British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Back Home (https://britishexpats.com/forum/back-home-158/)
-   -   2 years, where did that go ? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/back-home-158/2-years-where-did-go-840435/)

chris955 Aug 7th 2014 11:46 am

2 years, where did that go ?

Well I say 2 years it was actually 2 years in April but yes where does the time go ? The first year wasnt the easiest even though we had our own house, the kids were well settled and things were dropping nicely into place. The second year has been MUCH easier and we are all extremely settled and barely think about Australia during our day to day life. The hard part is that I do love Australia or at least parts of it, especially obviously friends and family but it just didnt give us what we wanted.
I was warned about life back here and quite honestly expected to come back to somewhere akin to Gaza only to find that life for the majority wasnt bad at all and this country has no problems that every other Western nation has. The streets arent covered in dog poo and litter, there arent gangs on every corner, everyone isnt unemployed and living in poverty.
England is a beautiful country and we are fortunate to live in an especially beautiful part of it.
We are better off not only financially but also mentally and in ways that cant be measured.
My advise to anyone considering moving back is to disregard 90% of the nonsense you will hear, this is very much still a vibrant happening country with lots of opportunities. I am sorry it hasnt worked out for some but that is expected really, the trick is not to let those people drag you down. It really isnt even close to being as bad as some would have us believe :lol:
We wouldnt have bought our kids here if we thought they wouldnt have a future in this country.
As far as life here, we find food is cheaper and better quality and there is also a much greater range and choice.
Some things are more, we pay more council tax but we live in a nicer house in a nicer area so that is expected.
Car and home insurance for us is noticeably cheaper, that wont be the case for everyone of course.
The people are lovely, friendly, cheerful and helpful.
Anyway that is just the potted version of the last 2 years. ;)

morayeel Aug 7th 2014 4:15 pm

Re: 2 years, where did that go ?

:goodpost:

chris955 Aug 7th 2014 6:55 pm

Thank you ;)

daisymoll Aug 7th 2014 11:17 pm

Great post and so good to hear, you are definitely right, the way people go on, both expats here in Canada and people at home, you would really think it was an awful country!!!

I often find myself thinking, it can't really be that bad can it??????

quoll Aug 8th 2014 5:51 am

Time flies when you're having fun! We were down in your part of the world the other day and my very Aussie DH, upon going over the crest of a hill and looking down into a valley said "oh wow, look at that! Isn't it beautiful!" And it was! The beauty of this country and it's "buzz" never ceases to amaze me!

I'm so glad it's worked out for you and yours!

Lorry1 Aug 8th 2014 10:29 am

Nice post, Chris!

I agree with all you said as it is the same for us.

Mentally and financially I am in a much better place :)

I know that isn't the case for all who return and can really appreciate that. It is a shame but we all have to do what makes us happy and what is best for us individually. Not one size fits all!

Heres to another 2, and many more years :drinkwine:

chris955 Aug 8th 2014 10:48 am

Originally Posted by daisymoll (Post 11361983)
Great post and so good to hear, you are definitely right, the way people go on, both expats here in Canada and people at home, you would really think it was an awful country!!!

I often find myself thinking, it can't really be that bad can it??????

Thanks. Yes I can understand it with expats as many like to justify their move and the easiest way to do that is to make yourself believe the country you left is rubbish.

chris955 Aug 8th 2014 10:51 am

Originally Posted by quoll (Post 11362194)
Time flies when you're having fun! We were down in your part of the world the other day and my very Aussie DH, upon going over the crest of a hill and looking down into a valley said "oh wow, look at that! Isn't it beautiful!" And it was! The beauty of this country and it's "buzz" never ceases to amaze me!

I'm so glad it's worked out for you and yours!

I'm not surprised as it really is a beautiful part of the country, we are constantly coming across another road we hadnt been down before and spotting another lovely old country pub.
Yes it has most definitely worked out for us and I make no apologies for wanting to spread the word. :thumbsup:

chris955 Aug 8th 2014 10:54 am

Originally Posted by Lorry1 (Post 11362433)
Nice post, Chris!

I agree with all you said as it is the same for us.

Mentally and financially I am in a much better place :)

I know that isn't the case for all who return and can really appreciate that. It is a shame but we all have to do what makes us happy and what is best for us individually. Not one size fits all!

Heres to another 2, and many more years :drinkwine:

Thank you, yes just such a better place for us all round.
Yes its a shame it doesnt work out for everyone but sometimes you need to give it more time.

spouse of scouse Aug 8th 2014 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by chris955 (Post 11361333)
Well I say 2 years it was actually 2 years in April but yes where does the time go ? The first year wasnt the easiest even though we had our own house, the kids were well settled and things were dropping nicely into place. The second year has been MUCH easier and we are all extremely settled and barely think about Australia during our day to day life. The hard part is that I do love Australia or at least parts of it, especially obviously friends and family but it just didnt give us what we wanted.
I was warned about life back here and quite honestly expected to come back to somewhere akin to Gaza only to find that life for the majority wasnt bad at all and this country has no problems that every other Western nation has. The streets arent covered in dog poo and litter, there arent gangs on every corner, everyone isnt unemployed and living in poverty.
England is a beautiful country and we are fortunate to live in an especially beautiful part of it.
We are better off not only financially but also mentally and in ways that cant be measured.
My advise to anyone considering moving back is to disregard 90% of the nonsense you will hear, this is very much still a vibrant happening country with lots of opportunities. I am sorry it hasnt worked out for some but that is expected really, the trick is not to let those people drag you down. It really isnt even close to being as bad as some would have us believe :lol:
We wouldnt have bought our kids here if we thought they wouldnt have a future in this country.
As far as life here, we find food is cheaper and better quality and there is also a much greater range and choice.
Some things are more, we pay more council tax but we live in a nicer house in a nicer area so that is expected.
Car and home insurance for us is noticeably cheaper, that wont be the case for everyone of course.
The people are lovely, friendly, cheerful and helpful.
Anyway that is just the potted version of the last 2 years. ;)

Lovely post Chris and it's great that you and your family are so happy :starsmile:

I'm really looking forward to moving to the UK to begin my first ever expat experience.

chris955 Aug 8th 2014 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse (Post 11362528)
Lovely post Chris and it's great that you and your family are so happy :starsmile:

I'm really looking forward to moving to the UK to begin my first ever expat experience.

Thank you, it was a real culture shock from suburban Brisbane to rural England but a very nice culture shock :thumbup:

You will love it ;)

between two worlds Aug 8th 2014 6:45 pm

Thanks Chris, great post, so encouraging for people thinking of moving back to hear this.

I have been back a few months now and am also very happy indeed to be back home.

feelbritish Aug 8th 2014 8:29 pm

Wonderful that it has worked out so well for you. Hoping we can also settle into our old town happily. I do believe however it is important that people understand that those who have settled back so well have luckily had the funds to do so or come to good jobs or to a comfortable retirement. It makes a huge difference to your settlement!

morayeel Aug 9th 2014 4:08 am

When I return it will be under different circumstances.. sort of sad in a way.Here in the U.S life is quite difficult for me. When I return I'll not have much money and I'll be doing menial work, but at least there will be public transporation and when I see the doctor I wont have to worry about being able to afford it. I will also be able to walk to the library, post office, shops etc and occasionally take a train or bus ride and enjoy the wonderful scenery.

pippalonghorn Aug 9th 2014 2:09 pm

That choice of words: "We are better off not only financially but also mentally and in ways that cant be measured" sums up all that I wanted to say. :cool:

We have been back home now since May and I couldnt be happier. Thanks for a great post and for helping me to describe how I feel. :goodpost: