British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Back Home (https://britishexpats.com/forum/back-home-158/)
-   -   3 months in. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/back-home-158/3-months-860232/)

britwhore Jun 16th 2015 6:45 pm

3 months in.

Hi chaps,

Hope everyone is well.

We've been in our new place since March 16th so today marks the 3 month anniversary - I'm not counting the 2 weeks with in-laws......I'm actually trying not to remember those!! HAHAHA!!! Actually it wasn't too bad!

I can thankfully say that my husband has been SUPER busy with his new job (yay!!) and he's loving it. The weather has been ridiculously good. The house we paid a year up front for (without actually seeing it) has been fantastic. The letting agents have been amazing. The location is perfect.

My dogs survived the flight from Los Angeles although the eldest one is really starting to feel his age now. Poor thing. Sadly my husband's step-mum passed away last week completely out of the blue. It's been so good for him to be around for his Dad.

My Mum has been visiting for the past month from New York and really doesn't want to leave. Her and I have been going for 4 mile hikes in the countryside. The scenery is breathtaking.

The food, the countryside, family, friends....THE FOOD.....it's all been a joy. Definitely made the right decision. The last time we came over everything felt like a struggle even though I loved living here. This time it just feels......right! Does that make sense?

Hope everyone is well and enjoying the summer :)

Editha Jun 16th 2015 9:58 pm

Re: 3 months in.

I'm glad you are having a good time. Thanks for the update.

Pulaski Jun 17th 2015 12:23 am

So you haven't started planning your return to the US yet then? ;)

Snap Shot Jun 17th 2015 1:25 am

Fantastic update.

You paid A YEAR'S RENT in advance ? Phew !

Glad it's all worked out for you.

I hope my story will be like yours should we ever return to the UK.

britwhore Jun 17th 2015 7:25 am

Actually looking into to renouncing my citizenship....so no return for me.

We have 3 dogs and at the time neither of us were employed (well technically I am but they don't think my job is a real job) so I handed over a years rent. That way no questions and we didn't lose the house that we wanted.

Lorry1 Jun 17th 2015 7:46 am

Glad you are settled in and staying for good this time Britwhore.

I really hope it all works out for you and you continue loving being home.

Take care :)

themajor Jun 17th 2015 7:50 am

I can understand the years rent up front. When we returned to UK from Saudi, we had to pay 6 months up front as no one was prepared to take on a unemployed person. We were soon back working though. However we just could not settle and off we went overseas again.

So pleased that you have settled. Just wait for the travel bug to to bite you again:unsure:

morayeel Jun 20th 2015 4:13 am

Glad you are settled and enjoying life.. Thanks for the update.

Pica Jun 20th 2015 12:50 pm

So.... why is the food so good? Just interested.

NiHao Jun 22nd 2015 4:53 pm

britwhore,

So lovely to hear how happy you are! I'm really glad that the move back is working well for you and your husband and doggies!

Love these updates :)

quoll Jun 26th 2015 6:16 am

So glad to hear that this move seems more positive for you! Long may the stars continue to align for you!

brits1 Jun 27th 2015 7:46 am

Well done, (sorry to hear about your SMIL) its always lovely to hear of people being happy.

Pombat Jun 27th 2015 3:49 pm

Glad to hear things are working out well this time around!

lf1 Jun 28th 2015 9:31 am

BW. So pleased to hear that thing are going well for you and hubby.

holly_1948 Jul 4th 2015 2:39 am

Originally Posted by themajor (Post 11677199)
I can understand the years rent up front. When we returned to UK from Saudi, we had to pay 6 months up front as no one was prepared to take on a unemployed person. We were soon back working though. However we just could not settle and off we went overseas again.
So pleased that you have settled. Just wait for the travel bug to to bite you again:unsure:

In some parts of the world incurable travellers settle for seasonal residence. Obviously that can't work for everyone, but for some it can who are in seasonal lines of work or (semi) retired.

Now for many places there is any amount of information including forums for fellow travellers. For example Florida and Michigan, Florida and Canada, New York and Puerto Rico, California and Ecuador.

And there must be lots of Brits doing England and Spain, or Scotland and France, etc. But no only forum or online group or big information source that I can find. Not for seasonal residents. Even such basic things as car insurance by the month.

britwhore Oct 15th 2015 4:44 pm

How are we into the middle of October?!?

Well it's been an interesting few months. Husband lost his job, we lost his Step-Mum and we had to say goodnight to our oldest dog all in the space of about 6 weeks! :(

It's true what they say- what doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Or maybe we're just too pigheaded to quit!!

So it hasn't been easy but we're plodding along. Husband just got offered a new job down the road (literally...the end of the street!) for about a 3rd of what he usually makes but at least it's something and will hopefully cover his half of the rent and bills....hopefully. It could also be a whole new career for him so we're remaining positive. I've been getting work here and there which has been fun.

The summer was gorgeous although August was a bit wet. Now autumn is here in full force and it's been so nice to see the changing leaves, feel the cold air and smell the log burners. It's also been nice having to wear layers!!!!

Passed my driving test. Automatic only but that's fine with me. Due to a dodgy hip and shoulder I just couldn't envision driving stick over here. Drove a little Ford Fiesta around for 6 months and HATED it!!! I'm sorry if you have one! I have nothing against the car but it just wasn't me. I've spent the last 10 years driving MINI's! Managed to sell the Fiesta and buy a MINI Clubman for the same price so car payments stayed the same. We only have one car as we live right next to the train station into London so it's mostly for fun day trips to National Trust properties and seeing family. The poor thing spends more time in the garage!

We're now down to two dogs and enjoying spending as much time with them as possible. They have been enjoying their daily walks (unless it's raining!) in the park and fields. We lost 2 dogs in less than 8 months and that really did hurt :(

Now I'm trying to organize getting my Mum over here. She lived here for 30 years and had ILR in her passport but that expired. We've been told the only way she can move back is to either invest £200,000 in a business (!!) or get offered a job. Luckily she's a nurse and we ALWAYS need nurses!!! Today the government put nurses back onto the Shortage Occupation List (thankfully) so if she gets offered a job with a UK employer her visa will be fast tracked. Fingers crossed she'll be over here by the spring.

Hope everyone is well. :thumbsup:

cheers Oct 15th 2015 6:10 pm

[QUOTE=britwhore;11772640]
Now I'm trying to organize getting my Mum over here. She lived here for 30 years and had ILR in her passport but that expired. We've been told the only way she can move back is to either invest £200,000 in a business (!!) or get offered a job. Luckily she's a nurse and we ALWAYS need nurses!!! Today the government put nurses back onto the Shortage Occupation List (thankfully) so if she gets offered a job with a UK employer her visa will be fast tracked. Fingers crossed she'll be over here by the spring.

I appreciate your informative post.:goodpost:
Where may I ask was your mom born?
Are you getting any film work?
Lets hear more from you!

Cheers

britwhore Oct 15th 2015 6:18 pm

My Mum was born in Guyana, South America but moved to the UK in the late 60's, married my Dad and worked for the NHS for nearly 30 years! As I said she (stupidly!) never took citizenship and left the UK in 1997. She's now a U.S. Citizen (lives in NYC) Surprisingly, even though she's 67 the NHS have said they are not concerned about her age and as long as she meets the requirements to reinstate her nursing license (350 hours of recent nursing work and 35 hours of training credits) she can work here. We just need to get an employer to sponsor her for the Tier 2 visa.

No film work but commercials and video game stuff! Well I did book a film but the script got rewritten and my part was written out - all part of this crazy industry sadly!!!

cheers Oct 15th 2015 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by britwhore (Post 11772723)
No film work but commercials and video game stuff! Well I did book a film but the script got rewritten and my part was written out - all part of this crazy industry sadly!!!

When I made my film debut as an extra in San Francisco (location) I was on their case to get paid (minimum wage job). Other extras I suppose were glad to be in the film and work for nothing, not me. I did get paid eventually and got the free grub from the "roach coach" when filming. I think it was a made for TV 'filum'

I would be interested to know where you live in England because you say you live in a house that is close to the train station. Lovely! and you get to go on those 4 mile walks!! Heaven!

Cheers

britwhore Oct 15th 2015 6:37 pm

I live just outside the M25 in Surrey/Kent border. Get into the city in 40 mins :)

cheers Oct 15th 2015 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by britwhore (Post 11772744)
I live just outside the M25 in Surrey/Kent border. Get into the city in 40 mins :)

When we were in England in 2013 we found a nice new subdivision outside Maidstone, Hollingbourne but the homes have all sold I think. I like your area.

DW likes the Cotswolds best. We are married 49 years today, our anniversary, so we will keep looking there.

Cheers

fulwood Oct 15th 2015 8:59 pm

Cheers congratulations to you and your wife. 49 years is a long time! I won't tell you how old I was when you got married cos you'll feel old! Britwhore - do you have annual membership to National Trust? I think someone posted a while back and it's 100 quid for 2 people and you can pay monthly (just checked). If you go a lot might save a bit of money. Anyway I'm a bossy bugger but thought I'd just mention it.

britwhore Oct 16th 2015 11:19 am

Congrats Cheers!!!

Yes we have an annual membership. We got 25% off so it was £75 for the year. We've used it so much that we've got more than our moneys worth!!! Next year we'll do English Heritage I think and then back to NT. I like to switch it up!

Perth Oct 16th 2015 11:50 am

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 11772780)
When we were in England in 2013 we found a nice new subdivision outside Maidstone, Hollingbourne but the homes have all sold I think. I like your area.

DW likes the Cotswolds best. We are married 49 years today, our anniversary, so we will keep looking there.

Cheers

Happy anniversary to you and Mrs. Cheers :thumbsup:

cheers Oct 16th 2015 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by Perth (Post 11773222)
Happy anniversary to you and Mrs. Cheers :thumbsup:

Thank you.

A day late but we are going out to the Red Lobster tonight. Some of you might be familiar with the restaurant chain here in the US

So we went out this morning and bought a new house that is to be built. this will keep me occupied while I wait to return to England.

The house is quite posh.

We needed to downsize.

Cheers

Perth Oct 17th 2015 10:30 am

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 11773542)
Thank you.

A day late but we are going out to the Red Lobster tonight. Some of you might be familiar with the restaurant chain here in the US

So we went out this morning and bought a new house that is to be built. this will keep me occupied while I wait to return to England.

The house is quite posh.

We needed to downsize.

Cheers

Interesting development. So I suppose you won't be returning anytime soon? Anyway, congratulations on your new home :)

cheers Oct 17th 2015 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by Perth (Post 11773722)
Interesting development. So I suppose you won't be returning anytime soon? Anyway, congratulations on your new home :)

My dream is to spend my time between the two continents.
June to September or longer in the UK.

Lorry1 Oct 24th 2015 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 11773852)
My dream is to spend my time between the two continents.
June to September or longer in the UK.

Depending on where you live in the US, I would do March/April to August in England...spring is the best season :)

Rajanmodaley Aug 11th 2016 8:57 am

been living in Goa for d last 5 years have not returned home to d UK once since then. All this while I was dreaming of a hop skip & jump type on lifestyle, hop over to Spain, skip to Goa and jump back home to the UK, depending on the season. Alas hopping to Spain is not an option anymore and jumping back to Britain is scary....prospects of a carefree life as in the past both in Spain and Britain seem daunting. Here in Goa it truly is peaceful...

themajor Aug 11th 2016 9:18 am

Living in Cyprus and really enjoying the life style. Have been here since 2004. We fly off for holidays but now with all the immigrants and terrorist threats it can be difficult to find nice quite and cool places to go to. Maybe Switzerland this year.

Mallory Aug 13th 2016 2:05 am

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 11773542)
Thank you.

The house is quite posh.

We needed to downsize.

Cheers

Wow, you were married on my birthday! I'll have to remember on my next birthday that it's your 50th. :starsmile:

Can we get a pic of your new house?