Commonwealth citizen resident in the UK.
Cool - thanks for the info i'll get her registered
Old Dec 20th 2018, 4:36 pm

Cool - thanks for the info i'll get her registered
No worries. As well as giving her the franchise in these turbulent times it’ll also help to build up a credit history in the UK.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.