3 months in.

Old Oct 15th 2015, 4:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

britwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 3 months in.

How are we into the middle of October?!?

Well it's been an interesting few months. Husband lost his job, we lost his Step-Mum and we had to say goodnight to our oldest dog all in the space of about 6 weeks!

It's true what they say- what doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Or maybe we're just too pigheaded to quit!!

So it hasn't been easy but we're plodding along. Husband just got offered a new job down the road (literally...the end of the street!) for about a 3rd of what he usually makes but at least it's something and will hopefully cover his half of the rent and bills....hopefully. It could also be a whole new career for him so we're remaining positive. I've been getting work here and there which has been fun.

The summer was gorgeous although August was a bit wet. Now autumn is here in full force and it's been so nice to see the changing leaves, feel the cold air and smell the log burners. It's also been nice having to wear layers!!!!

Passed my driving test. Automatic only but that's fine with me. Due to a dodgy hip and shoulder I just couldn't envision driving stick over here. Drove a little Ford Fiesta around for 6 months and HATED it!!! I'm sorry if you have one! I have nothing against the car but it just wasn't me. I've spent the last 10 years driving MINI's! Managed to sell the Fiesta and buy a MINI Clubman for the same price so car payments stayed the same. We only have one car as we live right next to the train station into London so it's mostly for fun day trips to National Trust properties and seeing family. The poor thing spends more time in the garage!

We're now down to two dogs and enjoying spending as much time with them as possible. They have been enjoying their daily walks (unless it's raining!) in the park and fields. We lost 2 dogs in less than 8 months and that really did hurt

Now I'm trying to organize getting my Mum over here. She lived here for 30 years and had ILR in her passport but that expired. We've been told the only way she can move back is to either invest £200,000 in a business (!!) or get offered a job. Luckily she's a nurse and we ALWAYS need nurses!!! Today the government put nurses back onto the Shortage Occupation List (thankfully) so if she gets offered a job with a UK employer her visa will be fast tracked. Fingers crossed she'll be over here by the spring.

Hope everyone is well.

Last edited by britwhore; Oct 15th 2015 at 4:46 pm. Reason: spelling!
Old Oct 15th 2015, 6:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=britwhore;11772640]
Now I'm trying to organize getting my Mum over here. She lived here for 30 years and had ILR in her passport but that expired. We've been told the only way she can move back is to either invest £200,000 in a business (!!) or get offered a job. Luckily she's a nurse and we ALWAYS need nurses!!! Today the government put nurses back onto the Shortage Occupation List (thankfully) so if she gets offered a job with a UK employer her visa will be fast tracked. Fingers crossed she'll be over here by the spring.

I appreciate your informative post.
Where may I ask was your mom born?
Are you getting any film work?
Lets hear more from you!

Cheers

Last edited by cheers; Oct 15th 2015 at 6:16 pm.
Old Oct 15th 2015, 6:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

britwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond repute

My Mum was born in Guyana, South America but moved to the UK in the late 60's, married my Dad and worked for the NHS for nearly 30 years! As I said she (stupidly!) never took citizenship and left the UK in 1997. She's now a U.S. Citizen (lives in NYC) Surprisingly, even though she's 67 the NHS have said they are not concerned about her age and as long as she meets the requirements to reinstate her nursing license (350 hours of recent nursing work and 35 hours of training credits) she can work here. We just need to get an employer to sponsor her for the Tier 2 visa.

No film work but commercials and video game stuff! Well I did book a film but the script got rewritten and my part was written out - all part of this crazy industry sadly!!!
Old Oct 15th 2015, 6:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britwhore
No film work but commercials and video game stuff! Well I did book a film but the script got rewritten and my part was written out - all part of this crazy industry sadly!!!
When I made my film debut as an extra in San Francisco (location) I was on their case to get paid (minimum wage job). Other extras I suppose were glad to be in the film and work for nothing, not me. I did get paid eventually and got the free grub from the "roach coach" when filming. I think it was a made for TV 'filum'

I would be interested to know where you live in England because you say you live in a house that is close to the train station. Lovely! and you get to go on those 4 mile walks!! Heaven!

Cheers
Old Oct 15th 2015, 6:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

I live just outside the M25 in Surrey/Kent border. Get into the city in 40 mins
Old Oct 15th 2015, 7:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by britwhore
I live just outside the M25 in Surrey/Kent border. Get into the city in 40 mins
When we were in England in 2013 we found a nice new subdivision outside Maidstone, Hollingbourne but the homes have all sold I think. I like your area.

DW likes the Cotswolds best. We are married 49 years today, our anniversary, so we will keep looking there.

Cheers
Old Oct 15th 2015, 8:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers congratulations to you and your wife. 49 years is a long time! I won't tell you how old I was when you got married cos you'll feel old! Britwhore - do you have annual membership to National Trust? I think someone posted a while back and it's 100 quid for 2 people and you can pay monthly (just checked). If you go a lot might save a bit of money. Anyway I'm a bossy bugger but thought I'd just mention it.
Old Oct 16th 2015, 11:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Congrats Cheers!!!

Yes we have an annual membership. We got 25% off so it was £75 for the year. We've used it so much that we've got more than our moneys worth!!! Next year we'll do English Heritage I think and then back to NT. I like to switch it up!
Old Oct 16th 2015, 11:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
When we were in England in 2013 we found a nice new subdivision outside Maidstone, Hollingbourne but the homes have all sold I think. I like your area.

DW likes the Cotswolds best. We are married 49 years today, our anniversary, so we will keep looking there.

Cheers
Happy anniversary to you and Mrs. Cheers
Old Oct 16th 2015, 9:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Perth
Happy anniversary to you and Mrs. Cheers
Thank you.

A day late but we are going out to the Red Lobster tonight. Some of you might be familiar with the restaurant chain here in the US

So we went out this morning and bought a new house that is to be built. this will keep me occupied while I wait to return to England.

The house is quite posh.

We needed to downsize.

Cheers
Old Oct 17th 2015, 10:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you.

A day late but we are going out to the Red Lobster tonight. Some of you might be familiar with the restaurant chain here in the US

So we went out this morning and bought a new house that is to be built. this will keep me occupied while I wait to return to England.

The house is quite posh.

We needed to downsize.

Cheers
Interesting development. So I suppose you won't be returning anytime soon? Anyway, congratulations on your new home
Old Oct 17th 2015, 5:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Perth
Interesting development. So I suppose you won't be returning anytime soon? Anyway, congratulations on your new home
My dream is to spend my time between the two continents.
June to September or longer in the UK.
Old Oct 24th 2015, 2:38 pm
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

My dream is to spend my time between the two continents.
June to September or longer in the UK.
Depending on where you live in the US, I would do March/April to August in England...spring is the best season
Old Aug 11th 2016, 8:57 am
Just Joined

Rajanmodaley is an unknown quantity at this point

been living in Goa for d last 5 years have not returned home to d UK once since then. All this while I was dreaming of a hop skip & jump type on lifestyle, hop over to Spain, skip to Goa and jump back home to the UK, depending on the season. Alas hopping to Spain is not an option anymore and jumping back to Britain is scary....prospects of a carefree life as in the past both in Spain and Britain seem daunting. Here in Goa it truly is peaceful...
Old Aug 11th 2016, 9:18 am
BE Forum Addict

themajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond repute

Living in Cyprus and really enjoying the life style. Have been here since 2004. We fly off for holidays but now with all the immigrants and terrorist threats it can be difficult to find nice quite and cool places to go to. Maybe Switzerland this year.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.