Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Back Home
Reload this Page >

2.5 Years On - Moving Within The UK

2.5 Years On - Moving Within The UK

Old Aug 3rd 2015, 8:51 pm
Forum Regular

Pupsiecola is a glorious beacon of lightPupsiecola is a glorious beacon of lightPupsiecola is a glorious beacon of lightPupsiecola is a glorious beacon of lightPupsiecola is a glorious beacon of lightPupsiecola is a glorious beacon of lightPupsiecola is a glorious beacon of lightPupsiecola is a glorious beacon of lightPupsiecola is a glorious beacon of lightPupsiecola is a glorious beacon of lightPupsiecola is a glorious beacon of light
Default 2.5 Years On - Moving Within The UK

I posted early last year about struggling to be back in the UK after a year in SE Asia. We moved back because our youngest DS (then 8) was incredibly unhappy at school and school were very unsupportive, ultimately leaving us no choice.

We have now bought a house in Hampshire; we were in Surrey before but didn't want to return to our old town plus we were at the mercy of finding two school places at Easter time for DCs. We bought because we were lucky enough to be able to, and because we had been renting for a year which was very expensive.

We're still not settled. We moved to this area having not seen it in person as we had to apply (to 27 schools) from 7000 miles away. Our choices are move in the next year or two, or wait until the DCs are through school (the latter is the likely option). Things aren't dire. But we are not emotionally invested in where we live and know it's not our long-term home.

I just want to ask whether anyone moved back to the UK and then at some point moved elsewhere within the UK (not from one end to the other, but say to another county within the same region)? I'm assuming it would be easier on the kids than moving overseas, but part of me wonders if actually they'd be changing schools and having to make new friends etc. so perhaps for them it is just as bad as a big move...

TIA
Old Aug 4th 2015, 9:51 am
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2.5 Years On - Moving Within The UK

Originally Posted by Pupsiecola
I posted early last year about struggling to be back in the UK after a year in SE Asia. We moved back because our youngest DS (then 8) was incredibly unhappy at school and school were very unsupportive, ultimately leaving us no choice.

We have now bought a house in Hampshire; we were in Surrey before but didn't want to return to our old town plus we were at the mercy of finding two school places at Easter time for DCs. We bought because we were lucky enough to be able to, and because we had been renting for a year which was very expensive.

We're still not settled. We moved to this area having not seen it in person as we had to apply (to 27 schools) from 7000 miles away. Our choices are move in the next year or two, or wait until the DCs are through school (the latter is the likely option). Things aren't dire. But we are not emotionally invested in where we live and know it's not our long-term home.

I just want to ask whether anyone moved back to the UK and then at some point moved elsewhere within the UK (not from one end to the other, but say to another county within the same region)? I'm assuming it would be easier on the kids than moving overseas, but part of me wonders if actually they'd be changing schools and having to make new friends etc. so perhaps for them it is just as bad as a big move...

TIA
Where are you in Hampshire that's so awful? I like Hampshire, I lived in Fleet while going through Junior school and still visit now when seeing old friends. I must admit though, I do prefer Berkshire as a whole and have lived in and around here for many years (apart from 6 years in Canada).

I think as far as the kids are concerned, changing schools whether just down the road or 8,ooo miles away is tough, especially in the teenage years. They do adjust though and ultimately, one day our kids will leave us to live where they want to be, so you need to be happy where you live.
Old Aug 4th 2015, 1:00 pm
Forum Regular

Pupsiecola is a glorious beacon of lightPupsiecola is a glorious beacon of lightPupsiecola is a glorious beacon of lightPupsiecola is a glorious beacon of lightPupsiecola is a glorious beacon of lightPupsiecola is a glorious beacon of lightPupsiecola is a glorious beacon of lightPupsiecola is a glorious beacon of lightPupsiecola is a glorious beacon of lightPupsiecola is a glorious beacon of lightPupsiecola is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for the reply. I didn't mean to imply that where we are is awful. We're between Winchester and Southampton. It's a very long commute for my DH. Part-time jobs for me are non existent. We both grew up in the countryside but having lived in Singapore I think it made us appreciate city life more. A busy town would be good. So it's not that it's awful where we are, just not a great fit for what we want. And I'm not expecting to find the perfect place either btw! Would be nice, but obviously doesn't exist.
Old Aug 4th 2015, 1:56 pm
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pupsiecola
Thanks for the reply. I didn't mean to imply that where we are is awful. We're between Winchester and Southampton. It's a very long commute for my DH. Part-time jobs for me are non existent. We both grew up in the countryside but having lived in Singapore I think it made us appreciate city life more. A busy town would be good. So it's not that it's awful where we are, just not a great fit for what we want. And I'm not expecting to find the perfect place either btw! Would be nice, but obviously doesn't exist.

OK, yeah I like living in a smaller town but with access to large towns/cities. Reading is just 10 minutes by train which is a large town & we're just 1 hour to London.